PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250R help/questions

Westro
05-24-2004, 05:23 AM
1988 TRX 250R, I am having trouble getting the head to seal up. I tried a stock head and new gasket with the head stay and I was smelling anti-freeze. So I put a NOSS head on without a head stay and a new gasket and I am still detecting anti-freeze in the exhaust.

What gives, is there some type of ‘trick’ with the 250’s gasket? I mean I am installing it with the tabs correctly, or can I make this into a full 0-ring type system like the cool head on my Banshee? The NOSS head has a o-ring "groove" but I haven't found a dome that has a o-ring "groove".

Also I need a quieter silencer, I was planning on trail riding this one and the noise needs to be reduced.

Thanks
-Marc

cdalejef
05-24-2004, 07:38 AM
The head is warped

SHOCKER
05-24-2004, 07:56 AM
what kind of silencer you got on it? maybe the silencer needs to be re-packed

Westro
05-24-2004, 09:05 AM
So I have TWO warped heads? Maybe I should be clearer, I was using a stock head, it leaked. I moved to a NOSS head and it also appears to be burning anti-freeze.

I am running a FMF pipe with a Curtis Sparks race silencer. I just replaced the packing in the silencer. And I do have a Curtis Sparks pipe also. The silencer just has too much rasp for me. I was wondering what other people were using and where happy with.

cdalejef
05-24-2004, 10:05 AM
then it sounds like your cylinder needs resurfacing

Westro
05-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Jeff,

That maybe the case that the CYLINDER may need resurfacing.

So do you guys run simply a head gasket with your aftermarket heads or do you go to a o-ring system like on a pro design cool head on a Banshee?

Also the manual states to put the gasket with the properly labeled side up. Well the Moose gasket that I last put in didn’t have an ‘up’ and had a single tab. The last couple gaskets before this had dual tabs. And of course I am running the tabs front to back.

Thanks everyone
-Marc

cdalejef
05-24-2004, 10:29 AM
I always ran gaskets, didn't care much for the o-rings. If the gasket isn't marked then it probally doesn't matter which side faces up or down.

smr
05-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Dude..I have put several head gaskets on my R...they always leak at first. After I run through the warm up stage it slows down. Keep a good check on the water and retorque your head after you fun it for awhile..the problem will most likely go away.

also...I have had the best luck out of a stock honda gasket.

good luck

Westro
05-25-2004, 05:39 AM
SMR:

Thanks, this appears to also be the case. I warmed up the and it seems that it has slowed.

Well love the R, moving to it from my Banshee and I must say, I like the R but the Shee does rip in the straights.

Westro
05-27-2004, 10:45 AM
What about silencers? A mellow spark arrestor would be nice considering it is a trail machine, anyone have any luck with a certain manufacture?

Duncanracer
05-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Westro
What about silencers? A mellow spark arrestor would be nice considering it is a trail machine, anyone have any luck with a certain manufacture?

i've run an FMF turbine core 2 on my PT pipe, and its a lot quieter, but its really restricting and i didnt think the bike ran all that great...