PDA

View Full Version : Cheap carbs....

s-10s_rule
05-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using a Keihin PWK carb on a 400ex or any other 4-stroke. They are cheap and seems to me that they would work fine on a 400ex if you just jetted them correctly, so what do yall think, the only thing that I can think of is maybe having poor throttle responce since they dont have an accellerator pump. Any inputs appreciated, thanks guys

KASCHAK
05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
probably better off boring the stock oen..

maybe get a 04' stock carb and boring it.. there stock 38mm now

INFANTRY RACING
05-24-2004, 08:57 PM
get a 38mm lectron from tc racing. under 300 bux and they are badass

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm planning on getting a Lectron. I've tried to look them up on the TC website but it seems to be permanently messed up. I'm in the process of getting one off ebay as we speak (40mm) but I still dont know where I can get needles or how much they might cost, or even what size I need. Does anyone know what size needle would work in a 416ex with 11:1 compression? The description is in my signiture. Do the 04s really have a 38mm carb on them? I thought that was a myth/typo......

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 05:14 PM
hey kaschak, how does that bored stock carb do on your 416?

INFANTRY RACING
05-25-2004, 10:39 PM
get a lectron that tc recomends. stay away from anything they say might work. get the on for a 400ex. it takes some mods to make them work buti love the way the power hits. no outta control wheelie. mines really smooth and fast.

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 10:59 PM
TC sells one for a 400ex? thats news to me, is it just my PC or does their links to their products not work on their website? What is the difference in a TC 400ex lectron and any other 38-40mm Lectron besides jetting(or shall I say needling)

INFANTRY RACING
05-26-2004, 04:37 PM
throttle body cutouts. if you call tc and tell him you were gonna get one off ebay that might work he'll have you on the phone all day confuzin you. make sure to get the 38 thats for a 400ex.

KASCHAK
05-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by s-10s_rule
hey kaschak, how does that bored stock carb do on your 416?

its pretty good.. its a little sensitive with jetting.. never ran the 416 without the bore so i coudlnttell you if it gave a big power gain. but its pulls harder then my buddys bike when it had a stock carb on it.

KASCHAK
05-26-2004, 05:28 PM
just to add..

i remember people having problems with lecton.. they gum up or something.. you need to take them off and clean them alot.

anyone have these problems post here.
or search

KASCHAK
05-26-2004, 05:33 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2977&highlight=lecton

i read a few others.. and people say you need to turn it to fit then it leaks... blows off the boot... other things..

do some research before you get one.

i almost got one..

INFANTRY RACING
05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
i'm runnuing ones with no problems at all

s-10s_rule
06-16-2004, 11:55 AM
well heck I got one, I like doing things for power that others dont, thats what makes you win. I got one from Fast By Gast, with the powerjet in it. Here goes nothing.... Hey INFANTRY RACING, what throttle cable will fit this carb and also fit in my stock thumb throttle, I know I will need to grind it but I dont care at all, we have a 400ex throttle on my Brothers Quadzilla and we had to grind a hole in the side of it to make it work.

TC426EX
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
See, I heard that the lectrons sacrifice bottom end power and do well on top end. Is this the case?? I was gonna get one from TC when they did my motor but just decided to shell the extra dough for the 39mm FCR. I love that FCR and wouldnt change it for the world, but seriously, how could you describe the power with the lectron? Does it have a TPS??

cals400ex
06-16-2004, 04:36 PM
the lectron lacks an accelerator pump so the bottom end grunt isn't there. i thought i gained big in throttle response with the fcr. however, at high speeds i felt like i didn't gain much at all. also, the lectrons are susceptable to dirt and dust. so, for cross country or other conditions where it could be getting really dirty, they don't recommend the lectrons. i do hear they make the most power though.

INFANTRY RACING
06-16-2004, 06:52 PM
i got mine used so your best bet is to cal tc racing and ask him ..i'll look on mine for part numbers tonight though. you do have to grind away alot of metal for the throttle. i ran a moose throttle on it and i didn't have to grind anything but didn't like the feel of the moose throttle. you can cover the hole on the stock throttle with quick steel epoxy. the stuff in a roll and you squish it together to mix it. just remeber to push it wide open to but a indent in the epoxy. run a little more slack to get a nice deep one. i also run grip tape on my throttle to help with my finger slipin off. it feels wierd to use at first but after some time you'll get it. the power is awsome and i haven't had any problems with it sticking. :) :macho

s-10s_rule
06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
thanks for the input guys, I got the 40mm in my posession, it was designed for a 416, but the other guy was running alcohol and said that is was switched back to gas, I'll just have to see how it works, being a 40mm and all, if it dosen't do good, I'll just sell it and get a 38mm, I only paid $142 for it and it looks new, so I shouldn't loose too much money. The needle that is in it is a
5-2-1, what one are you running INFANTRY RACING?

Quadzilla
06-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Just be sure to clean that Lectron. They are known for not operating correctly when they are dirty. Other than that, they are supposed to be A-1 performance wise!

INFANTRY RACING
06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
i am running the 38mm tc carb

s-10s_rule
06-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Well I got it on and pretty much finished about an hour ago. To my suprise it started right up, idled pretty good and ran great without any tuning! I wasn't satisfied with the slow speed mixture so I went to turning my needle. I now got it pretty darn good I think. I spent like two hours making my stock thumb throttle work, I drilled a hole in the side and just ground the piss out of it. I still think it is a little rich wide open, it just seems to kind of get a little soggy when you get it wound way out. I was riding it up and down the road with the seat off so I could tinker with the powerjet, I closed it all the way and that seems to be the way it likes it best, but that tells me even more that it is too rich, so now its time for a different needle. Just refresh my memory, which number is the wide open size on the needle, I have a 5-2-1 needle in it now. As for throttle responce and all that, it is great, pretty darn snappy, I'd say it is just as good as the stock one was, no bogging at all. That kinda suprised me being it is a 40mm but I love it so far, good power gain but still needs fine tunig, I need to race someone!!!:devil: