PDA

View Full Version : ??? For The Car Audio Experts.

250EXking
05-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok, im new to the whole electronic parts to the cars, more of the mechanical dude, well i just got a pionner cd player deck, now i need new speakers(well, dont need em but the old ones dont sound to good), an amp, and im thinking 10's for subs. any suggestions on brands, and what is the best audio for the money.

thanks,
kyle.

Big400EX
05-23-2004, 06:47 PM
www.crutchfield.com

For all your car audio needs.:devil:

250EXking
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Well yeah thats got everything, but i want to know what brands are good, and how well the preform. because i have no idea on any of that stuff, just asking to see what everyone has and how they like it.

2001400ex
05-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I like Rockford Fosgate, and Infiniti. I am getting two of these subs for my car.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zKL7eh9PPxF/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67600&I=575RFD2210&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=

Regular_Joe
05-23-2004, 07:37 PM
IMO, you can never go wrong w/ JL stuff. My truck is decked out w/ JL speakers and Alpine amps. In my car I have Diamond Audio speakers, Eclipse subs, and Kicker amps. I prefer the JLs best.

Truck (http://home.stny.rr.com/jterpstra/truck.html)
Car (http://home.stny.rr.com/jterpstra/car.html)

Regular_Joe
05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, for amp kits you can't beat the prices of the Scosche amp kits at Walmart. Its about $25 for a full dual-amp kit w/ everything (RCAs, 4 guage wire, remote, distrobution block, wire ends, etc ...)

Amp wiring kit (http://www.scosche.com/efx/products/amplifier/AKPA-4.asp)

jaywoodsrider
05-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I would go with 12's instead of 10's, i made that mistake.

jesshamner
05-23-2004, 11:46 PM
How about some information about the desired magnitude of the system. Do you want something that the will make heads turn or do you just want something to give a little more depth to the music. What kind of vehicle are these going into? I agree with Regular_Joe. You can't go wrong with JL Audio. I like Audiobahn also. Crossfire is another good brand.

twisted threads
05-24-2004, 03:14 AM
JL Audio all the way! I have a JL 12w6 and love it, I used to have two JL 12's but im getting old so one is good for me now. I would look into a good crossover and good name amp like MTX or Fosgate.:D

F-16Guy
05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
These guys have some good prices: www.ikesound.com
I personally prefer Soundstream amps, JL or Fosgate subs, and Infinity Kappa Perfect mids/highs. Fosgate Power series amps are good, too. If you get JL subs, get at least the W3 series; the W0 series sucks.

Giz400ex
05-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Diamond, JL are good brands for subs! I've always liked Alpine for amps and MB Quarts for the little guys (6.5's) damn those things pounded my doors:D :D Do note that this can get crazy and expensive!!!

250EXking
05-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
How about some information about the desired magnitude of the system. Do you want something that the will make heads turn or do you just want something to give a little more depth to the music. What kind of vehicle are these going into? I agree with Regular_Joe. You can't go wrong with JL Audio. I like Audiobahn also. Crossfire is another good brand.

i have a nissan truck, i was looking for something that just sounds really good and has some thump to it, doesnt have to blow you out of the vehicle. i have heard the JL is good from alot of people so i will look in to some subs for those, and i also heard alot of good about alpine amps. sounds good. just got my deck in today and the door speakers sound ok, i might buy some new speakers. i was thinking like 6 1/2 for those, any suggestions on the sizes for a good sound with 2 amps.

thx again,
kyle

jesshamner
05-24-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a nissan frontier with 3 12" JL subs in the back. It sounds really good except the roof vibrates a little. I also have a crossfire 250W amp pushing all 3. Its enough to knock my radar detector down from the windshield.

Dan_Guetter
05-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Deffently go with 12's

I made the mistake of going with two 15 inch eclipse aluminum with a 1000 x 2 watt rockford power amp

And that was 3 years ago...and im going deff:(

user101
05-25-2004, 11:33 AM
u cant go wrong with memphis or jl stuff.;)

FourFiftyFour
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I used to have 2 kicker solobaric 12s with a 1200 watt kicker amp and it was one awesome system.... kicker and jl are good brands....but youll have to fork out some money compared to something like audiobahns and such

when u get 10s...youre just gonna want to buy some 12s right away...10s are ok if u just want a little bit

Quad18star
05-25-2004, 12:26 PM
I just picked up a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub and amp and a deck off one of my friends cuz she sold her car .... Now I just have to install it into my Sunflower and see what it sounds like .... wont be overly loud cuz its only 1 12" sub and it's in a box made for a truck but whatever ... the price was right .

Regular_Joe
05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Don't be fooled and listen to all the bs. If all you want is some nice bass most anything will do. You could get a pair of 8's, a single 10, etc. and still be quite happy. Just get a nice amp and some quality subs and you'll be fine. Overall Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, JL, MTX, JBL, etc ... all make good stuff.

Honestly the comment about the w0's being crappy is dumb. They are a great lower line of subs. They can't output the volume of a w3 of the same size, but they aren't supposed to. For reference on output, it takes about 3 w0's to equal the output of 2 w3's.

I am more of a SQ guy and don't need killer bass. I went w/ two JL 8w3's off an Alpine M350. It can regularly do over 120db w/o any problems and it sounds damn good too. The best thing about 8's is the size. I was able to keep use of my sumpseats in the back and still have a pretty loud system. By faicing the subs down guests can even walk on the boxes and everything is safe. Plus I am constantly throwing stuff back there and I don't have to worry.

If you don't care about name brands, Elemental Designs also has great subs. In a cost vs performance ration they will probably perform better than any of the above companies ....

http://home.stny.rr.com/jterpstra/pics/truck/rear1.JPG
http://home.stny.rr.com/jterpstra/pics/truck/rear2.JPG

bansheeguy77
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
kicker all the way...get the 15 incher that puts out 10,000 watts...but seriously kicker def makes good stuff. you can get probably the best prices off of ebay just buying new. if u dont really wanna turn alot of heads i will sell ya my systems...kenwood 2 12 inchers with 800 watt amp

AC 400 ex 02
05-25-2004, 08:16 PM
there are alot of brands that are way better than all those main stream companies, alot of foreign companies make the sickest stuff out there, rockford started the car amplifier, there new line of products out this year is done by a group of guys around 25 and 30, they got rid of the ancient dudes that used to engineer the equipment,IMO if your gonna stay mainstream stuff, rockford would be the way to go, if you want thump without clarity go with kicker, as for amps, soundstream makes nice amps for decent prices, they have some nutty subs also, and some of the nicest subs and highs out there are Focal, quality is unbeatable

MP250r
05-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Alpine is the best sound quality by far with everything they have. Im in the process of doing my whole truck in all Alphasonik subs amps and mids and highs with a alpine touch screen tv. Ive been told these Alphasoniks are bad but haven't got it going yet so we will see. A good website to buy stuff from is www.Cbrstereo.com

tants
05-27-2004, 05:50 AM
i wouldnt use anything but JL for subs...

im running 3 12" JL W0s and 2 10" JL W3s (5 subs total)
rockford amp, rockford deck, and rockford speakers

its the loudest thing around... :eek2:

user101
05-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by tants
i wouldnt use anything but JL for subs...

im running 3 12" JL W0s and 2 10" JL W3s (5 subs total)
rockford amp, rockford deck, and rockford speakers

its the loudest thing around... :eek2:

and just what do u have this in