PDA

View Full Version : Hetricks

shook
03-21-2002, 09:08 AM
I spoke with the guy at Hetricks today Im going to be sending them my motor they are very nice people and sound like they know what they are doing and there prices are very reasonable.Any one on here ever had any work done by them if so how was it.

jcv400ex
03-21-2002, 09:45 AM
They do an excellent job. Just got mine back. Real good service after the sale too!

Check out their exhaust too!

CBRSLIDER
03-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Got my 416 done by them and it's great. Rich really took care of me.

Ray

Dave400ex
03-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Let us Know how you like the Work. Are you going to get the Hetrick Pipe.

NJ300ex
03-21-2002, 05:44 PM
What part of PA are they located in? East or West?

jcv400ex
03-21-2002, 05:51 PM
It's North east.

Hetrick Racing
257 Salina Road, Seneca, PA 16346
(814) 676-0477

Dave400ex
03-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Does anybody have their 425 Kit? What all comes with it?

Tommy 17
03-21-2002, 05:57 PM
i can't wait to go up to hetricks race track (fox raceway and race this year)... we should meet up there someday if u want to casey and have a easter pa ride.... mayb in june or so...

R-Crazy
03-21-2002, 07:11 PM
is there a site for Hetricks?

dave

03-21-2002, 07:18 PM
www.hetrickracing.com

CBRSLIDER
03-21-2002, 08:14 PM
JCV had the 425 kit and I think that Casey has it now. But I rode it against my Hetrick 416 and it was awesome down low. It was great on the bottom and had good power thru the entire rev range. I noticed that it had more power than my 416 on the bottom. But mine seemed to rev faster. But overall it was one **** of a nice package. A bonus is that Rich Hetrick is a nice guy to talk to about the project. He explains everything and answers all your questions without making you feel like an idiot. Unlike other engine builders that I have spoke to.

Ray

jcv400ex
03-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I really liked the 425. It had gobs of power down low! It wanted to wheelie all the time. But once both CBRSLIDER and I where wound out, his was right there. In about a 40 yd dash, I was .20 of a second faster than he was, on our best runs. And he was spinnin the rear tires and I was standing it up....every time I shifted! oh yeah!

I think overall, I could pull the holeshot on him, but once they got up in the revs, his felt just as strong. It just has real nice grunt down low and the mid-range. And I gained alot of throttle response. But I think that had to do with the Web Cam.

If I would have put the complete pipe on from Hetrick's and modded the rev limiter, I bet it'd REALLY rip!

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 04:23 PM
If you two had to choose between the 416 and 425 Kit, which one would you choose? I`m not sure which Kit I want yet. TC told me the 425, but I think the 416 would be more Reliable. Which would you Choose?

Tommy 17
03-22-2002, 04:50 PM
does anyone have the hetricks pipe... i can't wait till i can get one after i finaly get all my other neccasarry things to race with...i just want to know how everyone likes them...

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 06:26 PM
I would also like to know what you Guys think of the Hetrick`s Pipe. It has a Very Nice Price.

Taco
03-22-2002, 07:07 PM
I think that their 416 National kit has a nice price. For 499 I am debating on if it is even worth my effort to do it myself.

jcv400ex
03-22-2002, 07:32 PM
If I where to do it all over again, I'd still put the 425 in it. It's worth it. A new factory sleeve is only $65, and it's pretty easy to pop out the old sleeve. The shop won't charge too much for it. It's def. reliable. I talked to TC, Baldwins, Hetricks, and GT Thunder, and they all said to go for it. It's just as reliable as long as you break it in right.

Rich said down in Georgia, 2 440ex's had his pipe on it, and they both pulled the holeshot. I can't remember the classes.

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Tacostrk, If you don`t want to do the Labor, just have Hetrick`s take down the Price and your local Honda Dealer could do it.

JCV400EX, I might go with a 425. TC told me the 425 had more Torque then a 416. Torque is what I want. Did you get a New Sleeve when you did the 425 or did you have them Bore the Stock Sleeve? I would Break mine in Right.

