PDA

View Full Version : JB long travel Pics

outacontrol31
05-24-2004, 08:43 PM
any body have any good close up pics or know where i might find some, any help is greatly appreciated. ;)

kgbg
05-24-2004, 10:37 PM
How about this...
http://www.hondars.com/uploads/post-24-1084544345.jpg
http://www.hondars.com/uploads/post-24-1084544614.jpg

Bartman012
05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
How wide is the quad with those new a-arms? I've got the same ones coming and was curious to know the width. I have the Hiper beadlocks that are the 4+1 I believe. Thanks

kgbg
05-25-2004, 09:48 AM
those are +3-3/8"
I am 51 wide on stock rims

Bartman012
05-25-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm getting the +2 3/8 with the 4-1 offset Hiper's. I'm hoping I'm under 50" I'd like to be around 48. I'll try and post a pic next week sometime. I'm putting them on Thursday night and headed to the dunes on Friday, coming back on Monday!

05-25-2004, 10:51 AM
You would think PEP would come up witha way to use the longer travel better...:confused:

It appears that 5 inches of the shock are wasted and is just down right ugly...:huh IMO

outacontrol31
05-25-2004, 11:14 AM
thats what i was thinkin, i'll be gettin axis to go with my jb front end

roostin_dale
05-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You would think PEP would come up witha way to use the longer travel better...:confused:

It appears that 5 inches of the shock are wasted and is just down right ugly...:huh IMO

I've thought that too. Everytime i see them..
I have never been a big fan of PEP...

kgbg
05-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Ugly is an opinion.....
Why do you say ...?

It appears that 5 inches of the shock are wasted
How do you figure its 5" wasted?
I am curious.

Pappy
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
now thats a LONG shock:p maybe its just the extra 9 inches of pre load adjustment:D

05-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kgbg
Ugly is an opinion.....
Why do you say ...?

How do you figure its 5" wasted?
I am curious.

Have you not looked at your own quad???

Yes it's just an opinion nothing toward you at all, but the extra 10 inches or whatever it is left of the shock body unused seems like a waste and doesn't help the already ugly look of the 450R. 5 inches was my first guess, after looking at it again it looks more like 10 inches.

What i was saying is that now that quads have LT setups it's time for PEP to start using those longer shafts instead of wasting them. Elka for example goes to 4 springs instead of 3 on their LT shocks. I guess Wayne at PEP needs to figure out that techology is growing and so must he.

Nobody can convince me that PEP couldn't make more use out of all that space..:rolleyes: He doesn't want to change what already works and has worked for years but times are changing and he still thinks its 1995 i think....:huh

kgbg
05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Rico,
Yeah I have looked at it, once or twice. Are you saying that because its ugly, or are you hinting that I was suckered on my shocks?
For some odd reason I belive what Wayne and Mark say about shocks more than you. Maybe thats where I am wrong. All I know is that I have more than enough travel , above 12", and it handles better than any quad I have ever ridden. Everyone else says the same thing.
Obvioulsy, you have talked to somebody about it before...

Nobody can convince me that PEP couldn't make more use out of all that space..
So I won't try.
So I ask you ...
Whats your point?
Is it that you are smarter at shock designs than PEP?

Or you just wanted to take pot shots at my set up?

I just want to be clear.
Somebody asked for a pic. I obliged, and gave info regarding dimensions.
Whats you story?
Here are the actual measurements.
http://www.hondars.com/uploads/post-16-1085511340.jpg

05-25-2004, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kgbg
[B]
Whats you story?
QUOTE]

No story, just my opinion.

The looks of 450r's are ugly i don't feel you were suckered at all with the shocks you purchased, dam fine shocks but why hasn't PEP come up with a solution for the extra space not used on the LT shocks....:confused: That is the beef I have, it's not your quad or your choice in aftermarket products..

Cool beans now....:cool: :confused:

kgbg
05-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Cool beans now
Never was a problem, I am cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.
I think looks are the VERY last thing somebody should be concerned about when looking for performance.
But I think it looks good, better than that muddy *** xc sled you ride;)
I am crrious....I am new to the LT game.
If I am geting as much travel as the Elka's you mentioned, then what do you think PEP should do with that extra "wasted" area? (when I was shopping I called every shock maker (PEP, TCS, Elka, Custom Axis)and they all told me that I would have the same travel (12+"), adjustments (comp, pre, and reb), but of course they all said theirs were the best.
Do you get 15"+ travel out of LT Elkas with my set up?
My buddies PEP ZPS (std travel) have 4 springs, Elka has options for 3 and 4 spring shocks, are the 4 (elite?) only in S.S.D.?

I like to buy American as much as possible, I tried a C dale moto, no fing way, so I try to at least buy my aftermarket through USA companies, not Canadian, otherwise I would go with Elka.

