PDA

View Full Version : 450r to the moon

#1speedbump
05-23-2004, 03:43 PM
After adding extreme haulers to my 450r all it wants to do is point the nose to the sky and go. Before I do any power upgrades its gonna get a plus 4 swingarm, hopefully that'll help. But even with it pointing skyward I could still run against mildly built Banshees and do quite well. Has anyone added an extended swingarm yet and how do you like it??

SHOCKER
05-23-2004, 04:22 PM
geez +4 are you shure you want it that long maybe a 1 1/4 will do

twisted threads
05-24-2004, 02:46 AM
Im surprised your having such a hard time keeping the front on the ground. My brother has a HRC kit and a pipe and I was not have to much problems keeping the front on the ground unless I wanted to.:cool: I would look into a 1 1/4 or 2 but who knows may be a +4 will work great on it. If you do get a 4 over let us know how you like it.

lilpoppy
05-24-2004, 06:17 PM
How many paddles are on your haulers? Maybe you are getting too much traction. I'm assuming that you are talking about drag racing only and in that case you probably just need to get to know your quad a little better. Maybe start in second gear or try first if you are starting in second.

SHOCKER
05-24-2004, 06:24 PM
yeah unless ya got 10 paddle haulers and you are sitting to far back it will do that but it should grab great with 8 paddle haulers but not that much

pnut420
05-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I was going to get the 10 paddle extremes, I have a +1 1/4 swingarm and a YZ426 motor and was thinking the 10 paddle would be the way to go, but then it might be to much, I think I will just get some 8 paddle extremes and give those a try, if they arent enough I can just sell them.

#1speedbump
05-25-2004, 10:37 AM
My haulers are 8 paddle exteremes. They dont flex like haulers so all the power is being used and not lost. I tried second gear holeshots but it felt to sluggish no matter how hard I rev'd and dumped it. I know the power pretty well and even sat on the tank during a few of the races and even then it pulled the front end off the ground. I will do some research on the plus 2 swinger, maybe it'd do the trick because I love trailridin also. But I dont want to mess with it if it cant keep the nose down. I can pull a wheelie without a problem and I dont see the swinger stoppin me if I really need to grab one.

400exDuneman
05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
My suggestion is put the money into going down to the dunes and practicing your starts, that is where you win or loose. My best friend beat everybody at comp hill in driftwood this weekend except for 2 banshees with about 20 grand into each. He is ridding a yfz450 with 8 paddle extremes, gytr pipe, properly jetted, and no airbox lid. But until he got 2nd gear starts down he would get beat all the time. It just takes time and practice, I don't think you need the swingarm but that is just my opinion.

lilpoppy
05-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Don't get the swing arm. I gurantee with practice you will get it. I race 450r's all the time and I have never seen them have a problem with it. As for not losing power with the extreme haulers, a little wheel spin isnt a bad thing. I run 7 paddle haulers and it is plenty of traction. The little bit of wheel spin that it gives me in first gear helps me keep the front end down and the power my quad has is pretty much equal to a stock 450r pluss a little more. Are you revving your engine before you take off?

#1speedbump
05-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all your replys. I will continue to "practice" my launches. Yes I rev the motor and dump the clutch. I treid it several different ways. However I still think I'll get an extended swinger when money allows. Until then I will try to master the art of launchin this new fourstroke or get really good at ridin really fast wheelies;)