PDA

View Full Version : Jetting problem

TRXMaddness
05-21-2004, 02:44 PM
My problem is that my 400 does not want to stay running when just sitting at idol or when I lock the brakes up going into a tight turn. It also is bogging way to much. So this problem or question would be for the jetting guros here.... I recently rebuilt my 03 400EX with a few minor mods (you can see what mods I have below) and I also recently moved from Va Beach to Beaufort, SC; big difference in weather climate. Now with the HMF slip-on will I keep my main jet a 175 like HMF says too? Or should I adjust the air to fuel mixture along with the idol to solve my problem.

Thanks for you help.

Russ

cals400ex
05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
that stock carb and stage 2 cam didn't work good for me either. my bike didn't idle right. the only thing i can tell you to do is put in a smaller pilot jet or turn the fuel skrew in some. when i leaned it out, it would idle better. however, i know a lean condition is not what we want. i spent numerous hours trying to jet that and i came to the conclusion it wasn't the pilot jet, fuel skrew, mainjet or needle clip position. it must have been another jet in the carb such as the needle taper, needle diameter, needle jet, slide or something. mine would idle fine when the bike was cold. when it was at full temp, the idle was very irratic. i would still lean your mixture out at idle and that should help.

for the mainjet, i would go down a little bit even with your engine.

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 12:46 AM
welcome to the downfalls of aftermarket cams! when you run an agressive cam, you get a really lopey idle. this is the price you pay for having all your power in the mid to top range. turn your idle up a little so it'll stay running somewhat smooth, forget trying to jet this symptom away, it is the cam. good luck