PDA

View Full Version : Problem Help!!!

jarred15801
05-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Allright im having trouble with my fourwheeler Cannondale fx400 it has all the updates. But anyways i was going down the road and right when i shifted into second gear the lid to the radiator coolant lid poped off and the coolant came out. I didn't knwo it was that uintil i stopped. But when it happend i kept riding it hard for another 300 yards just thinking it was water becasue i didn't see the cap come off. Then i slowed down and shut it off and realized it was athe coolant then. Well then i tryed starting it and the exhaust was white but it would never start but it just kept trying too. I refilled the radiator with coolant and still no luck. It feels like theres very little air coming out of the exhaust when i try to start it but it does almost start sometimes. I think its leaking coolant somewhere now too not sure though. Any ideas whats wrong with it or why it wont start and what to do??? My friend thinks it could be a blown head gasket. Any help, ideas or comments would be great. Thanks

powerslider
05-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Sounds like the headgasket, check the compression. Is there coolant in the cylinder?

jarred15801
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
How do i check the compression?? And it was shooting out white exhaust so doesnt that mean coolant in the gas? Ill drain my oil to see if theres anyother fluid in it

jarred15801
05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Also how much compression should there be??

powerslider
05-23-2004, 01:19 PM
You need a compression gauge that screws into the spark plug hole.
I don't know what the psi should be on a C-Dale but it should be well over 100psi.

The white exhaust indicates coolant leaking into the cylinder, it's not in the fuel. Pull the spark plug out and see if there's water in the cylinder.

jarred15801
05-23-2004, 01:39 PM
allrigth ill check as soon as possible

SHOCKER
05-23-2004, 03:18 PM
yeah it sounds like a blown gasket,

jarred15801
05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Allright i finaly got my quad back from my friends house and drained the oil. There is a bunch of coolant in the oil from the radiator. When i first took the drain bolt out coolant came out for about a minute straight then the oil started to come out. Is there anything i can tell by this wether its a head gasket or cracked sleeve???

powerslider
05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Go for the headgasket first, the coolant on top of the piston will seep past the rings into the crankcase/oil.