PDA

View Full Version : Bent frame question

WhiteBros400ex
05-21-2004, 11:23 PM
If you put a level on the frame should is say that it is level? Or how can I find out for sure if the frame is bent, or tweaked?

Bill Fuller
05-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Most all frames are bent to some degree.Riding XC and MX is tough on any frame.Other than to put the frame in a jig and test it like that I would have to say inspect the welds and look for signs of stress(paint flaking ETC...).Another way is to just eyeball it and try to take some mearurements from from each side of the frame to compare.

sparks400
05-22-2004, 11:25 PM
u could also measure it from, the middle of the front tire to the other, and see if it is the same as it was stock, that what we did with my friends frame, it was really bent, from a tree,

WhiteBros400ex
05-23-2004, 01:38 PM
K thanks guys ill try your ways and see what i come up with it just looks like it leans to one side and it doesnt read level on the level and my tire pressure is even.

IL400EX
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
On mine the Frame is Ok but the Sub-frame is bent. Which causes the seat to lean slightly. You can really notice it when looking at the rear of the quad.

WhiteBros400ex
05-24-2004, 12:56 PM
That might be my problem but if some one on here has the time take off youf gar tank and set a lever on the frame across the top of the motor and see if it reads level cause mine doesnt and if your does i have a bent frame i think.

IL400EX
05-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Actually, I do have my quad completly torn down right now(in the process of changing swingarm pivot bearings. I can check this, but I'm am not sure if using the level will give a correct indication of a bent frame.

To start with I wouldn't count on the bike setting perfectly level while setting on the ground, a starting point would be to rasie the quad off of the ground and level the bottom frame rails. This will give you a starting point. Then procede to check the top frame rails and any other place that you can level across.

Also, are you planning on buying a new frame if you do determine its bent or are you just wanting to know.

I would assume if you have had some hard landings or crashes the frame is probably tweaked to a point.

WhiteBros400ex
05-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Its prolly tweaked i have landed a few jumps pretty hard and cased some. Im in the process of fixing it right now:)