PDA

View Full Version : Mod'd Eaton vs Mod'd TRX90

Oouthere
05-21-2004, 08:41 AM
My 7 year old daughter races at our local track and has been riding an 80 Raptor. I know, we originally bought it for the styling as racing had never crossed our minds.

The modified two strokes have been showing-up lately and they easily have her by 3-4 bike lengths by the first turn and the fastest one can lap her in a 3 lap race. She makes-up a little time in the turns as the Raptor using spacers seems to hold its own in the turns.

I would like to know if a TRX90 with 2.5" spacers, 106cc kit, cam, 5 degree key and a slip on would have a chance against an Eaton with 3" a-arms, 110cc kit, exhaust system, custom front shocks and longer swing arm?

I don't mind my daughter being beaten but when the kid did a victory lap holding-up his finger this bothered me. I think she out rode him but was simply out quad'd.

Rich

Pappy
05-21-2004, 08:59 AM
if both were built , and riders equal , i'd say the Eton will come out on top. It out handles the Honda, builds power faster and the auto clutch allows the rider to use more power in turns and on the face of jumps.

in the XC series we race, modded honda's will pull an Eton(stock engine eton) and can usually stay in front if the riders are somewhat equal. I feel the Eton handles better but the Honda offers better and more presice steering along with a lighter feel in regards to the front end.

Oouthere
05-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I need to give credit where credit is due, the boy is an excellent rider. My daughter runs the Raptor for all it's worth and may not be able to hang with the faster racers on a similar quad but I'd like her to at least be in the same ballpark.

Sometimes I get excited about beating a XR400 but I'm also riding a WR450F so why shouldn't I. 'Must be an ego thing......

Anyway, back to the subject....our closest Eaton dealer is about 2 hours away and the Honda dealer is about 20 minutes so we may get the Honda simply due to logistics. We were going to trade-in the Raptor on a LT80 but the frame is so small, as is the Eaton, she feels a little cramped after riding the Raptor. Do to her height she may be stuck with the larger framed quads.

Thanks again,

Rich

Syrus
05-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Not sure on how the rules go for the races, but why dont u toss a cr85r engine in that little frame, not much will touch you with that lol.

ACME ROCKET CO.
05-30-2004, 12:15 AM
I was just wondering what track were you at and which color ETON was it? If you can remember.

markvette
05-30-2004, 09:33 AM
now billy bubba dont do victory laps with his finger up in the air. i know another kid that does but he dont ride a eton.

we race all over south miss. and alabama. i only know of one quad like you describe and my son rides it but he has never done a victory lap. what color is the quad and at what track.

Mark

Oouthere
06-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Hiya's, that was my daughter Jessica in the second race at Irvington, AL and the winning rider was on a green two stroke that I thought was an E-ton.

I'd say just about any two-stroke walks away from the Raptor but when the moded versions showed-up I think she did pretty good for what she had to work with. She was matched-up once against a Yamaha Breeze and I didn't tell her the other one was faster just that she had to ride harder. She hurt her hand that race trying to push the throttle further, can't ask for more than that!

We got the TRX90 today and she's getting acqainted with it now. The TRX seems much better in the power and suspension so it's looking-up already. We'll be at the track this weekend and hopefully we can line-up a few holeshot practices as I think the TRX will pull a holeshot better in second than first.

See ya at the track,

Rich

markvette
06-01-2004, 09:36 PM
we were going to practice this weekend but my older sons quad is down and we wont have the parts in time. thought it was his axle bearings but it ruined the carrier too. he is leading the points in the big quad class on his 400ex. cant miss it yellow plastic with red flames. the trx is a lot better quad than the raptor 80. the raptor 80 has a rev limiter built into the cdi and no one makes a replacement without the limiter. we ran against a modded raptor 80 a month or so ag at rock hill, had pipe, works shocks and aluminum rims, it just couldnt hang with the modded 2 strokes. there is a kid that runs a trx 90 at rock hill, not sure of all the mods but it has quite a few. he was beating my son for a while until bubba started jumping bigger, our eton would pull him in the straught and corners but bubba would almost stop before the jumps and the boy on the trx would keep it pinned for the jumps and pass him. the 2 strokes with the auto tranny are pretty fast out of the gate if you set the clutch and variator up right, bubba's eton will smoke my yamaha warrior 350 in a 100 foot drag race. if you need any help on the quad let me know, that is what i do, build mini quad motors for wrh racing. see yopu next weekend.

