PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar stem wont clear IMS tank

Hotdog
05-26-2004, 05:51 AM
I got a stem off pappy last year and i purchased an IMS tank and it wont fit. I rubs the tank when the handlebars get turned.

Any ideas?

R3Concepts
05-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Cut it and add an inch. It has to be at least a +1 stem to clear an ims tank.

Admin
05-26-2004, 06:48 AM
Either change the stem back to stock or get a +1" Aftermarket stem that clears the tank. Also, you could also just put your stock tank back on the quad.

05-26-2004, 06:50 AM
I had a +1 stem and it didn't clear the IMS tank either. You have to have a +1 forward stem to clear the large ugly bubble on the IMS tanks....:macho

R3Concepts
05-26-2004, 06:51 AM
My Houser +1 clears my IMS no problem, I cant run the bar pad but that aint a big deal.

Admin
05-26-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
My Houser +1 clears my IMS no problem, I cant run the bar pad but that aint a big deal.

It isn't a big deal until you smack your quad into something and you chin and mouth slam down on the the bar clamp and slices you face open and leaves your teeth on the fenders.

I have seen it happen once, and it wasn't pretty. It is kinda like not wearing a helmet because eventually you will might pay the price. It is amazing how much of your mouth and chin is exposed under your helmet.

I have smacked my face on the bar pad two times now over the past 18 years of riding and both times I was thankful that it wasn't the metal. It only happened twice, but it did eventually happen.

R3Concepts
05-26-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks for looking out for me dad, but the only time I run my IMS tank is at the dunes, and my chin would hit the tank before the clamps, so...... besides im still young, itll heal.

05-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Thanks for looking out for me dad, but the only time I run my IMS tank is at the dunes, and my chin would hit the tank before the clamps, so...... besides im still young, itll heal.

Make sure to get pics and post them when it does happen...:blah:

bradley300
05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
you can also try and re-mold the tank a little, not sure how you do it, but it can be done, might be worth a try

Hotdog
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I was thinking about heating it up and bending it or add a spacer behind the stem holder to push it away alittle.

Pappy
05-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Hotdog
add a spacer behind the stem holder to push it away alittle.

ive done that before to help when an aftermarket tank is used...sometimes it offers just the clearence needed;)

dawnchris
05-26-2004, 06:20 PM
I had to go +1 up, +1 forward to get the clearance I needed. It's all good, since I prefer the bar position now anyway.

thump4863
05-26-2004, 08:20 PM
I had the same problem when I got my ims tank. My stock stem wouldnt clear so I go a JB racing +1 and it solved the problem.

Braff1
05-27-2004, 04:08 PM
On my daughter's 300 I filled the tank with water and used a small torch to head up the tank where I wanted to bend it. It don't take a lot of heat to soften up the plastic so keep the torch moving.

Admin
05-28-2004, 07:13 AM
All off topic comments have been removed, and I think everyone took one another a little too serious. If you see any of these characters :devil: :cool: :blah: at the end of a statement it means the person is just joking around.

This might not have been apparent, so I removed the comments so they wouldn't be taken out of context.

Lets all get along whether we will have teeth in the future or not:devil: