PDA

View Full Version : 400ex and z400 hp

allaboutHP
05-23-2004, 07:13 PM
stock for stock what are the horsepower numbers, i know the z has an advantage in this area but how much of one? i have a 400ex with mods, but i went to a suzuki dealer today and saw a new z400 that was better lookin than a 400ex. also i know most people get pissed when asked about top speeds but i do alot of trail riding and drag my friends a good bit so what are the top speeds of these machines?

RMX500
05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
use your trail tech.. :rolleyes:

400ex_drummer
05-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
use your trail tech.. :rolleyes:

if you dont have anything useful 2 say dont say it, all i hear from you is pointless little comments that pi$$ people off.

RMX500
05-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 400ex_drummer
if you dont have anything useful 2 say dont say it, all i hear from you is pointless little comments that pi$$ people off.

then maybe you should pull your head out of my ***** and mind your own.

SHOCKER
05-25-2004, 04:37 PM
N-E-Ways, the Z has more ponys than the 400ex, i have read and heard that it has 35 stock out of dirtwheels and then alba told me stock was 31-33 so im going with alba but then yet someone on z400central said it had 31 and someone else said it had27-29, so im going with albas 31-33 ponys, its also alot better if it gets hot because it water cooled so it will always run strong and cooler

allaboutHP
05-25-2004, 08:56 PM
how durable is the z400 though? i ride hard through the woods and stuff and go to the track once in a while so i need to know how durable a z400 is. i have heard about their frames bein crappy on some of them but not all. im starting to wonder if modding the crap out of my 400ex will be worth it in the long run, or should i just buy somthin with a stronger and more capable engine?

RMX500
05-25-2004, 08:58 PM
the only problem Z's have had previously is frames crackin'

i doubt you'll do any damage in the woods though unless you hit something harsh

between the 2 I still prefer the 400EX in the woods

RMX500
05-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by allaboutHP
how durable is the z400 though? i ride hard through the woods and stuff and go to the track once in a while so i need to know how durable a z400 is. i have heard about their frames bein crappy on some of them but not all. im starting to wonder if modding the crap out of my 400ex will be worth it in the long run, or should i just buy somthin with a stronger and more capable engine?

the EX has 28hp and the Z has 33. Unless you are riding hardcore MX or serious drag racing you'll never really need to mod something to it's limits or need a whole lot.

I mean you can go 450 on the Z and have as much power as a YFZ with some mods, I saw an article about this in a mag, can't remember which.

You can go 500 on the EX and probably have that kind of power almost as well..

But think about it you don't really need it. As far as woods goes, a STOCK 400EX or Z400 really has enough to do what you want to do.

If you want to ride MX non-competitively, like just riding the track for fun then a piped 400EX with an MX setup for shocks and whatnot will work just fine.

or I'll tell you right now, you can get a 39-40hp Predator for the same price as a Z400. The 04's are flawless and put both the Z and 400EX to shame in terms of stock performance. Lower, wider, stronger axle, fox shocks which are adjustable and have most travel in class..

good stuff. a lot of people overlook the predator but it's really a sleeper. some people ***** about it being 412lbs, because it has a heavy duty axle, steel swingarm and everything while the 450's or what not have aluminum swings and lighter axles, but in terms of aftermarket look how many people go and buy steel swingarms and heavy duty axles afterwards anyways so those 350lb 450's are 350lbs anymore after they are modded out.

my predator has had 1200 in just weight reduction put into it and before my accident was 379lbs. with the replacement mods I'm buying It'll be about 370 dry.

pretty dang good i'd say.

400ex_drummer
05-26-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by RMX500
the EX has 28hp and the Z has 33. Unless you are riding hardcore MX or serious drag racing you'll never really need to mod something to it's limits or need a whole lot.

I mean you can go 450 on the Z and have as much power as a YFZ with some mods, I saw an article about this in a mag, can't remember which.

You can go 500 on the EX and probably have that kind of power almost as well..

But think about it you don't really need it. As far as woods goes, a STOCK 400EX or Z400 really has enough to do what you want to do.

If you want to ride MX non-competitively, like just riding the track for fun then a piped 400EX with an MX setup for shocks and whatnot will work just fine.

or I'll tell you right now, you can get a 39-40hp Predator for the same price as a Z400. The 04's are flawless and put both the Z and 400EX to shame in terms of stock performance. Lower, wider, stronger axle, fox shocks which are adjustable and have most travel in class..

good stuff. a lot of people overlook the predator but it's really a sleeper. some people ***** about it being 412lbs, because it has a heavy duty axle, steel swingarm and everything while the 450's or what not have aluminum swings and lighter axles, but in terms of aftermarket look how many people go and buy steel swingarms and heavy duty axles afterwards anyways so those 350lb 450's are 350lbs anymore after they are modded out.

my predator has had 1200 in just weight reduction put into it and before my accident was 379lbs. with the replacement mods I'm buying It'll be about 370 dry.

pretty dang good i'd say.

is that 370 with or without the seat?:blah:

RMX500
05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
it'll be with the seat finally. but i'll probably be bringing the weight up when i toss some chrome on, stronger swingarm and maybe some hotseat a-arms.

allaboutHP
05-26-2004, 06:55 PM
rmx500 how much did u pay for your predator? you can get a new z around here for just under $5000. thats a good price in my oppinion. retail on a pred is $6099. but i dont know how much it would be at a dealer.

USAMoto00
06-08-2004, 07:24 PM
If you are interested in the Z, why not get the Artic Cat DVX? Same quad as the Suz and Kaw, but with a better frame and sub. Not to mention a different look. My Friend just got one and it's pretty nice. Just an option for ya to look at.

igmif
06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I wanna know where some of you guys are gettin' your horse power figures from. I read Dirt Wheels and ATV Action religoulsy. Some of these hp estimates are much higher than anything I've seen for stock machines in mags. Dyno results vary from test to test, but on the average, a 400EX gets 25.4 stock, and a Z400 bumps out 29.3 stock. Both on the avg. I hate to admit it but the damn Suzuki is a better quad pound for pound, execpt when they break in half.