PDA

View Full Version : question for welders

Bubba
05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Can cast be welded? like the brake drum on my friends quad stripped out a long time ago and we had it welded but the weld broke. And the dude that welded it said he could weld it but it would never hold for a long time. Is there a special way to weld cast or do you need a special welder. thanks, bubba

AtvMxRider
05-25-2004, 02:16 PM
You are wasting you time welding cast.

Berry
05-25-2004, 03:27 PM
i dont think you can weld cast, maybe with some special welder but we just use stick welders/tig

wvspeedfreak
05-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I believe you have to use "nickel" rods to weld cast.

Guy400
05-25-2004, 06:57 PM
There are special methods for welding cast but at the cost of doing it you might as well just buy a new drum. Not only that but a brake drum is under a lot of pressure so it's a good idea to replace it anyway.

Bubba
05-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
There are special methods for welding cast but at the cost of doing it you might as well just buy a new drum. Not only that but a brake drum is under a lot of pressure so it's a good idea to replace it anyway.

well when the drum stripped out ir rounded down the splines on the axle and the other hub was already welded up, so my friend would have to buy a new axle and both hubs..the cheapest axle i can find is 200 bucks, and the drum is like 80 and the other hub is like 50.so i dunno..the first time we did it we grinded out a notch and put a key way in, maybe i'll do that again..:confused:

TC426EX
05-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Cast has to be heated up real hot and then welded specially i do believe. Not worth it, just hit up ebay and find another one,,,,

nuttynewt
05-26-2004, 09:14 AM
The previous posts are correct. You must use rods or wire that has a high nickel content, plus for the best results the piece should be pre-heated. On a part like a brake drum, I wouldn't recommend even messing with it.