PDA

View Full Version : Makeing The Ultimate Decision

Punk'd
05-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Ok guys my parents told me today "pick out your quad your getting it in 3 months" Its between the Trx450r and the Yfz450 I am haveing the most trouble desideing between the two. I ride trails, feilds, not alot of snow, and maybe tracks in the furture but mostly trails for me. I really dont care about the kick/electric start.. I am looking for speed and acceleration and also power.. Thank you all for the help I can always count on my fellow Exriders!:D

PS: I dont want to start any kind of a war on this topic.

Sportrax10
05-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Get whatever you like better....

Heres my biast opinion... Get the Honda, OEM parts are dirt cheap and much stronger!:cool: Oh yea and its easier to adjust the chain..:devil:

Good luck with your choice, you wont go wrong with either....

BigRedMachine
05-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Your best bet would be to ride both first. I would go with the TRX because its ride is much smoother and you're going to ride mostly trails anyway.

Toadz400
05-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Personally I would take the YFZ...but I haven't ridden the 450R so that isn't a very good opinion. For trails the YFZ450 would be better stock considering it was lower gearing than the YFZ, and it seems to handle very nicely in the trails.

From what I've read, the YFZ seems more suitable to trails and rough terrain than the 450R...but maybe people who've ridden both could correct me if I'm wrong.

Just go with whichever one has a better deal, and you find more appealing to you after hearing everyone's opinion...riding both of them would definately be the best thing to do.

Punk'd
05-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Im not old enough to test ride them:mad: Im looking for pure speed,power and acceleration!!:blah:

Sportrax10
05-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Im not old enough to test ride them:mad: Im looking for pure speed,power and acceleration!!:blah:
Coming off a Rancher, you wont be dissapointed with either's pure speed, power, and acceleration.

Butters
05-23-2004, 09:10 PM
i would go with the yfz. cause if you ride in mud your going to kill it once and who once to kick start when you can just hit a button.

toby400ex
05-23-2004, 09:17 PM
I would take the trx, cuz I wouldnt be able to stand electrical problems.

Toadz400
05-23-2004, 09:30 PM
First off...do you have any experience riding powerful quads?? I noticed that you have a Rancher...that is a HUGE step up.

As long as you are safe about it and don't exceed your ability to drive, you should do okay. Just ride the machine to your ability until you get better and better and you can push it harder.

Go with the YFZ, it's speed, power, and acceleration reminded me of my piped Banshee.

xr50layke
05-24-2004, 12:11 AM
1 thing only would make me decide. its a biatch not being able to ride because your electrical stuff is f'd up :mad: TRX450R!!! look at the yfz stator problems in the yfz forum :rolleyes:

05-24-2004, 06:45 AM
& what did the trx450r remind you of? uve prob never even rode one toadz...:rolleyes:

05-24-2004, 07:22 AM
YFZ450....i just hear to many good things about em compared to the trx...i also rode one for the first time yesterday....

Guy400
05-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Get the YFZ because it's got electric start:eek:

Guy400
05-24-2004, 07:31 AM
LMAO...my above post was a just a joke.

Get whichever one will give you the best night's sleep because you know both are going to perform well.

the-ex-files
05-24-2004, 10:24 AM
You must have some really nice parents. All you have to do is decide? Wow! Go Honda. Try and hit um up to buy you other stuff as long as they are in a good mood.

05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
i love that picture guy400....its my wallpaper now :D

wilkin250r
05-24-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm really not partial either way. I've heard rumors that the 450R has a smoother powerband, which may be easier in the trails. My only experience with either one is in the sand dunes, and the YFZ was beating the 450R in uphill sand drags all day long, by a good margin.

JWhite
05-24-2004, 12:35 PM
I've spanked many YFZ's. And I have been beat by them. WHen they're running anyways. :macho

We sold our YFZ's after one ride on a TRX and we have never looked back. Depends on your style and needs man.

trick450r
05-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Lets see
to young to test drive,steeping up from a rancher,not even going to be riding tracks but maybe very little,little to no experience on racing quads...this all adds up to a 400ex,z/kfx/dvx 400, sorry kid you dont belong on either of these machines!

ny300exrider
05-24-2004, 01:08 PM
thats not necesserally true. im 14 and the dealers dont let me test ride the quads, i ride a modded 400 and easily ride a 450 too and im less than 6 foot about 120 pounds. if i didnt have much money id be on something like a rancher too, maybe this kid can ride good and will be fine for a 450 and he just never had the money to get one.

ShiftFMX
05-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I got the same thing going, but I'm old enough to test ride, and im buying my own quad. Everyone tells me to get the yfz, but, i'm gonna stick with a HONDA!

450r will be mine in july!

Punk'd
05-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
Lets see
to young to test drive,steeping up from a rancher,not even going to be riding tracks but maybe very little,little to no experience on racing quads...this all adds up to a 400ex,z/kfx/dvx 400, sorry kid you dont belong on either of these machines!

Ok for 1 Im not a kid
2 you didnt read my post correctly.. Trx450 or Yfz450 and this is what im desideing between and i thank everyone that is accually helping me with my topic

:D

Punk'd
05-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
thats not necesserally true. im 14 and the dealers dont let me test ride the quads, i ride a modded 400 and easily ride a 450 too and im less than 6 foot about 120 pounds. if i didnt have much money id be on something like a rancher too, maybe this kid can ride good and will be fine for a 450 and he just never had the money to get one.

Thank you man thats exactly my situation;)

05-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Killa250ex
I got the same thing going, but I'm old enough to test ride, and im buying my own quad. Everyone tells me to get the yfz, but, i'm gonna stick with a HONDA!

450r will be mine in july! you are making the right decision ;)

ShiftFMX
05-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
you are making the right decision ;)

I sure hope so!

