PDA

View Full Version : +2 a-arms stock shocks for MX (QUESTION FOR A FRIEND)

Greg Z
05-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey my friend is now wanting to get a 400ex after he road mine. He wants to sell his blaster and then get a cheap EX. well theres a cheap EX around here for around I dunno lol like 2800-3200 and it has +2 a-arms WITH stock shocks.... the guy hes buying from CLAIMS he hit a 90ft tripple and cleared and DIDNT bottom out.. My friend wants to mx hes pretty expierenced in MXing his blaster and he wants to MX this 400ex but Im telling him that I think the shocks will be TO soft and the shocks will be terrible for MX and he will bottom out on the smallest jumps.. Any body agree with me? any one wanna give us some more info on this

EDIT my friend is 180 pounds

JRDrider22
05-22-2004, 03:20 PM
i totally agre ewith you. no way he didnt bottom out. hes either bottoming out or hes b.sing u . i used to bottom out on my ohlins and you can deff bottom out on stock by far!

Greg Z
05-22-2004, 03:30 PM
thanks.. Does any one think im wrong? The shocks will be way to soft to mx right?

JRDrider22
05-22-2004, 03:32 PM
dude way to soft. even if that guy did hit a 90..he woulda bounced for another 90 wit those shocks

TC426EX
05-22-2004, 03:35 PM
There is NO WAY that dude didnt bottom. I have plus 2 laegers and PEP std. travel shocks. I am pretty close to my full suspension travell on 90 footers myself even with those. That dude is FULL OF S H I T. FIRST of all, he is LYING that he cleared it, and second, if he DID clear it with those shocks he would have not only bottomed out, slammed his chin on his bars or bumper, but would have also probably broke his axle and got bucked off like a little beeoootch!! You can tell if he really tried to clear it at all if he has any visible scars or injuries because he DEFINITELY would have them!! There is absolutely NO WAY the 400ex shocks could have handled that even with the stock a arms they were meant for. When you put plus 2's it makes them WAY softer so there is just no way. When they are cranked up all the way they are REAL springy like pogo sticks so that dude would have been eating some major air before eating a big bloody dirt burger for lunch. I would call him out on it and make fun of him for even making such a RIDICULOUS claim. I hope he sees this post because Im sure everyoone else isnot going to have many good things to say either......

Tommy 17
05-22-2004, 04:36 PM
i suggest u check the frame for cracks EVRYWHERE... he probably bottomed out a ton and the stress transfers to the frame... make sure u check it good for any fresh paint or cracks;)

Chanman420q
05-22-2004, 08:27 PM
check the front of the frame for stress marks if he was jumping that that hard with it

Toadz400
05-23-2004, 08:39 PM
My Works Triple Rate shocks set up for a 235lb rider, I'm 150, and I put them on my +2+1 a-arms and I bottom out COMPLETELY doing a wheelie and coming down...so that guy is obviously bull****ting. Check the frame to see if it's completely f'ed up...because if he hit a 90ft jump...I doubt that frame isn't bent/broken in half.

Chanman420q
05-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
My Works Triple Rate shocks set up for a 235lb rider, I'm 150, and I put them on my +2+1 a-arms and I bottom out COMPLETELY doing a wheelie and coming down...so that guy is obviously bull****ting. Check the frame to see if it's completely f'ed up...because if he hit a 90ft jump...I doubt that frame isn't bent/broken in half.

if ur bottoming out from doing wheelies then u def have something up with those shocks. id get them rebuilt asap! my stock shocks didnt even do that:huh

k2-dawg
05-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
if ur bottoming out from doing wheelies then u def have something up with those shocks. id get them rebuilt asap! my stock shocks didnt even do that:huh

redroost85
05-24-2004, 09:38 AM
I'll reiterate what all these guys said. Before I got my Works, I ran my +2 Lonestars and stock shocks for mx.................freaking softer than chit!:grr:

It handled pretty good going straight, but even on rolling doubles, they bottomed out. 90 footer my ***!:huh

Toadz400
05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q

I was talking about with the +2+1 arms on, when I have the stock arms they are just fine (they are valved for stock arms).

quadmx7
05-24-2004, 07:38 PM
my cosuin had works triple rates set up for stock a-arms and then switch to +2 a-arms and it road horrible. he hated it and made sure i didnt make the same mistake. it road really rough.

250rmike
05-29-2004, 08:51 AM
they still shouldnt bottom out from a wheelie. i have blown works that im sending away soon and they wouldnt even do that