PDA

View Full Version : Owners of aftermarket frames please read

Lethalhonda2
05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I was wondering what kind of problems you had bolting parts back on? Please specify parts,frame,make (400ex,250r,Banshee ect)

pnut420
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I just got a LSR frame for a YZ motor that uses 400ex parts, so far everything has bolted up great and I couldnt be happier

gibson400ex
05-25-2004, 04:55 AM
if money isnt an option, go with walsh, then i would go with lsr, people say aren's is an awesoem frame and everything, but atleast 3 people on the boards have had trouble with his frame's.

Lethalhonda2
05-25-2004, 06:04 AM
people say aren's is an awesoem frame and everything, but atleast 3 people on the boards have had trouble with his frame's.
I'm one of those!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Pappy
05-25-2004, 06:54 AM
Walsh is top of the line IMO...the one's ive worked with have been flawless in regards to fit and finish.

LSR makes a good frame and the only issue I have seen with them is the oil tank mount doest like to work with certain aftermarket tanks.

LRD was on the right track until they got derailed by making a frame that you can only assemble if the moon and planets are in perfect alignment!

Arens makes a nice looking frame, welds are great and the frame is strong. I have only read about fit issues as of late....but never actually put an Arens chassis together so I cant speak from first hand knowledge.

Roll frames are another good frame with a price tag to match.

Leagers is top notch, but i'm not sure about them since the rights to build that frame were sold off to another company

XANDADA
05-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Leagers is top notch, but i'm not sure about them since the rights to build that frame were sold off to another company

Anyone know who that is? I talked to Jody B. last week and he said the talks fell through and is still only making his own stuff - JB Racing...

Sandsjbyz22
05-25-2004, 08:42 AM
I have a YZ 450 frame done by Jody and one of his swingarms with a laeger Protrax. I couldnt ask for better work and a nicer guy to deal with. Have not had one problem putting parts on my frame.

fast250x
05-25-2004, 05:24 PM
what about gibson frames?

gibson400ex
05-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I Have a Walsh Frame and coulnt be happier.

BIGBLOCKBILL
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm building an LSR 400EX and have had the following problems so far, Pingry's oil tank won't fit,one lower a-arm took some BFH adjusting,Clarke tank won't sit down on mounts,lower stem bearing and seals don't fit like they should,steering stem sits about half inch taller than stock,Ohlins shocks hit fender mounts on top,front brake line bracket in wrong place,and no holes or studs for wiring harness. Nothing real bad just some small stuff to make the job difficult. Anyone have an LRD attitude frame for 400EX? I'm thinking of building one,any problems?Will they accept stock type 400EX parts?

cletusEX
05-25-2004, 09:43 PM
My 400ex has an Arens frame. I also couldn't use the oversized Pingry oil tank. Had trouble mounting some of the oil lines and oil cooler. The plastic and gas tank took some modifiying but they fit good now. And I can't find a center skid plate that mounts up good. The welds and strength of the frame seem really nice so i guess a few small problems are not that big of a deal.

Lethalhonda2
05-26-2004, 05:26 AM
The welds and strength of the frame seem really nice so i guess a few small problems are not that big of a deal.
Yes but when you spend twice as much and sometimes more and its suppose to be stock geometry all stock parts should bolt on with no problems.I can tell you first hand about custom jobs I've had to do on aftermarket parts to make them fit and I dont see why.We all spend money to make our quads better but we shouldnt have to be engineers just to make the parts fit.

QuAdEr 317
05-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Lethalhonda2
I can tell you first hand about custom jobs I've had to do on aftermarket parts to make them fit and I dont see why.We all spend money to make our quads better but we shouldnt have to be engineers just to make the parts fit.

same thing happen to me with a arms.. spend a lot of money n they dont even bolt right up with sum just my opinion

cletusEX
05-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Lethalhonda2
Yes but when you spend twice as much and sometimes more and its suppose to be stock geometry all stock parts should bolt on with no problems.I can tell you first hand about custom jobs I've had to do on aftermarket parts to make them fit and I dont see why.We all spend money to make our quads better but we shouldnt have to be engineers just to make the parts fit.

I totally understand. I've just come to expect aftermarket parts to not fit exactly. I was just saying that the arens frame I bought only had some minor problems compared to major problems like the a-arms won't work or the engine won't mount up. It's all in perspective.

pnut420
05-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BIGBLOCKBILL
I'm building an LSR 400EX and have had the following problems so far, Pingry's oil tank won't fit,one lower a-arm took some BFH adjusting,Clarke tank won't sit down on mounts,lower stem bearing and seals don't fit like they should,steering stem sits about half inch taller than stock,Ohlins shocks hit fender mounts on top,front brake line bracket in wrong place,and no holes or studs for wiring harness. Nothing real bad just some small stuff to make the job difficult. Anyone have an LRD attitude frame for 400EX? I'm thinking of building one,any problems?Will they accept stock type 400EX parts?

I will be bolting Roll a-arms up to mine so I will see how that goes, but as far as the oil tank, I did not order a pingry because from the pics I saw of my frame I knew it would not fit. My stem bearings and everything line up perfect and I dont want a +1 stem, 1/2 inch would be perfect for me. So far I am really happy with it and cant wait to try it out. :D

Lethalhonda2
05-27-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm still waiting on my custom bearing setup.I am really hesitating on bolting anything else up. I dont want to have to send the whole frame back, but I dont want a frame thats half *** either. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on the A-arms today but they are going to take a BFH to make fit.I'm also taking the frame to a machine shop for a little advice on the steering stem bearing problem. Thanks for everyone that has posted, I really wanted to see if other frames out there did or didnt match up to specs and it sounds as though mine is one of thoughs exceptions:mad:

RedsRacing
06-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Just got my arens 250r frame and the steering stem bearing is a problem for me also. The only way the stem will line up is with the bearing crooked in the race.

Lethalhonda2
06-10-2004, 08:24 PM
. The only way the stem will line up is with the bearing crooked in the race.
You need to remember that I took the frame to a machinest that did measuring for me.This doesnt mean he simply eye balled it. We found the entire housing to be off be 50 thousandths. Which may not sound like alot but by the time you get to the top of the stem it has only magnified itself.Trust me I was really hoping that the bearing was in crooked...