PDA

View Full Version : shock adjustment

exboy400
05-25-2004, 08:49 PM
can someone set me straight and help me out....the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the shock adjusts how fast the shock will come back up after it has been compressed.....the compression adjust knob on the rezzy adjusts how hard the shock will hit and how stiff the shock is...and the spring adjustment (up or down) is basically ride height....if i am wrong please tell me the correct adjustments

now the question is ......what do i adjust to get my back end from bouncing all over the place? i turned the rebound screw all the way in to see if it was rebounding too fast but that didnt help that much .. the spring is all the way at the top.. and the compression knob is like 12 clicks out, out of about 24

mxgirl
05-25-2004, 09:08 PM
You're right on in the explanation of how the shock settings work. Nice job!

To adjust the rebound of your rear shock, turn the screw to the plus (+) side, this will make the rebound stiffer (slower). It's like backwards when you adjust it :D
If the rebound is too stiff, the shock won't expand all the way back out before you hit again (ratcheting). When you do your adjustment, start in the middle and go do a test ride. When you adjust your rebound, turn it 2 clicks to the + side and go for another test spin (just turning it 1 click at a time won't show you enough of a difference). After that, adjust your compression and go for another spin. Don't adjust the rebound and compression at the same time, this can make you mis-read the problem.

Good Luck, I hope I was helpful! :)

exboy400
05-26-2004, 02:26 PM
thanks a ton...

05-26-2004, 02:28 PM
The only TRUE fix to get the kick out of the rearend on a 400ex is to replace the shock and to have - NO kick get a full LT elka shock and linkage...:eek2:

exboy400
05-26-2004, 05:23 PM
its actually a 250R with a stock shock and elka springs w/ssd