PDA

View Full Version : stupid fmf question

gsxtc
05-25-2004, 06:04 PM
ok guys, this is a gay question but i have to ask it....

my 400ex came with a fmf mega max, but the stock pipe was still on the quad. I was gonna put it on but i realized i didnt have a muffler clamp, and my cousin told me there was none, is this true?

dawnchris
05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Mine has a clamp

04'400ex'er
05-25-2004, 06:11 PM
All slip ons come with clamps.

gsxtc
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
i thought they did, i didnt look at it too long, but it just makes since to have a clamp there, my cousin said it had an o ring or somthing.... so gay :rolleyes:

TC426EX
05-25-2004, 07:38 PM
MEGAMAX'S ARE THE WORST!!!! SELL IT!!!!! BREAK IT!!!! BURN IT!!!! THROW IT OFF A ROOF!!!! DO ANYTHING BUT KEEP IT!!!!

gsxtc
05-25-2004, 09:10 PM
i dont like it, thats why i have not put it on, anyone wanna buy a mega max?

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Huh, I know two people with Megamax pipes and they both have some very good running 400s to be stock, I disagree. Both people also have no disks and are running them strait through. Yes they most defenately have a clamp, just like my powercore.

Gatorman199
05-26-2004, 05:53 AM
I have a FMF megamax pipe and it works fine for me and has been since 2001. Yeah, there was a power diff when I put it on too.

04'400ex'er
05-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Gatorman199
I have a FMF megamax pipe and it works fine for me and has been since 2001. Yeah, there was a power diff when I put it on too. You will get a power increase with any pipe, simply from the increased air flow. You can take the torch to the stocker and I'd bet you could beat the Megamax!:eek2: Anyone wanna back me up on this?

400EXracer74
05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
i have an fmf powercore 4 and i love it and it didnt come with a clamp and even if it did it wouldnt be able to tighten the spacer that i need. it works fine no leaks

khen
05-26-2004, 10:28 PM
I did the stock exhaust mod (here) (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm) and noticed a slight power increase. I then bought a used Power Bomb head pipe with a Megamax muffler and took it over to the field by my house and launched as I usually would and about flipped it over! I definitly noticed the power increase with this combo. I don't know how it compares to other pipes, but I can say that it was an improvement from the stock and modified stock exhaust.

hondarider2006
05-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by khen
I did the stock exhaust mod (here) (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm) and noticed a slight power increase. I then bought a used Power Bomb head pipe with a Megamax muffler and took it over to the field by my house and launched as I usually would and about flipped it over! I definitly noticed the power increase with this combo. I don't know how it compares to other pipes, but I can say that it was an improvement from the stock and modified stock exhaust.

Me and a friend tried that stupid stock pipe mod...and it ended up just being more of a pain in the @$$ than anything. If you want more power through a pipe....save your $ and buy an aftermarket. But to answer the main question here, yes it needs a clamp;)

diesel-mech
05-27-2004, 06:53 PM
From all the info that I've gathered the mega max pipes are great when you first put them on but in a lot of cases (not all) that power goes away quickly, you may or may not notice it loosing power but it prabably is. Dad put the RCA(dg) exhaust on his 300ex and said it is totally a different bike, He said it feels "sporty" again. the megmax was robbing it. But the guy he bought the quad from claims the FMF had awsome power when he bought it. So it lost it somewhere along the line, The quad is an 02 and the fmf was bought when the quad was new.

khen
05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
From all the info that I've gathered the mega max pipes are great when you first put them on but in a lot of cases (not all) that power goes away quickly, you may or may not notice it loosing power but it prabably is. Dad put the RCA(dg) exhaust on his 300ex and said it is totally a different bike, He said it feels "sporty" again. the megmax was robbing it. But the guy he bought the quad from claims the FMF had awsome power when he bought it. So it lost it somewhere along the line, The quad is an 02 and the fmf was bought when the quad was new.
I wonder how much of this is just psychological though.. Obviously different exhausts give power in different RPM bands. I wonder if you just get used to one exhaust and then put on a new one and the different power hit makes it feel like it's pulling harder. I know this has happened to me on every quad/motorcyle I have ever owned. Once I get used to a configuration it feels like it's slow, but when someone else gets on it they think it's crazy fast. :eek2:

diesel-mech
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by khen
I wonder how much of this is just psychological though.. Obviously different exhausts give power in different RPM bands. I wonder if you just get used to one exhaust and then put on a new one and the different power hit makes it feel like it's pulling harder. I know this has happened to me on every quad/motorcyle I have ever owned. Once I get used to a configuration it feels like it's slow, but when someone else gets on it they think it's crazy fast. :eek2:

Problem is on his 300ex I even think its slow and I hardly ever ride it. Main reason I don't ride it is to me it just doesn't run right. I don't like it! Dad thinks his old 87trx250 would smoke it. So now he says its much better, I haven't ridin it yet to make my own opinion but I'll let you know.