PDA

View Full Version : Noises

italanboy
05-25-2004, 10:02 AM
I am hearing two problems that i whould like to no if anyone is experienceing. One is my brakes seem like they are grinding every few seconds but not continusley. Another is that i am not getting firm shifts when i fully shift and every now and then i will catch nuetural when shiffting out of first into second. What chould this problems be and what should i do to fix them?

cals400ex
05-25-2004, 11:28 AM
for smoother shifting, just simply change the oil. it is quite possible that you are just short shifting and hitting neutral instead of second gear.

i would just check the condition of the pads and see how they look. they could be worn out.

2003400exmnymds
05-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I had the same problem. Every once in a while, only when the engine was really warm, I would have trouble shifting into 2nd. I would go to neutral by accident. It could be alot of things, 1 your oil could be losing viscosity, and the other problem your shifter forks could be slightly bent, due to lack of viscosity or just breakdown of viscosity. On my 03 400ex, my left crankcase chipped enough for the shifter bearing to come out of its racer and so did all other bearings in the racer. Long story short, $1600 later I have a brand new tranny, due to lack of viscosity. I run 20W50 Valvoline racing oil, (Advance Auto $2.32) a quart which is a good price, but not much of a price to pay for my tranny. Good Luck with that.......

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I agree with the oil thing, and for the brakes make sure that the rubber bushings going through the caliper bolts are intact and that everything is tight. My bro's Banshee makes that noise (amoung many others) and its cuz he dosent have the rubber pieces at all.

2003400exmnymds
05-25-2004, 05:34 PM
I really dont know whats going on but, lets stick to the subject at hand. Another thing with the brakes, you might have sand imbedded into your pads, those things are pretty soft.