Mark

Oouthere
06-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Your oldest boy is very fast! That's the first time Justin has had to work hard and still get beaten, he's our local hero ya know! Justin's swing arm busted a couple weeks back on his 400ex but I think his 450 is ok. Hopefully Josh will be back on line before the next race (6/12), that's always a sight to see. At least you have a little time to get the 400 back up and running.

I get so mad at my daughter (#6/Z400) for her shananagines.....she wants to race but had a bad wreck a few months back that hurt her throat, chin and knocked the air out of her after she overshot the second tabletop on the grandstand row and flat faced the tripple. She also managed to bend both front axles and a rim. I don't mind if she tries, and could care less how many parts are damaged so long as she's ok, but this puttering around nonesense is ridicilous, if she doesn't start running again I'm going to pull her from the races.

Well, we'll see you at the track and maybe you can point out some obvious weak points on the TRX I've missed.

Thanks,

Rich

212racing
06-01-2004, 11:43 PM
any mods to trx call charles at 1 800 414 2973
in fact i believe billy holt knows him markvette might also
he can make the trx really run
icracing in warrior al.

mxmike17
06-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Oouthere, Check out the Deep South mini quad series thread. This sounds like it will be good for you. There will be a class for 4-8 yr olds 90cc and under. This will help keep you girl riding with kids her own age and not having to race the Big Boars.

We are going to try and make it to Mobil Dirt Tracking this Sunday to practice. My boy will be there on his Blue 70cc E-Ton and I will be there on a Silver Cannondale MX quad. I will have fliers for the series and would love to have yall join us.

Oouthere
06-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the number. I've gone to his website and suppose it's time to buy the big gun pipe and cdi upgrade. I don't know what's worse, a boat or dirt toys!

MXMike17, were you at MDT during the last race? I saw a Cannondale quad roaming the area, it really stood out as that's the first Cannondale I've seen at the track. I don't know if we'll be at MDT Sunday but we'll probably be there Saturday.

Thanks all,

Rich

mxmike17
06-03-2004, 07:46 AM
No that was not me. I havent been there in over a year.

ACME ROCKET CO.
06-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey Ouuthere,
That was a National 50cc DRR with a stock pipe on it. The kid was my son Riley. His National Number is 15, his local number is 5.
He was the 2001 Alabama 50cc State Champion, and is the 2003 50cc South Mississippi State Champion.
He was only mimicking what he see's on Play Station, ESPN2, and the NASCAR channel. He runs that class so he can at least stay use to the 50 so we can go back to the Nationals later this year. Raptor 720 and myself put that one together. It's ATVA Legal.
Riley had to run with the North Alabama QUADS 15 years and under for a whole season. When he was only 5 to 6 years old so he has had plenty of defeat and was lapped many a time. There were no tracks around here then.
That was his first ever victory lap, and probably his last for now.
But he is totally happy if he even gets to finish in front of anyone.
Riley just wants to race hard and get off the quads and play with the kids

He will not be able to finish the series due to my work schedule. So good luck. We will be coming out on off weekends to practice though.
Please don't think he meant to insult anyone, he only was having a great day, in a 7 year old childs mind.

Oouthere
06-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Acme,

Thanks for straightening that out. We didn't make it the track Saturday as originally planned but my oldest daughter and I made it today. The main track was great but the peewee track needed help.

MXMike's little guy on the 50/70 E-Ton was really cooking! That four year old little man can probably take my 7 year old daughter! He'd probably give me a run for the money on the Z400.....

We'll see ya around,

Rich

mxmike17
06-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Glad we got to meet yall Ritch we had a good time.
Man that track is so much fun. Me and Little Mike loved it.
We may try and make the race at the end of the month.

Thanks for the complament on Mike Jr. He rides every chance he gets and that has helped him step up alot.