PDA

View Full Version : hmm...extra bolts

zephead400ex
05-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, got a problem. I am putting my quad back together and have 2 bolts that were with my a-arms that I have no idea what they go too. Mind you that the a-arms and shocks are all I have put back on.

This is what I have:
8 a-arm mount bolts
4 shock mounts
2 - (extra bolts) These are about 1/2" longer than the a-arm bolts.

Any ideas what the longer bolts are? Sorry for the poop of a description. I have determined that the Clymer's manual really sucks.

TCracin440ex
05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
pics of the bolts....a description tells me nothing....

zephead400ex
05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Sorry for the poop of a description.

Originally posted by TCracin440ex
pics of the bolts....a description tells me nothing....

If I had a pic of them I would post it, but I don't. I figured I would post the question and if someone knew off hand, great.

I will get a pic tomorrow.

Anyone else know?

zephead400ex
05-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Here is a pic. The bolts in question are the 2 on the left. The middle 2 bolts are the shock mount bolts. The bolts on the right are 2 of the a-arm bolts.

Anyone know what the 2 on the left a for. I am sure I will figure it out, but would like some input if anyone has any. I have not been feeling well the past few days and have not had a chance to get much together.

Thanks.

zephead400ex
05-27-2004, 11:11 AM
here is the pic

cletusEX
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
They might be for the rear shock and linkage.

zephead400ex
05-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
They might be for the rear shock and linkage.

well...I didn't take the linkage apart. It has to be something up front....:confused:

cals400ex
05-27-2004, 01:06 PM
you should have a total of 8 bolts/nuts from the a-arms. then 4 more for the front shocks. i assume you didn't take the steering shaft off?? there are small bolts that hold the brake lines to the a-arm.

how much of the bike did you actually have apart??

zephead400ex
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I took everything off. However, I left the swing arm, rear shock and linkage, and axle all connected. Pulled off the a-arms, steering stem, all electrical wires, cdi. I did remove but have not had a chance to install the stem, but I do believe I have the correct hardware to install it.

I have the 8 bolts/nuts for the a-arms. I have the 4 bolts (same size right?) for the shock mounts. I have the 4 bolts for the bumper. I have all the bolts for the oil cooler. What else is there up front that the long bolts go too? The bolts were greased from factory if that helps.

Sorry for the shatty description.

TCracin440ex
05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
they dont go up front...they are to the shock....the place on the frame where the shock linkage comes and meets the frame, and the other 1 is for the upper shock mout...i did the same thing when i took my ex apart i took my rear shock/swingarm/tires/axle...the whole assend off in 1 assembly....but i did have 2 bolts to the rear...that was to the shock mount, and the linkage mount....but when i took my bike apart i had put my bolts all in a sperate areas and buckets to remember what went where....took me longer to take it apart than what it did to put it back together because i took time to arrange the bolts so where i could remember....they are to the shock mount and linkage mount...trust me

05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
The upper and lower shock bolts are NOT the same size.. :cool:

TCracin440ex
05-27-2004, 02:06 PM
no...not hte shock bolt...the linkage bolt....and the upper shock mount bolt..they were the same size on my bike....cuz they are almost the same lenght as the a-arm bolts

05-27-2004, 02:13 PM
no...not hte shock bolt...the linkage bolt....and the upper shock mount bolt..they were the same size on my bike....cuz they are almost the same lenght as the a-arm bolts

He didn't remove the rearend from what I gathered so it can't be linkage bolts..:confused:

I think somebodies counting is a little off....:o

TCracin440ex
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
yes its the linkage.....look at your ex where the shock linkage connects to the frame...he couldnt have had the bike p/c with hte assend still intact...so what he had to do is remove the swing arm bolt, remove the upper shock mount bolt..and on the frame where hte linkage bolts up

TCracin440ex
05-27-2004, 02:24 PM
the linkage bolts to the frame....and the shock bolts to the frame....both them bolts are the same part # and every thing from troy-racing.com and you can see on the diagram where the shock link bolts to the frame

zephead400ex
05-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico
The upper and lower shock bolts are NOT the same size.. :cool:

I believe I have all the shock bolts...they are the same size. The mounts appear to be the same size and the bolts, which were removed directly from the stock shocks, appear to mount fine.

I am going to have to check the rear shock mounts, that might be it. I will have to check when I get home.

Thanks guys.

Doibugu2
05-27-2004, 03:58 PM
those are for your bumper.

cletusEX
05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
The front shock bolts are definitly not the same size. I was out working on my front end today and they the top bolts are shorter.

Tommy 17
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
I believe I have all the shock bolts...they are the same size. The mounts appear to be the same size and the bolts, which were removed directly from the stock shocks, appear to mount fine.

they are DEF differnt sizes no questions ASKED.... the bottom is longer then the top...

the middle bolts in the picture are the upper shock mount bolts...

next time so this problem doesn't happen... put EVERY bolt in a plastic baggie with a tag on it saying what it goes to and the torque setting... u won't have to deal with this then...

Sprks450r04
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
top shock mount bolt is definitly longer than the bottom

zephead400ex
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
This is what I have found. I had 6 bolts the same size for the a-arms. I have all the shock mount bolts, yes there were different sizes. Since I had 6 a-arm bolts and 2 bolts that were longer, I put the longer bolts in the front lower mount for the a-arms. I have everything hooked up now and have not needed these 2 longer bolts. I believe they were in the lower arm mounts.

Thanks for the help guys. Just need a little guidence.

later