PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks on a 400ex?

Regulator 250X
05-21-2004, 07:23 PM
I am just wondering if anyone knows that 450r shocks will fit on a 400ex? My buddy has a set of stock fronts off of his 450r and i was thinking I could put them on my quad, let me know if you have any info? Thanks guys!

sparks400
05-21-2004, 08:29 PM
they will fit, im buyin a pair later tonight, they fit on z400 there for they will fit on a 400ex, 250r

Tommy 17
05-21-2004, 09:07 PM
just because something fits dont' mean it works... u need to modify ur frame for them to even bolt on...

the shock stroke is all wrong also... valving isn't right either... plus the shocks are longer

sparks400
05-21-2004, 09:37 PM
tommy i have to disagree, they are a bolt on shocks and the shock brings down the quad 3/4 of an inch, ppl that i have talked to have them on there z's and they like the 450r shocks, all u have to do to get them for ur weight type of riding etc. is adjust them.

UglyMotha™
05-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by sparks400
tommy i have to disagree, they are a bolt on shocks and the shock brings down the quad 3/4 of an inch, ppl that i have talked to have them on there z's and they like the 450r shocks, all u have to do to get them for ur weight type of riding etc. is adjust them.

:huh AAAACCCTUUUAALLLY 450r shocks on an ex is goin to jack the front end up, not lower it, why don't you go check the specs on both bikes and you'll notice the 450r shocks are longer than the ex shock, so my question is, "how does a longer shock lower a bike" :confused: that one's got me pretty puzzled as for the rest, just cause i can bolt car tires on my bike doesn't mean that it works for the mx track

Tommy 17
05-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by sparks400

u got everything *** backwards... it will raise the quad since the shocks are longer... the shock stroke will be off... valving will be totaly off...

also a z400 shock is longer then a 400ex... but once again... its still gonna be totaly off geo and valving wise

:o

Regulator 250X
05-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I was actually wondering because i have the 250R/400EX front end setup on my 250x framed hybrid. My 250R front shocks make the quad sit pretty low so I dont think a 1/4-1/2 of an inch will make a lot of difference to me since I can adjust them better than the 250R front shocks. I'm a big enough guy that I can make them squat. Thanks for the info fellas!

sparks400
05-22-2004, 11:40 AM
im just goin by what i have read so dont get all offended, i havent tryed them, soo chill, i told i was goin by what i have red

Rip_Tear
05-22-2004, 06:29 PM
It is possible that the 450R shocks lower the 400ex, if the mounting on the a-arms is further down then the 450R it would actually lower the front end of a 400ex... Just thought I would mention that.

protraxrptr17
05-22-2004, 07:50 PM
It will not lower a 400EX. I saw a 400EX with 450R shocks at my local cycle shop last week. It was reared up like a mad spider. Do not waste your money thinking they will work. I don't think there's anybody fat enough to push 'em down to regular ride height.

seven
05-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
:huh AAAACCCTUUUAALLLY 450r shocks on an ex is goin to jack the front end up, not lower it, why don't you go check the specs on both bikes and you'll notice the 450r shocks are longer than the ex shock, so my question is, "how does a longer shock lower a bike" :confused: that one's got me pretty puzzled as for the rest, just cause i can bolt car tires on my bike doesn't mean that it works for the mx track

I got 19 1/4 Inch shocks on my 400 and it sits WAY lower!

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 01:26 AM
there are shards of truth in all these replies, but it's mostly hearsay. i have them on mine and they were 1/4 of an inch longer than the stockers. it sits higher. period. it is not from the extra length, they are sprung way too stiff for the ex (almost no sag) the thing was harsh as hell! the a arms on the 450r are 1.5 inches longer than the ex, this is the only difference in geometry (trust me i spent an hour with 2 quads and a tape measure). to solve this, i'm running the 450r fronts with springs from an 01 ski doo mxz800 snowmobile. they retail for 25 bucks each. the wire is slightly smaller diameter, and the free length is about .75 longer. i know this sounds like a backyard hack job, but i work at a shop and have access to all kinds of stuff. they are a perfect fit, and they have a perfect amount of sag for me, ( 150 lbs with stock length a arms). this setup is superior to the stock boingers in every way, plus i have the luxury of adjustable compression and rebound. i can ride full tilt over small stutter bumps and it is silky smooth. for affordable play riding with your buddies, these things are great! for full on race applications, go with the high dollar elkas etc. i will post a pic of my setup when i figure out how to. any tips?

