PDA

View Full Version : Why is so many people selling 450r already??

Matt400ex_17
05-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I see like 3 of these on the first page of the sale section today alone and it kinda scares when im suppose to get mine wednesday. Whats the deal???

pnut420
05-23-2004, 12:05 PM
People realize they couldnt afford them

Giz400ex
05-23-2004, 04:13 PM
some people I know are selling them to get the yamaha!!, they like them better:confused:

norcalatver
05-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Matt400Ex, I agree, what gives? I think the happy button is more important than they realized. I won't buy one 'till they have a happy button!!

OregonEXrider
05-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I dont think people can afford them.......I bought a 2004 400ex and even with buying some extra gear and paddles I was still like 1500-2000 cheaper then the 450. I would like to have one though.....:macho

Florida400EX
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing they finallay realized the Yamaha is a much better package.

SmokinEX
05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
I'm guessing they finallay realized the Yamaha is a much better package.
lol i doubt it :D

Florida400EX
05-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Theres no way you can even compare the two out of the box, unless your a Honda humper. I guess you remain loyal to a company, but I buy the better value. I own a 400EX, and that fit my budget, and my next quad will be a YFZ. Now if the TRX handled as well as a YFZ, then I'd go for it, but it doesn't.

05-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Theres no way you can even compare the two out of the box, unless your a Honda humper. I guess you remain loyal to a company, but I buy the better value.
Now if the TRX handled as well as a YFZ, then I'd go for it, but it doesn't.

:huh :huh :huh

04'400ex'er
05-24-2004, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Florida400EX
Theres no way you can even compare the two out of the box, unless your a Honda humper. I guess you remain loyal to a company, but I buy the better value. I own a 400EX, and that fit my budget, and my next quad will be a YFZ. Now if the TRX handled as well as a YFZ, then I'd go for it, but it doesn't. [/QUOTe

:huh :huh :huh

450 WARS:eek2:

05-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Theres no way you can even compare the two out of the box, unless your a Honda humper. I guess you remain loyal to a company, but I buy the better value. I own a 400EX, and that fit my budget, and my next quad will be a YFZ. Now if the TRX handled as well as a YFZ, then I'd go for it, but it doesn't. obviously you read too much dirtwheels & have prob. ridden neither a YFZ or a TRX

Quadude32
05-24-2004, 07:25 AM
I went to the RED BuD Gnc motocross Nat. This weekend. I tell ya what of all the classes and racer's there I bet ya there was under 20 New 450R's....i think next yr it should be called the Yamaha Nat. Seems like everyone and his Brother have a Yamaha yfz 450. By the way Farr won the 2nd moto but gust got the over all:D

outacontrol31
05-24-2004, 08:15 AM
Some people just can't tame the beast:D so they got to sell it

s-10s_rule
05-24-2004, 08:21 AM
If you don't ride on the track, you really don't need one. I have ridden one stock, and the same one with a GYTR pipe. Stock I wasn't too impressed with the power, it idled poorly, had poor throttle responce in the lower rpms, too high of a first gear, and wanted to stall when pulling out. The gearing is set up for the track, with its high first gear and low fifth gear (I think it has five gears... can't recall, may have 6) but regardless, it was geared low in high gear. That makes for very close gears and also great accelleration on the track. The GYTR pipe really made a difference in power, with the stock pipe I think my 416EX would outrun it all the way, top end or through the gears. With the pipe though, it will almost defenately outrun me through the gears although I think my topspeed it marginally higher, for what thats worth. The handling and ride is not that much better in the trails than that of my 400(416)EX with my works shocks and all, and having the high first gear and poor idle, I would prefer a 400ex in the trails anyway, but reverse can be handy sometimes. I haven't rode a 450R yet but it is said to be even better handling and riding in the trails than the YFZ so, if you trail ride you will not miss a little power, I guess some people's egos wont let them get beaten in a drag race, and end up having a lesser quad to ride in the trails. I'm also not that confortable with their egronomics so I think I'm gonna stick with my trusty old 400. PS, the pipe didn't help any of the low speed responce or idle quality. But the YFZs look pretty cool....:D

MrTrendy1
05-24-2004, 10:47 AM
I would have gotten the 450 over my 400 is the place I bought mine had them in stock. I bought it right as they came out and they didn't have anything in stock so I forgot about them existing. I don't regret getting my 400 at all though.

05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by MrTrendy1
I don't regret getting my 400 at all though. have you ridden a 450?

