PDA

View Full Version : What gearing should I do...

Silver400EXinBR
05-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Look at my sig to see all my mods...
Ok I raced a good friends bike and I do weigh baout 70 more lbs than him and he has no nerfs or bar but has all the same mods done to his bike but he hs a 16 tooth sprocket. I have completely stock gearing... When we race we are what and what until about top 3rd and when shifting into 4th here he comes and pulls right there... Then when fully toped outy he doesnt pull but i dont gain we are what and what on top speed.. What gearing whould I do to my bike so that he doesnt come by me and i pull him on top? I know I wanna know what the bst gearing for front and back sprockets to get the most out of ur jump but when in bottom of 4th to still pull hard,,

cals400ex
05-23-2004, 11:26 AM
what kind and size of tires you running? what jetting you running? is the throttle cable adjusted properly??

Silver400EXinBR
05-23-2004, 03:26 PM
20x10x9 and 21x7x10 fast trekers all the way around.... i believe a 178 jet and it runs real good no putteruing or anything... and i believe the throlle is adjusted correctly how would i know how to correctly adjust it?

cals400ex
05-23-2004, 03:47 PM
the easiest way to tell for someone not quite sure is to take the black plate off the throttle assembly. this is the peice that says "honda" on it and is held in by 3 phillips screws by the right handgrip. look in there and floor the bike (with it not running) and see if the linkages in there is stopped by the black stop. if so, the throttle isn't adjusted properly. if the linkage won't get that far, it is opening the carb fully and is adjusted properly.

i would probably try to go down to a 168 or so. then race your buddy and see if this has helped.

OregonEXrider
05-23-2004, 05:00 PM
I went to a 14 tooth front and I'm a real heavy guy. For alot of the sandy hill climbs 2nd seemed to low and 3rd was to high. With the 14 tooth front all is good now. The bike is much better. I would try changing the sprocket. You will loose a couple of MPH off the top end but you will be able to grab gears and pull away alot quicker.