PDA

View Full Version : Toyota truck...help!!!

900rracer
05-21-2004, 09:07 AM
I have a 1989 toyota truck and the other night it just shut off while driving. It starts but stops immediately. I used a fuel pressure guage and I have 34 pounds of pressure at the fuel filter. I checked all vacuum lines, electrical, and changed plugs cap and rotor. Any Toyota guys out there have any suggestions before I drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump? Please help!!

Pappy
05-21-2004, 09:10 AM
my Yota did that very same thing. it ended up being one of the large fuses under the hood in the auxillary fuse panel. might try looking them over before you drop that tank.

Woodsrider
05-21-2004, 09:25 AM
If you have 34# of pressure its not the pump.
Is the pressure constant? Meaning do you have pressure while cranking, or just when you turn the key on? If the pressure drops when you crank it, its more likely to be the fuel injection main relay. However, the Main relay on Toyotas are pretty dependable. And I doubt that you have a fuel delivery problem, but more likely a problem with the mass air flow sensor or the ignition control module. Both are a much more common problem on the 89's.

Just curious, how much crap do you have on your key ring? I have seen the ignition wear out as well. Can you get it to stay running if you play with the key in the ignition switch? Some times the electrical portion of the switch goes bad and will shut off unless the key is heldjust between positions II and III. Too much crap hanging on the key ring will cause the switch to wear faster than normal, due to the side load it causes.

05-21-2004, 11:37 AM
i have a 1989 toyota & a couple months ago I too was crusing down the highway when it just cuts off...no loud noise or banging or any warning..just turns itself off...it also would not start up, engine just kept turning over..so i look at my fuses & my 15 amp is blown, i change it out & turn the truck over...it runs perfectly fine & I start to drive off & it just dies again like before..i look at my 15amp fuse & its blown...this keeps happening so we changed out my fuel pump but apparently it wasnt it cause it did it again...i also dont think there are any shorts..what do you think this is & is it the same problem you are having? :confused: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/p8a5e52741a588e064d518579dd32efcc/fb36c0b0.jpg

Regular_Joe
05-21-2004, 07:46 PM
I had a Dodge Dakota once that would just randomly quit for a while. It was the MAP Sensor ....

900rracer
05-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for some of the input guys, I will check over all my fuses today. I am also going to try to keep it running on ether or WD40 to see if it is a fuel problem. I think its electrical though. I have the Haynes manual so I will be reading that pretty thorough. Jumbo, as far as your 15 amp fuse going all the time, which fuse is it? If you find out what system it is linked to then you can troule shoot that particular system. I was also considering my throttle position sensor because as soon as I hit the gas pedal it dies even quicker. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks a ton!

Out_Sider
05-22-2004, 09:58 AM
i have a question about mine also.. its a 1977 Toyota 2 wheel drive 4 speed, and it wont crank at all. i turn the key and nothign happens, i replaced the starter w/ a remanufactured one, and it cranked right up..but then a month later..it quit starting on me..so im lost, did it blow the starter or something?

05-22-2004, 02:39 PM
its the fuel pump fuse

900rracer
05-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Well I dropped the tank and the fuel pump was fine. The only thing still was that it would run when cranking the engine but not after you let the key go. So I ran a hot wire from an ignition fuse in the panel and jumped out the fuel pump so it runs as soon as you turn the key on. Still no luck. I ran the truck off starting fluid for about thirty seconds or so and it ran fine, I just did not want to run it too long with ether. So if it runs fine with starting fluid, that pretty much eliminates any electrical or vacuum problems, it points to the fuel delivery, its just not getting it. I did look at my fuel lines under the body and they are pretty corroded, and wet. I am wondering if I have an air leak in the lines and that is taking away the vacuum required to get the fuel up to the motor. But remember when I put a fuel pressure guage on it, I was getting 34 pounds of pressure when cranking.

Kevin

FastHonda400ex
05-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel injectors yet? If you have 34# at the fuel filter, you might have a faulty regulator that's not delivering fuel to the injectors. You should do an Ohms reading on the injectors to see if they're working correctly.

900rracer
05-23-2004, 11:32 AM
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator with one off my other motor and still no luck. It starts and shuts off immediately. I am thinking about the ingition key switch. it runs in the start position, and when I let go of the key to the run position, it cuts out. I priced an ignition key switch and it is like $63.

sandspanker
05-31-2004, 02:30 AM
check the mass air flow sensor. I have seen the springs on the doors break. also if you know someone with a yota like yours start changing parts one at a time until it runs.

900rracer
05-31-2004, 07:41 AM
I think I pretty much narrowed it down to the ignition switch. I talked to a few guys and they said that sounds logical. As soon as I let the go from the start position it shuts off. The part is $90 from the dealer, but I am trying to find a used one first.