MrTrendy1
05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
No I haven't Jumbo. I am just going by what the others have stated for now, I don't know a single soul around here that has one. I know one person that has a yfz450 though.

dawnchris
05-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I can tell you why I DON'T have one. Elec. start, pure and simple. I race a full LSR 310R right now, and will only go to the 4 stroke when/if it gets elec. start. I have ridden the YFZ, and think it's pretty dern sweet. Honda REALLY dropped the ball with the kick only. At least with the Yamaha, you can drop the elec. start system, and install a kick only, for the hardcore guys. I don't know why alot of guys are selling the 450R, but I know more than a few people that sold YZF dirt bikes, because of the problem of starting them after stalling in a race. Maybe it's the same kinda thing.

05-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dawnchris
I can tell you why I DON'T have one. Elec. start, pure and simple. I race a full LSR 310R right now, and will only go to the 4 stroke when/if it gets elec. start. I have ridden the YFZ, and think it's pretty dern sweet. Honda REALLY dropped the ball with the kick only. At least with the Yamaha, you can drop the elec. start system, and install a kick only, for the hardcore guys. I don't know why alot of guys are selling the 450R, but I know more than a few people that sold YZF dirt bikes, because of the problem of starting them after stalling in a race. Maybe it's the same kinda thing. you would really like a utility like a rancher for your electric start needs...next thing you know you'll be crying for your ES with your thumb, then youll move onto a rubicon with fully automatic just because your too lazy to move a part of your body to help the quad go...maybe you can rig something up like christopher reeves so the ATV moves with your nerve impulses....thats a helluva idea for a kit!

dawnchris
05-24-2004, 02:42 PM
WOW Jumbo, you're full of piss and vinegar aren't ya? Maybe try to read back to what I race now- Full LSR 310R,Axis etc. yup I gotta kick it now, but it ALWAYS starts first kick. I just LOVE it when I see guys kicking like madmen on their 4 strokes when they don't want to start right off. You're obviously just a play rider, or you'de know what I was talking about. I also race a KTM 520 WITH (here it comes!) elec. start! Nuthin better that screwing up, and stalling it coming into a corner, then just grabbing the clutch, hitting the button, and your off- nobody even knew you stalled it. Works the same way with an elec. start quad. Ask around. I'm not bagging on your choice of quad by any means, just saying why I don't have one. It's cute you get all upset over my comments. :p

05-24-2004, 02:53 PM
It's cute you get all upset over my comments. :p :rolleyes: i am able to kickstart my 450r every single time in get this...one kick..if it doesnt start in one kick then its because i have the gas turned off or the kill switch button on or the key not turned on or the choke not on right. you are also right about me being a play rider or whatever, i ride hard but I dont race and am not under those conditions unless im running from someone or racing the ranchers & recons

dawnchris
05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Thats what I was getting at. Play riders don't get too flustered when they stall their bike. Who cares? Just stop, flip out the lever, and kick it. But when racing, that little stall and kick deal could lose you 2-3 positions even if it DOES start on the first kick. If it takes more than one, well- you get the picture. Thats why I'll stay on the 2 stroke for now, you can still bump start one even when you're barely moving. Won't happen on the 450R.

sethg
05-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Two things....affordability and stock machine....

I got a 450R and with everything stock, I thought I made a bad decision...then I piped (HMF Pro BB) and jetted it...now it runs like a 4-stroke. The shocks are really stiff from the factory too (I hated them)...after a revalve they were great. I'm 6-2 and I'm really comfortable on it...I also heard the Yami 450's are burning up batteries and they are shutting down on them in the woods...mine starts 1st kick everytime. I pulled holeshot on everyone at the Pro ATVCCS (cross country) race recently too, it started I sat down and I was gone.

sethg
05-24-2004, 03:08 PM
You can bump start it by the way....pull the clutch in when it dies, jump on it and let the clutch out, fires right back up.

MattinAZ
05-25-2004, 11:14 AM
This is kinda funny...wasn't it posted earlier in this thread that GUST WON??? Now what was it that he was riding? Or has he switched to a YFZ too?
:eek2: :D

dawnchris
05-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I believe my post stated why "I" don't have one. You can attempt to justify the 450R all you want, the bottom line is- they are in the minority. A BIG reason is lack of elec. start. I know a handfull of racers that waited for the 450R to come out, but after seeing that it was kick only, opted for the YFZ. There's no doubt that the 450R is a good bike, it just penalizes you more when you make a mistake.

robman
05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm happy with my 426 ex,theres nothing out that's worth trading for,better quads on the way.Time is on my side.

MrTrendy1
05-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Maybe the kick start is a hinderance to racers, maybe thats why they went the yzf route or even other routes. I personally do not care but I think if I was racing I would want to have the electric. My 400 has it and being pretty new to the sport quads I've killed mine a few times and the push button is quite nice.