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 01:31 AM
also, if anyone is going to put these on their ex, email me for pics of how to modify the frame without butchering it or grinding off the o/d of the shocks. it's very simple, but i'm super anal and i cringe when someone takes a bench grinder to a new shock. all you need to do to the shock is put a small chamfer on 1 edge with a file. the frame mods are just grinding off the welded on nut for the fender mount and using a slender screw from the bottom and putting a nut on top. if this sounds like jibberish, just ignore me, it's late:o

400exBro
05-24-2004, 06:47 PM
or you could buy a set of elka shocks that are made for the 400ex...
i have some for sale check the for sale forum!!!!

Josh Levi
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
i have 450r front shocks on my 400ex yes the ride height will be higher but i have +2 arms and the ride is great just need to back the pre load off all the way and set them up soft both comp. and rebound

prepracing
09-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by seven
I got 19 1/4 Inch shocks on my 400 and it sits WAY lower!

hhhhmmmmmm..... maybe becuase they are LONG TRAVEL :devil:

09-17-2006, 06:11 PM
PEOPLE....they work just fine for me, a 140lb kid....on a 400ex..they work great ok...you just have to have them revalved and tuned for your specific riding area....which C&D Racing will do for you!:rolleyes:

09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
I saw a pic and it made the front look slightly taller. GWC was/is selling stock 450r and yfz450 shocks saying they are a good improvment over stock.
I think the 450r shocks are slightly longer eye to eye and have a littel more travle than stock 400ex.

If you want a good improvment for jumping get the yfz450 fronts. They are slightly shorter eye to eye than the 400ex stock shocks but dont lower it much it can sit at about stock hight. If you twist the yfz450 preload rings up to the top you can lower the ride hight about 4-5 inches lower than stock. Thats as low as after market shocks lower you.
I had the mshocks on mine and at the lowest hight which is about 5 inches lower than stock i could handle 4ft tall doubles and woops good.
At teh highest ride hight you can handle any jump. They are a bit rough but if ste as soft as can go they almost seem to soft so i would get the yamaha shocks.
They fit all you have to do is grind the top eye hole a little smaller so it fits on the top shock mount.
I ran like that and its a huge improvment but obvisly not good as elkas but i bet you could handle higher jumps using stock yfz450 shocks than elkas.

People that run with the 450r shocks say its better than stock even if the valving is off.

Also you buy a stock 450 quad the shocks valving is off at less you weigh about 165 lbs.

So
yfz450 shocks lower hight and better for jumping and adjustments are more noticable than 450r adjustments.

450r shocks taller hight not as good for jumping but way better than stock.

I also seen a 400ex with a stock 450r rear shock and the ride hight was lower and i dont think their was any modding.

09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by the_440_kid
PEOPLE....they work just fine for me, a 140lb kid....on a 400ex..they work great ok...you just have to have them revalved and tuned for your specific riding area....which C&D Racing will do for you!:rolleyes:

I run yfz450 shocks and their totaly unmodded and they work good for me. I think the people that are saying not to get them and saying their bad are the people that run elkas/pep/tcs exc... and are thinking of top performing race shocks.

But then again used 450 shocks can cost $250 and then revalving is over $100. For that price you can get a set of works but i heard stock 450r/yfz450 shocks feel better than works cheep ones.

09-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
or you could buy a set of elka shocks that are made for the 400ex...
i have some for sale check the for sale forum!!!!

But still like the 450 shocks on the 400ex you would still need to revalve them and stuff or they really wouldn't be much better than 450 shocks on the ex.

fandl450r
09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by slow
I run yfz450 shocks and their totaly unmodded and they work good for me. I think the people that are saying not to get them and saying their bad are the people that run elkas/pep/tcs exc... and are thinking of top performing race shocks.

But then again used 450 shocks can cost $250 and then revalving is over $100. For that price you can get a set of works but i heard stock 450r/yfz450 shocks feel better than works cheep ones.

But what you seem to be forgetting, is that no matter how good they feel, or even if they do bolt up with little or no modification the fact remains the 450 shocks are not made for 400EX geometry. The leverage ratios are not the same, the mounting points are not the same, length may be close, but again not the same. Bite the bullet, and get shocks MADE for a specific quad. Thats why there is no universal fitting shocks, because each is made for a specific quad, hence all the specifications I just told you.

It gets old with people saying "oh this is sooo much better blah blah blah." Just because it bolts up doesn't make it correct. This sport isn't cheap, better just get used to it, and do it the right way.

09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r

It gets old with people saying "oh this is sooo much better blah blah blah." Just because it bolts up doesn't make it correct. This sport isn't cheap, better just get used to it, and do it the right way.

Well 450 shocks on a 400ex is better than stock. If you drive a stock 400ex on a mx track with 450 shocks it will feel better than running stock and the stock 400ex fronts cant handle big jumping like the yfz shocks. I actually like the way it handles with the yfz shocks. I never tryed elka or w/e but my quad with 450 shocks gets the job dune and is good enough for me.

