View Full Version : 2 brake Qs... Front & Back

cwiert
05-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Last night I changed all my pads and bled all the lines...jabber style, which works great by the way.
The back brakes work fine now, except the pedal kind of sticks when i press it down. It doesn't want to come back up. I have to use my toe and pull it back up. