PDA

View Full Version : Over paddling (opinions needed)

310Rduner
05-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I am going to be ordering some Skat-Trak extremes for my R. I currently have 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers, but want to get more aggressive with the paddles. In loose sand I seem to churn the sand loose more than I get forward momentum.. and on the wet beach I get extreme traction... lifting wheelies in 5th gear. I basically want to get that quality of traction in the looser stuff if possible. My bike is an 86 esr310 with: trx-9 mid-top end port, Trx5-Centermount pipe (mid-high, very strong pulling), 38mm Mikuni Tmx carb, carbon reeds, and stock length swingarm. I am a very aggressive rider with the throttle. I will spend a decent amount of time in the drags racing, but also spend an equal amount of time carving and jumping. I am willing to sacrifice a slight amount of general riding ease with the paddles in favor of getting more traction; however I do NOT want a paddle that is going to be strictly drag oriented and compromise completely for any other riding. If you think there is a diferent tire from skat-trak that would give me the traction I'm looking for in a better way than another # of paddles or rim size let me know. Oh..I was planning on ordering the paddle in 20x10x10 unless there is a better setup.Thanks in advance for any help.

BlueZ440
05-25-2004, 05:30 PM
My friend has the same 310R with pretty much all the same mods and he was killing St Anthony Dunes.. He runs 20X10x10 10paddles Haulers...He pretty much was crown the Dunes King for that weekend..Beating anything that came up to the line...

hondaexryda
05-30-2004, 04:37 PM
22x11x10 8paddle haulers

PismoGuy400
06-14-2004, 10:58 PM
as i was thinking to myself.. i wouyld go w/ the 22s like hondaexryda said, but that is when i realized you said you wanted the most traction possible.

i would say youre making the right choice when staying w/ the 20s and going w/ the 10 paddle tire

good luck.

310Rduner
06-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Pismo go, we should go to Hollister or pismo sometime..:) My friend wanted to go on the trip to St A's but had to do summer school so we might hit hollister or Pismo when I get back.

I just got a cr ignition, and v-force reeds... so I may be needing a little more traction in the sand:blah:

Talking with andrew and donnie, they were recommending I go with 22-11-8's and get 9 paddle extremes so that I wouldn't have as hard a time launching. Supposedly the 22's help the front end from coming up to hard, and you can launch a bit harder.

Edit: I lied.... I'm ordering a +5mm stroker tomorrow from esr. Unforseen crank blowing-up-age has lead me to either get a new oem crank, or get the stroker I wanted anyways.. no other way I can get a crank in time for St A's. I guess I'll just have to live with teh stroker:macho

twisted threads
06-15-2004, 03:37 AM
If you go with a 22 rear I wouldn't get any more than 8 paddle's and on the 20 inch rear I would get the 9 paddle.... I run the 20x10x10 8paddle rears and have no problems hooking up any were I want. good luck on what ever you get!:D

Aallron
06-29-2004, 01:42 AM
If you adjust the air pressure in the rear tires it will help a great deal... less air = more traction, up to a point. In addition I would make incremental adjustments to my compression adjuster. Count the clicks in and write it down, back it all the way out and see how you like it, then go the other way ... you can always return it to where you started.