Who`s 440 Kit did they have? A Pipe wouldn`t make much of a Difference on two 440EX`s that were the exact same except for the Pipe. I might have to look at Hetrick`s stuff.

jcv400ex
03-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Tacostrk, the $499 does include all labor from Hetricks.

Warriorman,

Rich said the one was a TC engined 440. It was lined up with other TC 440's with TC's pipe on it. The right pipe does mean alot on a modded 4 stroke on the track. Any little edge in power, can mean the difference in 1st and 2nd place. MX racing is great to watch. It's real hard to pass on a quad. You'll see a guy follow for lap after lap, waiting for the front guy to make a mistake so you can get around. When it comes down to that last turn on the final lap....that extra 1/2 a hp or whatever, can get you by!

Yeah, the 425 has a great amount of torque. 1st thru 4th, it's just a blip of the throttle, and the front end was in the air. 5th, was about as much of a tug on the bars to get a stock 400 in the air in 3rd.

I was still on the stock sleeve. the 88mm bore is as far as you can go. I know you would break it in right, but alot of guys get too impatient and want to run the heck out of it right away. I did 4 15 min. runs, going from just above an idle to 1/2 throttle, only going as high as 3rd grear. You don't want the revs to drop below 2000 rpms with a new cam for the first 2 runs. Shift before it lugs. Lugging is bad! Let it cool down completely in between each run also.

It was nerve racking, but It had alot of compression for a 88mm piston when it was all said and done. With a Wiseco piston, it is extremely important that you follow this. They are known to come apart prematurely if not properly broken in. I've heard with either Ross or JE pistons, you can get away with only 2 breakin runs. But don't take my word for it, do what you think is right. The JE piston is what I had ordered at first, but it was on back order for 2 weeks, and the Wiseco was available the next day. :-)

I also used stock Honda gaskets. It ended up coming out to 10.2:1 compression ratio with the listed 11:1 Wiseco piston. I wasn't too upset over that, cuz I didn't want to run race gas. They say the 11:1 is right on the border.

quadfamily
03-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Has anyone had their 300EX's worked on by Hetrick or put Hetrick parts on a 300EX?? I want to get a 330 kit for mine maybe. I definately want to get the head ported and have larger intake valves installed.

jcv400ex
03-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Talk to Casey about the 330 kit. I think he's Hetrick330 in here. He'd walk away from the piped 400's in the 4stroke class down at Fox's Raceway. Screamin little machine.

Dave400ex
03-22-2002, 10:25 PM
On a Fully Built 440 a Pipe would make a Difference. I want to go to Red Bud, but it`s on Mothers Day.

I might go with the 425. I am going to Call TC some time and see what he says. He told me to just Buy a 425 Piston Kit and his XC Cam. That would only be like $300. I know the Biggest you can go is 425, I thought you said you got a New Sleeve. I will have mine Bored. I will be Very Careful breaking in a New Motor. The Guy that will put it together will do the First couple rides. I also heard it`s not good to let a Four Stroke Idle for a long time. Is this True? I`m not sure on the Compression I want. I know a 12:5 to 1 would have a lot of Torque, but I would have to Run Race Gas. I don`t know if I want that. My Three Builders to choose from are: Sparks, TC, and Hetrick`s. Sparks is really Expensive though. If I do Sparks or Hetricks I will get a New Pipe. I don`t know. For the Money I would spend on a New Pipe I could Build my Clutch. It will all come down to how much Money I have to Spend. Thanks for the Help. I think I will Email Sparks and Hetricks, and Call TC some time. Oh, isn`t Hetricks doing a Pipe shootout?

hetrick425ex
03-22-2002, 10:39 PM
hey first of all, alot of people are goingto thing i am going to be more towards hetricks but seriously i have rode other built bike and i love my new quad (jcv400ex's old bike) i love the torque... and with my 300 i NEEEVVEERR had any problem with it at all!!! my uncle does good work and i would consider him if you were looking for a engine builder,

about the pipe, i plan on gettin one asap it is a beautiful pipe and will work with the 440 or 465 also

my 300 was a all out beast man !!! hahaha i would not go anywere else, he has the 300s figured out!!!!

