PDA

View Full Version : What's needed for no airbox?

mikeboone
03-21-2002, 06:35 PM
I read on Hott440 's post he had his K&N air filter mounted directly to the carb. This eliminates the whole airbox and boot from box to carb. I tried to pm but his box is full. Does anyone know what mod you need to make to do this. It looks as though there may be an adapter plate to install--anyone have it? Thanks

03-21-2002, 07:05 PM
take the air boot off the air box and reclamp the filter on it. then make up a bracket to hold the air boot and filter up so it doesn't drag.

Wheelie
03-21-2002, 08:10 PM
The Pro Design Pro Flow kit retails for $94.95 w/K&N Filter. Everything you need to eliminate your airbox.:D

03-21-2002, 08:58 PM
if you stick with your stock filter which i would unless your a dune rider theres really no need for that kit. the stock airfilter clamps down on the tube. even if you use a aftermarket you can us a metal ring or pvc pipe probly to make it. all you really need is to fab up a bracket to hold the filter up

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 08:41 AM
HOTT440 got his kit from James Lucky. It is $75

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 08:42 AM
I asked TC if he reccomend it and he said definately NOT. Unless you want to waste all this money your giving me!!

VegasEx'r
03-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
I asked TC if he reccomend it and he said definately NOT. Unless you want to waste all this money your giving me!!

Chad,
Why did he say not to do it? Is it just because of the increased exposure of the filter? I have removed my airbox completely, & I just used bailing wire (:D ) to hold the air boot in place. Since it almost never rains where I live, I don't have to worry about water/mud, and the swingarm, engine & plastic of the quad still do a good job of protecting the filter. Should I ever go riding in the water/mud, it takes 5 minutes to put the air box back on. I certianly wouldn't spend 75-90 dollars for a kit that will let you renove the airbox, especially when you can do it yourself for only a couple of bucks.

ChadEXer
04-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Late poet again
he said it is exposed to too much dirt without the airbox!!

VegasEx'r
04-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Chad, that is true, I am cleaning my filter after every other ride & my outerwears after every ride now. I was just wondering if he had seen some damage occur.

SporTrax400
04-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I was thinking of a way to mount an air filter directly to the carb. All I need to find is an air filter that will fit.

Greg

nakomis0
04-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Most the guys I see are just hose clamping, the K&N filter directly to the carb. of course remove the hole airbox.
Take your carb off and take it up to the local K&N sales loction and have them match up a K&N directly to the carb.
You don't need any thing holding the filter, its fine with just a hose clamp.
I have buddies running this setup on about 3 of there machines. 2 banshees, and one frankinstein, 80ish Honda 3 wheeler, with a 500 honda streetbike engine, sqeezed inside..

ChadEXer
04-17-2002, 03:19 PM
Tom told me to use an airbox and Im gonna do that! I just dont see how it could make that much of a difference without a box anyway!!! not only that i got one of those trick aluminum boxes powdercoated!!!!

trx400ex
04-17-2002, 04:27 PM
i run a airfilter mounted directly to the carb.. it makes a big difrence and it exposes the filter more, but thats why you have a filter,eh?

SporTrax400
04-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey trx400ex, what kind of air filter are you running. Do you have a model number?

Thanks Greg