PDA

View Full Version : 250r woods parts

Martin Blair
05-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Im working on a 250r 2stroke woods project bike heres what i got so far any sugestions?

ESR trx6 pipe and silencer
38mm air striker carb
ESR 2000 8 peddle read block

im goign to get it poerted for low-mid power as well. any sugestions?

kyex40047
05-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Get a smaller carb, you'll use too much gas.

Martin Blair
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
so what soze stock? and would it be ok with a larger tank?

310Rduner
05-25-2004, 10:39 PM
I would go with a different reed block. The esr reed block is the best in drag races against v-force, but it focuses mainly on mid-top.. more of a draggers reed cage.

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Your motor will only use so much fuel, if a bigger carb allows you to add more fuel without being too rich you will gain power. Even if the carb is too big the velocity of the air and the vaccume signal from the motor will be weaker causing it to pick up the same ammount of fuel as the ideal sized carb just about, some will be wasted because the slower velocity of a bigger carb wont create as much fuel atomization but that wont be too big of a deal, a 38 isnt that big. You maybe oculd gain a little bit of throttle responce and even less low end torque with a smaller carb if thats you goal, but it isnt a 4 stroke anyway. (cent,cent)

m250r
05-26-2004, 06:02 AM
HN400exracer- where did you pick up that ESR exhaust? how much did you pay for it? Thanks

wilkin250r
05-26-2004, 09:18 AM
A bigger carb won't use all that much more fuel. It will use a little bit more, but only at high RPMs. I don't think you'll really notice a difference in fuel economy.

However, you may notice a difference in throttle response. Bigger carbs, like the 38mm and 39mm are good for top-end, but they stumble a little when you punch the gas quickly. If you want better throttle response and power off the line, go with a smaller carb, like a 36mm.

bone705
05-26-2004, 09:44 AM
is the kehein 36mm any good?

kyex40047
05-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
A bigger carb won't use all that much more fuel. It will use a little bit more, but only at high RPMs. I don't think you'll really notice a difference in fuel economy.

However, you may notice a difference in throttle response. Bigger carbs, like the 38mm and 39mm are good for top-end, but they stumble a little when you punch the gas quickly. If you want better throttle response and power off the line, go with a smaller carb, like a 36mm.
He is right go with a 35 to 36, and yes get a bigger gas tank. I have a stock carb and the engine has only been bored .20 over stock once. If I do a 4 lap gncc, sometimes I might pit in once for gas and thats with a IMS 4 gallon gas tank. But I use all top end.

Martin Blair
05-26-2004, 11:14 PM
I dont have any parts yet im still doing research to see whats best but i would buy direct from esr the trx6 pipe is 204 and the silencer is 99.

ok so here what i got now

36mm pwk carb
v-force read block
ESR trx6 pipe
ESR oring silencer

anywhere I can buy a whole set of jets for 250r?

edit: how loud is the esr silencer? those ive heard quiter then my 400 but anyone know decibles?

Martin Blair
05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
also would a cool head with hi compersion dome be a good idea along with a port to match all my parts from esr?

310Rduner
05-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm not a woods rider really, but a hi compression dome for low-mid range (you can choose low-mid, mid-high from esr) will make the bike pull MUCH harder. I don't quite know if that would be a good thing for the woods, as many woods riders try to make the R's as smooth as possible; and high compression is going to yank your arms off.

wilkin250r
05-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I would DEFINITLY get a head and port job. Next to a pipe, they are the most important aspect of your power curve. If you want to make good power, either arm-pulling, hillshooting top-end power or smooth, stumb-pulling low-end power, a good head and a matched port and pipe are essential.

If it came to a choice between the carb or the porting, go with the porting. The porting will do much more than the carb will.

sleestack71
05-27-2004, 02:26 PM
HN400exracer, ESR sells the whole set of jets.

wilkin250r
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I'm not a woods rider really, but a hi compression dome for low-mid range (you can choose low-mid, mid-high from esr) will make the bike pull MUCH harder. I don't quite know if that would be a good thing for the woods, as many woods riders try to make the R's as smooth as possible; and high compression is going to yank your arms off.
The high-compression shouldn't yank your arms off. That will more related to the porting and pipe than the compression. If you TRULY want ultra-smooth power, get the powervalve cylinder.

They are very pricey, I think the kit from ESR is $1500, but they really smooth out the powerband. I went from a stock motor and compression and nearly doubled the horsepower with the 340 powervalve with a mid-top end pipe, and the powerband was still much smoother on the big engine.

Keep in mind, however, that some people LIKE that sharp powerband. There is something about that sharp boost in power and acceleration that is really fun to ride. It can get tiring in the long run, but if you're just in it for the thrill, that sharp powerband sure is fun!

Martin Blair
05-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I' d like to keep it smooth,Im wokring on this bike for a whole year so buy the time its ready to race I should ahve plenty of money for port and carb along with everyhting else.

I would like a smooth powerband, but also power that hits hard in low and mid range without sacraficing alot of topend, pretty much all arround focused on low end more then top. I will talk to esr about it when it can time to get a port.

so anything else?

ESR TRX 6 pipe and silencer
V-force read cage
36mm carb
esr head with low-mid dome
and a port to match

any other motor work or parts that would be better alternative?

250rmike
05-29-2004, 07:15 AM
dont know what you have done to the chassis but i would work on that too. it the woods you want good low-mid. if the power is real hard hitting than it will wear you out quicker. i would call esr, ct ,lrd any of those company's and see what kind of stuff they recommend. of course they will reccomend tyheir own products. you can also look at the gncc racers still using r's and see what they are running

250rpilot
05-29-2004, 09:34 AM
for a carb, the 36mm pj or the 35mm pwk air stryker are the best choices on a 250r, IMHO. i have a 38pwk a/s on my 330pv, and it still stumbles just a little it if i mash it in the woods at low rpm.