please dont take this as me just trrying to sell a product, this is me talking rider to rider.....
later guys...
feel free to email me with any questions!!! beefcakebadass@hotmail.com

Casey

jcv400ex
03-22-2002, 10:41 PM
No, I was saying that a new sleeve is only $65 and the labor wouldn't be that much, if you did wear out the sleeve and was worried about taking it out to the max bore.

Yeah, with the Web Cam "drop-in" cams, you don't want to let it idle. It will wear out the rockers pre-maturely then.

Yeah, he was invited to a pipe shootout. I told Casey to get him in here and post some "race experiences" with his pipe. He did at one time, mention a dyno run that he was trying to schedule also.

On my 1999, the stock clutch was still in great condition. And it was rode alot. I was going to put stock discs and everything back in it if it ever went on me. Changing the oil on a regular basis will add life to your clutch.

Also, a couple of guys I know did a group buy with custom 12.5:1 89mm pistons from Ross. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers these guys get. They do have some left I think, and the one guy was suppose to get it all together here pretty quick.

Dave400ex
03-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Hetrick330ex, You should be more towards Hetricks. If my Uncle had a Quad Shop I would tell people to Buy from him. It would be wrong if I didn`t. I will be Looking at your Uncle when I get Engine Work. He was Very Good to my Brother when he called about Shocks for his 250r. I like how the Hetrick Pipe looks. Do you have any Dyno Runs?

Jcv400ex, On the Sleeve, are you talking about if I had the 425 and it wore out, or the Stock Bore and it wore out? I`m having a Hard Time with the Sleeve thing.

Is it just the Web Drop-In Cams that you don`t want it to idle very long, or any Aftermarket Drop-In Cam? I heard you shouldn`t let the Stock Motor idle to long either. Is that right? I don`t want to mess anything up in my Engine.

Oh I thought Hetricks was doing the Pipe Shootout. He just got invited to come and watch one. Do you know who is doing this Shootout? I want to see a Dyno Run.

TC told me to run the Stock Clutch until it won`t Work anymore. If I am doing Motor Work I want to do the Clutch too. I know TC has a Clutch Setup, but I`m not sure what it all comes with and how much it is. Chadexer is getting the TC Kit and a Hinson Basket. That wouldn`t be very expensive.

jcv400ex
03-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan

Jcv400ex, On the Sleeve, are you talking about if I had the 425 and it wore out, or the Stock Bore and it wore out? I`m having a Hard Time with the Sleeve thing.

Either or. The 425 piston (88mm) is as large as you can go. So if you where to wear it out over time, you could not bore the current sleeve again. So you would have to get a new sleeve pressed into your cylinder, and have it bored out to what ever size you wanted it.

Is it just the Web Drop-In Cams that you don`t want it to idle very long, or any Aftermarket Drop-In Cam? I heard you shouldn`t let the Stock Motor idle to long either. Is that right? I don`t want to mess anything up in my Engine.

Any aftermarket cam. THey're all Web Cams. :-) Yeah, your not suppose to let any 4 stroke idle for too long. You'll wear the rockers.

Oh I thought Hetricks was doing the Pipe Shootout. He just got invited to come and watch one. Do you know who is doing this Shootout? I want to see a Dyno Run.

Yeah, he got invited to participate in the shootout. I don't know anymore details. Hetrick330ex might be able to comment more on that.

TC told me to run the Stock Clutch until it won`t Work anymore. If I am doing Motor Work I want to do the Clutch too. I know TC has a Clutch Setup, but I`m not sure what it all comes with and how much it is. Chadexer is getting the TC Kit and a Hinson Basket. That wouldn`t be very expensive.

More than likely it's just the Hinson clutch plates with the heavy duty springs. I bet with the clutch kit and the basket, it's close to $500 altogether from TC.

Dave400ex
03-23-2002, 08:30 PM
Do you think that would be a Good Clutch Setup?

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 09:09 AM
I bough my hinson basket somewhere else and shipped it to TC. Im not sure what he is doing with the clutch. If I was you Warriorman I would go with the TC 425. Thats is what Tom suggested to me too at first but I told him I want the biggest there is!!!! His 425's run VERY strong. I was just reading about one just the other day. Plus you already have his pipe and like you said you could spend that extra on a clutch instead of a new pipe. If I have my motor back before you get to yours I will let you know what I think about it, the quality of work and how it runs. I dont think I will be dissapointed though!!

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Well I want to Call TC and Ask about the Clutch Setup and his 425 Motor. I have to be Home Alone or my Mom will go Nuts. It`s going to make the Phone Bill expensive and all this. Where did you Read about his 425? I would like to Find some Info on it. I think I will go with TC. I just Emailed Hetrick`s so I will see what he says. You will have your Motor back before I do. I am getting Shocks and Stuff first. The Motor is down the Road. You will be Happy with the Work.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Hey Warriorman. if you want to call TC send me a PM and i will give you my calling card number so It dont cost you. I have a bunch of them. Only thing I ask is to tell me what he says about the clutch because I dont even really know!!!!

Dave400ex
03-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Chad, I`ll PM you in a little Bit. I have all Kinds of Posts I have to Reply to. I will tell you what he says about the Clutch Setup. I want to know what all it Includes.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 08:33 AM
If you havent called him already and you dont mind ask him If he can polish his pipes.

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 08:42 AM
I will do that.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 09:03 AM
I Emailed you. Please get Back to me. I am having Problems with the Card.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Did you figure it out??

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Yeah I got the Card figured out. I just need to Call TC.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey, also If you dont mind tell him to hurry the he!! up with my motor:D J\K

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Yeah Ok. I tried to Call. The Line was Busy.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 03:16 PM
It is busy a lot. Just keep tryin!!

Dave400ex
03-26-2002, 04:39 PM
I Tried around 5 and nobody answered. I will try again Wednesday.

hetrick425ex
03-27-2002, 06:04 AM
hey you guys, we deal with tom alot and from past expierince he is ALWAYS either on the phone or not there, i dont know how he gets anything done but thats probably whats happenin, espically with the GNC and GNCC's starting he is rushing around trying to get stuff done....if he has a email address i would try that...otherwise i dont know how to help ya haha, i will ask my friend if he wants to take a drive up there and ill take your ????'s to ask him..he is only about 45mins from here, ill let ya know..
later
casey

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 07:19 AM
I usually dont have any problem getting him to answer the phone. You said all those races are coming up?? I hope that dont hold up my motor:( He told me the other day it would be like 4-5 more weeks. I just hope he keeps his word!

quadfamily
03-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Hey Casey,
Ask him how long the turnaround would be if I sent him my 300EX head to be ported and valve job. His price is right but I don't want to wait 4-5 weeks! Thanks alot!

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 11:40 AM
I can have the head ported for you for $120 and have it back in about 1 week. I cant do the valve job though.

quadfamily
03-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Casey,
Is that for full race porting or "play port"? I want the full job. Should I get the velve job done first of after porting? That's an awesome price! Thanks.

Oh yeah, I think I decided against the 330 kit for now because of the money difference. I already have a brand new .080 over 11:1 piston from Four Stroke Tech and I probably shouldn't let that sit and go to waste. I think I'll just use that piston which will bring the cc's to 297 and the new W/B all around cam I have and get the head ported for now. I should run pretty good with that setup don't you think?

Dave400ex
03-27-2002, 03:59 PM
I couldn`t Call Today. I have Track Practice until 5 so I will have to Wait and Call Friday. I should be able to get a Hold of Tom. He needs to get a Email Setup.

Casey, That would be Cool if you did that. Let me try Calling Tom on Friday though. I hope I can talk to him.