And I hope i get sum kind of...good feeling that i bought this quad myself ;)

05-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Killa250ex
I sure hope so!

And I hope i get sum kind of...good feeling that i bought this quad myself ;) have you shopped around yet? what are the prices you have...dont let the dealers make you pay any fees...you can talk them out of them if you look around..i got mine for the MSRP which is $6.5k OTD with taxes & no other fees...you can prob. find it cheaper if you look around...I also only put down $3000 cash so the more money you have the more talking you can do ;) good luck

ShiftFMX
05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
I was planning on putting $1500 down

Atreyu
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
From what I hear, YFZ's are more track and R's are more trail. Basically, it boild down to personal preference. Kick or electric, honda or yamaha.

Punk'd
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
What is all this about the 450r bogging n stuff and haveing to keep it reved or it will die? I dont remember who told me this but i remember hearing it..

Punk'd
05-24-2004, 06:25 PM
anyone know?

RMX500
05-24-2004, 06:38 PM
take the YFZ and change your name to Spoil'd ;)

TRX450R1
05-24-2004, 06:49 PM
yeh really, wish my parents bought my quad...sorry but my point is these machines dont belong on trails they simply aren't made for it you will have a better time just saving cash buying a 400 then putting that money into it, if you said you were into like hardcore mx like me and many others or even heavy mx and light trails i would back anyone to buy the 450r but not for trails you will be sorry!:rolleyes:

Toadz400
05-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
& what did the trx450r remind you of? uve prob never even rode one toadz...:rolleyes:

Did you read my first post? Obviously not...read back over it and get back to me:rolleyes: .

Guy400
05-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Jumbo, not only in this thread but in others as well, it seems you follow a few members around and have nothing better to do than antagonize them. I know for a fact I gave you a warning a month or two ago. This is your last one.

Scottie Mac
05-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Jumbo, not only in this thread but in others as well, it seems you follow a few members around and have nothing better to do than antagonize them. I know for a fact I gave you a warning a month or two ago. This is your last one.

HAHHAHHAHAH someone is being sent to the Principal's Office.

Back to the original topic, both are VERY nice and major improvements over what was available only a year ago. The TRX has higher gearing, thatis why people complain about first gear. But a $15 dollar sprocket can fix that. The TRX has a slightly higher center of gravity, but does "feel" like it is a lot taller. It also has softer suspension with the STOCK settings. Both have adjustability, so you can tinker with the suspension to change the ride and feel. There have been reports of YFZs having electrical problems. I ride the district series around here and a few Nationals and have never seen one break. The TRX has had a few casings breakaround the kicker, but like the Yamaha, I think it could have been avoided if the owner knew what he/she was doing.

Reliability? 99% of the time reliability is what YOU make it. Take care fo the quad (change the oil, keep the filter clean) and you should be fine.

The BEST thing you can do is to try and ride them both. That way you can make up your own mind.

Good luck,
Scott

Toadz400
05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
HAHHAHHAHAH someone is being sent to the Principal's Office.

Back to the original topic, both are VERY nice and major improvements over what was available only a year ago. The TRX has higher gearing, thatis why people complain about first gear. But a $15 dollar sprocket can fix that. The TRX has a slightly higher center of gravity, but does "feel" like it is a lot taller. It also has softer suspension with the STOCK settings. Both have adjustability, so you can tinker with the suspension to change the ride and feel. There have been reports of YFZs having electrical problems. I ride the district series around here and a few Nationals and have never seen one break. The TRX has had a few casings breakaround the kicker, but like the Yamaha, I think it could have been avoided if the owner knew what he/she was doing.

Reliability? 99% of the time reliability is what YOU make it. Take care fo the quad (change the oil, keep the filter clean) and you should be fine.

The BEST thing you can do is to try and ride them both. That way you can make up your own mind.

Good luck,
Scott

That's exactly what I was trying to say before. Good job. Definately the thing to do is ride both of them and see which one appeals most!

Punk'd
05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks alot guys I think i have made my decision though..
((Drum roll)):D
I will be going with the Honda
I want to thank everyone that has helped me with my topic you have helped me alot! Thanks Fellas!

roostin_dale
05-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R1
...sorry but my point is these machines dont belong on trails they simply aren't made for it

If I read this right, you are saying these quads aren't good for trails? Why are the top GNCC racers running both these bikes?

I've never rode the honda, but the YFZ is awesome on a MX track. And i've heard the Honda is better at trails also(don't quote me, ive never rode one)

If you are worried about the YFZ's electrical problems you can always add a kick start..

K2Snow
05-24-2004, 10:41 PM
I haven't seen the TRX do a backflip yet, go with the YFZ :devil:

WhiteBros400ex
05-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
If I read this right, you are saying these quads aren't good for trails? Why are the top GNCC racers running both these bikes?

I've never rode the honda, but the YFZ is awesome on a MX track. And i've heard the Honda is better at trails also(don't quote me, ive never rode one)

If you are worried about the YFZ's electrical problems you can always add a kick start..

I agree they are both good and if the yfz wasnt good in trails why would Pro Gncc ridders use them. I am in the process of buying a 450 and im going to go with the Yfz,but i am not sure definatly yet.

Toadz400
05-25-2004, 06:22 AM
So Punk'd, what made you go for the Honda?

Punk'd
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
So Punk'd, what made you go for the Honda?

Well I was thinking all night and it hit me.. Im born to ride Honda and nothing else.. I grew up on Hondas and I love the way they handle and preform.. My dad has had his Fourtrax 300 for about 14 years now and it runs just like the first day he bought it and I also went with the Honda because its cheaper and it sounds to be the best to fit my needs IMO and I want to thank everyone that has helped me with my post!:D

Out_Sider
05-25-2004, 11:07 AM
i dont like either on them:o:p