Maybe when they start to design the next quad (500cc or better I hope), they'll think about the flaws they have made in the trx450 and do what worked in the past.

I think the 400ex is one of the best quads I've riden. Granted I have not riden a YZF450 or the trx450, my 400ex holds true to what all I want. When I get ready, I'll just bore it to a 440 if I want or maybe just 416/426. Who knows, thats the future!

Cody_300ex
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
They found out the honda had to much power for them so they buy the yamaha! :devil: j/k I would rather have a kickstart over a ele. start any day! I wish i had gotten a 250x instead of a 300ex now because there is countless times i have actidentley left it on over night and the next day I gotta get bump started.:mad: :grr: Look at a lot of pro gncc riders there stalling out there yfzs then having to get bump started. It cost Matt smiley 1st place last round. Its messed up several of Chris Borichs races (hes my fav. rider too:mad: ).

dawnchris
05-25-2004, 12:57 PM
You can add a kickstart to a YFZ. Plus, you could remove the elec. start if you wish. Nice options.

cletusEX
05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Kicking the Honda might take a few extra seconds when you stall it but they do start right back up. I've heard a lot of stories and seen guys who could not get there YFZ started again after they stalled it. I'll take a couple extra second over a DNF any day.

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Yep, I've witnessed the YFZ having a kinda hard time starting, and like I said, it seems like they stall easy anyway. I've not seen one fail to start though. One other thing, my friends YFZ's headpipe will glow cherry red at night. That seems bad to me but he said it did it when it was new and another one he saw also did the same thing. I personally think it is too lean on the pilot screw but the thing is too darn hard to get to to adjust! (oops another flaw for the YFZ)

dawnchris
05-25-2004, 05:15 PM
If your buddy's bike is stock, it'll definetly be lean and the pipe will glow. There's alot of power to be had with a simple pipe and the proper jetting. Cures the lean pop/stall as well. Same goes for the 450R. I'm amazed at the number of guys that never get their jetting squared away. Probably the best bang for the buck, even with a stock exhaust.

Ralph
05-25-2004, 05:22 PM
WOW Jumbo, you're full of piss and vinegar aren't ya? Maybe try to read back to what I race now- Full LSR 310R,Axis etc. yup I gotta kick it now, but it ALWAYS starts first kick. I just LOVE it when I see guys kicking like madmen on their 4 strokes when they don't want to start right off. You're obviously just a play rider, or you'de know what I was talking about. I also race a KTM 520 WITH (here it comes!) elec. start! Nuthin better that screwing up, and stalling it coming into a corner, then just grabbing the clutch, hitting the button, and your off- nobody even knew you stalled it. Works the same way with an elec. start quad. Ask around. I'm not bagging on your choice of quad by any means, just saying why I don't have one. It's cute you get all upset over my comments. :p

why not pull in the clutch downshift and then release it and start it like that? also i have never stalled in a corner so maybe just because u have an expensive bike doesnt mean ur a great rider.

These conversations are dumb and 99% of the comments come from people who have ridden neither bikes.

On one u have a chance of ur bike catching on fire cause of the battery for no reason, the other migth crack the case because u are an idiot and you are pumping the throttle as ur kicking it.

If it doesnt start on the first kick then u didnt take care of it or u didnt jet it good enough for the modifications u did.

AND

IF i was realy concered about not having it start first kick on the line i would just give take out the plug and spray it with a little ether and there is no way she wont start unless u seriously screwed it up. and if u cant kick a bike over u cant race a 3 hour gncc or hustle an intense 15minute moto on an mx track.

dawnchris
05-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Geez, whats with all the people talkin smack on here? All you riding Gods that have never stalled a bike before- you're my heros. Myself being a mere mortal, have been known to stall my bike on occasion. Racing cross country, sometimes things come up unexpectedly, you nail the brakes and stall it. Usually, by the time you bounce through whatever caused the panic brake to begin with, you're not going fast enough to bump start the bike again.
Feel free to buy whatever tickles your fancy, but don't cry about someone else not wanting it. I've got about 10hrs. on a YFZ, and 2 hours on a 450R. I prefer my sweetass 250R over both. If and when I get a 4 stroke, it'll be the one that works the best. I don't buy stuff 'cause it has this name or that. I buy what works. I own 2 Hondas now (250r and 400EX), but that doesn't automatically mean the 450R is my next bike. You guys KILL me!

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree with dawnchris^. I know its gotta be the jetting, dawnchris, but since my buddy thinks its normal for them to do it I cant convince him to let me to tear into his pretty new bike without seeming like a know it all. Them stupid pilot screws are a pain in the A$S, and I couldnt get on it without pulling the carb.