PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Clutch

rossano
03-21-2002, 02:44 PM
any gearheads wanna lay it out for me or do i gotta go buy a friggin' service manual ?!?! c'mon and help a cheapskate out!

thanx

JabberJaw
03-21-2002, 02:59 PM
It is actually quite simple to change the clutch. You can change just the clutch pads if the bike is not too old about 48 bucks and 10 bucks for a gasket. You should be able to tell if you need the clutch rings once you open it up. Either way I would replace the springs for 10 more bucks.

As far as doing the work, it's easy. It takes an 8mm socket to remove the bolts. I cut out a piece of cardboard, drew a picture on it of the cover, then drilled holes in the cardboard to screw the bolts into as I removed them. An easy way to keep track of where they go. You have to remove the oil filter bolts also. The two oil lines, and clutch cable. Be sure you drain your oil before you start.

To get the cover loose, I found a small lip on the underside below where the footpeg is located, and used a big screwdriver with light pressure to pop it loose. Once inside, just remove the clutch spring bolts, and pull the clutch basket off. Everything you want to replace will be in your hand.

Easy as pie. You can ask someone what amount of tourqe the spring bolts need when you put it back together. Be careful not to tighten them too tight, they will break. The bolts do not tighten in until they stop, so using s tourque wrench would help.

Be sure to scrape off any old gasket, slip the new one on, and put it back together.. After you get it back together, you should adujst your clutch on the perch so there is a little slack in it. About the width of a nickel.

rossano
03-21-2002, 03:32 PM
thanks mr jabberjaw. what about soaking friction material in oil prior to install? how long? 1 day? 1/2 day? 1 hr?

Leo
03-23-2002, 09:52 AM
an hour or so should do just fine... just as long as your not putting everything together dry..

Leo

03-23-2002, 10:35 AM
You really should get the manual just the same. Its the best mod you can do for your ride. You've been through a clutch, so you've certainly had $40 bucks worth of fun and then some.

rossano
03-23-2002, 11:01 AM
yes, i hear that! i definitely will be gettin that manual. hey fellas, thanks again for the help
-rossano

kaneman23
08-20-2002, 11:42 AM
I bought the rings and the pads and spent around $100.00. I was under the impression I had to replace both. How will I know if the rings are still good? What should I look for? Also, the gasket you are referring to is the crankcase cover gasket, correct? Sorry for all the questions but you seem like you know your stuff...

Thanks,
Justin