PDA

View Full Version : What Else to clean K&N With

James Parent
05-24-2004, 05:58 PM
What else can i use to clean my K&N filter? the filter charger is too expensive to clean my filter after everytime i ride

quadkrazy400ex
05-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by James Parent
What else can i use to clean my K&N filter? the filter charger is too expensive to clean my filter after everytime i ride

i believe that the K&N cleaning solvent is just a mild solvent, you can buy a gallon or so at a local napa store for alot cheaper than buying a cleaning kit.

KASCHAK
05-24-2004, 06:49 PM
i use greased lighting and a bucket of wather and some dawn dish detergent..

all in there and let it soak then spray it out

JRDrider22
05-24-2004, 07:01 PM
water and soap..in my sink.....just clean it well...then put the soak it with the K&N spray

James Parent
05-24-2004, 07:30 PM
thanks for the reply's, what kind of brand names should i look for.. like simple green or like dawn dish detergent?.. i just don't wanna mess it up, they are too expensive
thanks james
and if i used something like simple green could i just delute it with some water?

(i've never seen anything like greased lightning)

04'400ex'er
05-24-2004, 08:20 PM
I would use soap and water. You don't really need to clean it after every time you ride, though, unless it is extremely dusty. Whatever you do, don't use a strong solvent without dilluting it cuz it very well could eat the paper over the months.

UglyMotha™
05-24-2004, 09:25 PM
dawn liquid dish detergent with grease fighter and let her set in a bucket of water over night then rinse from the inside out this completly disolves all the old oil

str400ex
05-24-2004, 10:03 PM
409 works great

Bill Fuller
05-25-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I would use soap and water. You don't really need to clean it after every time you ride, though, unless it is extremely dusty. Whatever you do, don't use a strong solvent without dilluting it cuz it very well could eat the paper over the months. A K&N filter actually works better when slightly coated with dirt/dust.Soaking in the sink with any kind of dish washing liquid will do the trick always rinse from the inside out.

Hotdog
05-25-2004, 05:37 AM
What are you guys using for oil on them?

tants
05-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Hotdog
What are you guys using for oil on them?

i recondmend using only the k&n filter oil.

it can be bought at any quad store, or even any speed shops or auto stores

i clean my filter after every race. i cover it in spraynine and let it sit for awhile then rinse it with warm water...

James Parent
05-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys.. yea i know K&N filters better with a little dust, but i'm running an outerwears and it gets really really dusty, so i have to clean it everytime.. and i was going through the filter chargers so quick.. i used all of the cleaner, but had like 4 oil cans left over

thanks
james

4wheelboy
05-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by James Parent
Thanks guys.. yea i know K&N filters better with a little dust, but i'm running an outerwears and it gets really really dusty, so i have to clean it everytime.. and i was going through the filter chargers so quick.. i used all of the cleaner, but had like 4 oil cans left over

thanks
james

were u at njorvp last sunday?:confused:

2003400exmnymds
05-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Have you checked Auto Zone for the recharge kits? I got mine 2 weeks ago for $9.99 They say thats the every day price??????
Thats for the whole charging kit too.

James Parent
05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
were u at njorvp last sunday?

Yerp yerp.. i'll be there thursday too, like 10:00

KASCHAK
05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
yes dalute it

greased lighting eats the pc off of the stock swingarm it let sitting..

i usually get a bucket of hot qater put in a little dawn dish detergent and spray the filter very lightly with greased lighting and then let it soak