PDA

View Full Version : swing arms

daddio
05-26-2004, 07:31 AM
wich long travel swing arm works best? what are the advantages of going to a round housing over the stock axle carrier? houser makes both, laeger makes only the stock style, and most others are round housing. I love the round housing on the blaster. it's so much better than stock, but I haven't had the yfz long enough to see if there is anything goes bad. and it looks like the stock yfz carrier already has twin bearings (2 on each side) from the schematic in the service manual. I havn't had one apart yet.

SRH
05-26-2004, 04:31 PM
round housing is stronger, and 250r axle is stronger than a yfz, because of the diameters

powerstroke
05-28-2004, 05:27 PM
I always had round housing laegers on my 400ex. I now run a yfz for XC racing. I am still running the stock swingarm. Whats the difference you ask???? it takes about 2 minutes to adjust the chain on the round housing and about 5 minutes to adjust the chain on a YFZ swingarm. I know one guy who has broken a yfz stock swingarm( it lasted him about a year) racing cross country but most people are not having trouble. Ballance raced a stock yfz swingarm for almost a full season--that should say something right there. We used to put longer swingarms on our 400ex's because they needed it, but the yfz does not need a different length swingarm. i know if I break my stocker I am going to buy another stocker off of e-bay. You can pick them up for around a 100 bucks. Thats a drop in the pan compared to 6 or 700 bucks for an aftermarket swinger. People constantly whine about the chain adjustment on the yfz but its not that bad. Did I like the chain adjustment better on my round housing hondas? yes.... but the yfz isnt really that bad. You didnt state if you are racing XC or MX. I know for XC I would save my money if I were you and just buy a good standard travel rear shock. long travel makes little(or none) difference in XC racing. just my 2 cents. good luck . Matt

daddio
06-01-2004, 07:06 AM
the quad will be raced mostely mx with big air jumps. I would rather replace the weak swingarm before it broke on a landing from a big jump.