09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
the fact remains the 450 shocks are not made for 400EX geometry.

It's said that the 450r geometry is a cross between a 400ex and a 250r.

fandl450r
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by slow
It's said that the 450r geometry is a cross between a 400ex and a 250r.

So how, in any way shape or form, does that make 450R shocks a proper choice for a 400EX. It's not a cross between anything, its an entirely different geometry.

Rethink your statement about 400EX's not being able to do big jumps as well. These were all done on bone stock motor, stock shocks. You obviously just don't know how to ride.

fandl450r
09-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Last time I checked that jump was right around 80 feet or more.

F-16Guy
09-19-2006, 03:30 PM
No problems here!! The stroke is not that different from the stock shocks, and the length is also very close. For what I paid, I don't think you could buy a better pair of shocks. I know all of the people on this website are pro-level racers (:rolleyes: ), but the rest of us will probably really enjoy the improved ride. I would like to add, however, that I'm running +2 arms, so the extra leverage softens up the dampning and spring rate. I probably wouldn't run these on stock arms without respringing, unless you shop in the "husky" department.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/p0a2140a510a4515cac48cdf82037a12a/ed623313.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pf2f212891d69def5c6df1259123cf255/ed6232a9.jpg

Mike[socal]
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a 2002 400ex that has stock suspension with the exception of front Works AT steelers. I ride a quad every once in awhile when I either feel like some strange or ride with the wife on her 250ex. I normally ride on 2 wheels. The stock 400ex shocks are so horrible I don't think you can do any worse. I picked up some 450r shocks and plan on running them stock with +2+1 arms and a +4 axle. I weigh 180 and ride fast desert strictly for pleasure. I figure for the price(less than half the cost of my works AT steelers) I couldn't go wrong. I will post my Joe Blo non-professional comparison when I get everything together and have ridden it. Do I race? No. Will I jump it? No. Do I think they'll be better than the stock shocks. Hell yes.

F-16Guy
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
But what you seem to be forgetting, is that no matter how good they feel, or even if they do bolt up with little or no modification the fact remains the 450 shocks are not made for 400EX geometry. The leverage ratios are not the same, the mounting points are not the same, length may be close, but again not the same. Bite the bullet, and get shocks MADE for a specific quad. Thats why there is no universal fitting shocks, because each is made for a specific quad, hence all the specifications I just told you.

I disagree. It's a piston moving through oil, and a spring (or springs). Shocks ARE NOT rocket science, and 99% of the people on this site are not top level racers that have to utilize every millimeter of travel that the balljoints can give. The length and stroke of the 450R shock compared to the stocker was very close when I compared them. You obviously can't just bolt up any shock to any quad, but these particular shocks are very close, and with a set of +2 arms, the spring rate and valving feel very good for a recreational rider. Shock companies have made a killing by convincing people that what they make is ultra-complex, but take apart an R/C car shock, and that's essentially what you have. If you doubt that they would work well on a 400ex, maybe you should ask all of the people I passed at the WORCS races I went to :macho

Pappy
09-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I do not like how stock R shocks on a 400 raise the ride height, but would run a pair that were re sprung and valved ona 400 in a heart beat especially if i was a trail rider or racer on a budget.

We are running a set that were done for our 400/300 conversion and other then a main spring change they are wroking extremely well.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g162/400ex127/DSC_5886.jpg

F-16Guy
09-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I wish I had a quad like that when I was his age! :bandit:

Pappy
09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I wish I had a quad like that when I was his age! :bandit:

i will tell you like I tell him...thats MY quad and I allow him to ride it:p

zrpilot
09-19-2006, 09:48 PM
If your on a budget, the 450R shocks will be better then stock by a wide margin. I have some and had them rebuilt by GT Thunder. They sit lower then the stock 400EX and I really like them for the price. Are they the best, no, but GT Thunder does all of the needed mods to get the valving, springing and stroke correct for a 400ex. In the end, they are pretty much redesigned for a 400ex, in my opinion and they work better than some aftermarket shocks.

Will I ever have really good aftermarkets, maybe, but until then I'm sticking with these.

09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
So how, in any way shape or form, does that make 450R shocks a proper choice for a 400EX. It's not a cross between anything, its an entirely different geometry.

Rethink your statement about 400EX's not being able to do big jumps as well. These were all done on bone stock motor, stock shocks. You obviously just don't know how to ride.

Well my 400ex with stock shocks couldn't handle the jumps i was hitting. I even have a small oval track and their is a dip on the track and going fast into the dip i all ready bottomed the fronts out.