05-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by kgbg

But I think it looks good, better than that muddy *** xc sled you ride;)

If I had feelings that comment might have hurt them.....:o

PEPwalshZ440
05-25-2004, 02:46 PM
dude adjust them freakin peps....u prolly have less travel right there than stock!

kgbg
05-25-2004, 02:49 PM
PEPwalshz400whatever it is, how do you figure I have less travel than stock?
You think my preload is too stiff?

kgbg
05-25-2004, 02:50 PM
PEPwalshz400whatever it is, how do you figure I have less travel than stock?
You think my preload is too stiff?
Rico, I was only returning what was lobbed my way....and I ;) 'ed.

05-25-2004, 03:00 PM
RICO!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wasted there! The fame will bottom out on the ground way before the shafts of the shock bottom out. and the shaft will bottom out before the springs fully compress. So i am confused on your inturpritation of wasted space????? They could put longer springs on it that take up the rest of the space, BUT WHY. there is not need too. as long as the springs don't compress all the way before anything else bottoms it is all good. actually all other shocks are a waste of material having way more spring on there than what they need!

kgbg
05-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Thats exactly what I understood, but I think Rico does not believe it.

user101
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
i think what Rico is saying is that it would look better if the springs took up more space therefore eliminating that UGLY 5in. bare spot on the shock.

outacontrol31
05-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by user101
i think what Rico is saying is that it would look better if the springs took up more space therefore eliminating that UGLY 5in. bare spot on the shock.
sounds like the right idea to me but hey whatever floats your boat, if you like pink plastic, purple a-Arms and like to race in reverse than thats your problem not anybody elses:blah:

K_Fulk
05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
RICO!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wasted there! The fame will bottom out on the ground way before the shafts of the shock bottom out. and the shaft will bottom out before the springs fully compress. So i am confused on your inturpritation of wasted space????? They could put longer springs on it that take up the rest of the space, BUT WHY. there is not need too. as long as the springs don't compress all the way before anything else bottoms it is all good. actually all other shocks are a waste of material having way more spring on there than what they need!

Thats what I was thinking, plus more spring is going to add more weight, but i'm no shock builder.

Here is a pic of jb long travel a-arms.

05-26-2004, 06:26 AM
I understand the travel situation and that you can't have more travel then what the arms let you. My point is that I"m sure valving and more springs could be added for a better ride but since they have it working now why bother making it better....:cool:

05-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Rico you make no sense. all the valveing is there you couldn't add any more. you could add mor springs but why there is no need to it would not help the shocks at all.

What am I talking about I am not a PEP fan but I am defending their shocks :confused:

05-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Rico you make no sense. all the valveing is there you couldn't add any more. you could add mor springs but why there is no need to it would not help the shocks at all.

What am I talking about I am not a PEP fan but I am defending their shocks :confused:

I"m smackin you next time we see each other....:eek2:

I guess what i'm saying is we have 16 inch shocks and we have 19 inch shocks. Both have different spring rates and valving and the 19 in shocks offer a smoother ride correct. Ahh just faaaa get about itttt....:o

remlapr
05-26-2004, 08:02 AM
In the same way that tripple rate shocks are supposed to be better then dual rate, aren't quad rates suppose to be even better then tripple?? I thought that and the increased length of the shafts are the two advantages that longer shocks have :confused:

outacontrol31
05-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Thats what I was thinking, plus more spring is going to add more weight, but i'm no shock builder.

Here is a pic of jb long travel a-arms.

thanks for those pics, those are exactly what i needed to see how well they are built and how they look up close, thanks alot:cool:

kgbg
05-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Rico,
I was hoping you could answer my ?'s. I am not busting your balls, you know alot more about this than me, and I would love to hear your input.
Elka has Quad rates, and trip rates, are the quad and trip both avail on all configurations? Or is the quad rate only on the SSD?
PEP zps have 4 springs, or at least the set my buddy has, so I am wondering what I would see on ZPS LT's. I have a pic of Farrs bike, I will post it, I am sure he is running LT and most likely ZPS, his springs take up alot more of the body, or at least it appears that way...
What do you think....
http://www.hondars.com/uploads/post-32-1085408816.jpg

Pappy
05-26-2004, 10:45 AM
i think the looks of the shock (1st posted ) is what rico is refering too. they do look like someone took a damn shock off a baja racer and threw atv springs on them. im certain its more the angle of the picture because my shocks look long as hell in a picture.

i would agree that a zps set up like farrs would be the ticket, and looking at the shocks you could add that with no troubles

kgbg
05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Pappy, I did not go ZPS, because I am a desert guy, and I did not have the extra $$$ for a rear shock..

JWhite
05-26-2004, 11:24 AM
AXIS & PEP are second to none. I sure PEP knew what they were doing building those shocks. Like Pappy said, it's the angle of the pic. And Farr's shocks look to have the same amount of body showing to me.