PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head Cover Bolt Snapping

Quadmanic
05-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Guys
Are Any of you out there having the same problem, were the no 7 bolt front right hand side is snapping off. I noticed my cylinder head seeping only to discover the bolt is snapped at the bottom.
I checked five of my buddies bikes and they all have the same problem. PART no 90084-KCY-67 BOLT, FLANGE (6X118) my bike is a late 2003 model been riding 6 months. Secondly does anybody know the honda complaints number or email address. as i cant find it on the net

:mad:
Patrick

mikeminyard
05-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I had the same problem. What happens is the bolt is just a little too long and if you tighten it too much it snaps above the threads in the cylinder head. I replaced all the bolts with some stronger ones from my local hardware shop. To make sure that it doesn't hit, I used a 1mm washer underneath of it.

Spikers400
05-22-2004, 03:16 PM
hahah omg i had the same bolt snap. Only it was yestarday when i tried to install my piston and cam. same exact bolt. And i went to take it out with an extractor and it snapped off inside. I have to get it drilled and tapped on monday. I have a question too, when i put the cam in i ahve to take out the decompression mechanism. What is that, i see it no where. although when i took the head off a little pin fell out, is that part of it?

Quad Dude
05-22-2004, 08:10 PM
yes it probablly was and if it is anything like a 400ex there is a spring in there too

05-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I had the same bolt snap too! Mine was on the left side if you are sitting on the bike, but it is a number 7 also! I am currently just riding without it. So far there are no leaks. I have hundreds of miles on my rebuild this year, so I think it will hold until the next rebuild when I will have it tapped and removed.:rolleyes:

2003400exmnymds
05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, I just installed a HOT CAM and I was putting the bolts back in and snap, there goes the #7 bolt, I just let it go and so far, no leaks.

Quadmanic
05-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Gentlemen
Thank you for the response, does any body have a contact email of the states Honda technical team to query this problem. With your replies and my five mate the numbers are adding up. I would like a fix on this.
Patrick

UglyMotha™
05-25-2004, 08:40 AM
you guys just need to stop using all your brute force to tighten them down, they only need to be snugged very little torque has to be applied before they snap, so don't tighten them as tight as you can get them

hapychap
06-13-2004, 03:51 AM
:eek2: Anyone else have any comments for this problem? :confused:

Chanman420q
06-13-2004, 08:55 AM
if were talkiung about the valve cover bolts, yea i snapped the top left one right about the exhaust

Braff1
06-15-2004, 06:29 AM
If you are using a Clymer's manual it says to torque them to 17 ft lbs. It should only be 7 ft lbs. I found out after trying to torque them down.

hapychap
06-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
...says to torque them to 17 ft lbs. It should only be 7 ft lbs.

How do you know it should be 7 ft lbs? Is that according to Honda's workshop manual?

To all forum readers, have any of you experienced this problem even though your bike is being maintained by the dealer?

I seem to get the idea from all the posts on this forum string, that this 'issue' is being experienced by all the DIY people? It would be good to know if it also happens when an authorised dealer is involved. This would then clearly indicate a product technical fault.

Braff1
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
17 ft lbs is a lot of torque on the small aluminum bolts. I was initially leary but that is what my clymers said (my #7 broke too while replacing my cam) to torgue them too. After snapping it off at only 12 ft lbs I did not proceed with the others. I found in the FAQ section a list of common torque settings. These bolts were listed as 17 ft lbs but there is a note to the side that the correct torque is 7 ft lbs. I have replaced my cam about 2 yrs ago and just rebuilt the motor and have used the 7 ft lbs on the cylinder head cover bolts without any problems.

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/torque.html