PDA

View Full Version : Shifting w/o clutch

03-21-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm no mechanic by any means and have read several posts that some individuals upshift without utilizing the clutch to get through the gears faster. Does anyone know for a fact if this presents a problem with clutch or motor long/short term? What about downshifting?

03-21-2002, 10:55 AM
When I'm racing with my buddies, I'm not using the clutch... I don't believe it to be good for the gearbox, but I also don't think it's bad for it... My father before me, raced competively on bikes for years and years, and never destroyed a gearbox, I guess that means it's stood the test of time...

I wouldn't do it on a Suzuki though, they're junk... HA!

MadcapEX
03-21-2002, 11:01 AM
I was always told upshifting is no problem but use the clutch when downshifting. I dont use the clutch when I really want to shift quick,draggin or ridin wheelies,but when riding normal I use it. Even when I dont use it I blip the throttle as I shift.

03-21-2002, 11:10 AM
I'd say that's good advice!

Ya, definitely blip yer throttle while running the gears.

Madcap is right, use the clutch when you're not bootin' it, save it for schooling your buddies that don't know any better!

Sparky416ex
03-21-2002, 01:39 PM
it wont hurt it just use clutch while downshifting

03-21-2002, 02:45 PM
thanks guys for your input! Anyone else with knowledge of this?

ChadEXer
03-21-2002, 03:14 PM
OK,,I will tell you from experience,,shifting without the clutch WILL bend your shift forks. It is a NO NO. Dont want to be mean here but drag racing is my thing and I can tell some of you dont have much experience drag racing. USING the clutch drag racing helps you fo faster than not using it if you KNOW HOW to use it. You keep the throttle wide open and very quickly pull the clutch and hit the shifter. It will give you a little JUMP into the next gear! Thats how drag racing is supposed to be done. next time your at a drag race listen to the guys bikes that know how to ride. They will be powershifting like Im talking about:D

ChadEXer
03-21-2002, 03:16 PM
I just read that after I posted it and it seems kinda rude. i wasnt trying to be mean just informative
Sorry Guys
Chad

MadcapEX
03-21-2002, 03:22 PM
Chaddo has a valid point about the little jump you get usin the clutch as long as you are good and hooked up,if not your just bringin the wheelspin which looks cool but will get you waxed ..;)

ChadEXer
03-21-2002, 03:30 PM
A good drag racer starts in 2nd gear. If your not hooked up by the time you hit 3rd then you got one he!! of a strong running bike or your racing on ice,,one of the 2 :D

MadcapEX
03-21-2002, 03:43 PM
I havent done any draggin with the 400 yet,all my drags were on a totally pimped banshee,that thing would smoke em in every gear,plus we always raced on gravel roads so that didnt help either. No offense taken there chad,I welcome the advice.

R-Crazy
03-21-2002, 07:05 PM
hes right, its lik poppin the clutch every time you shift. i always start in 2nd and pop it and can beat anyone on 400s who dont. you just have to **** fast.

dave

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 07:58 AM
Thats right. I luv draggin:D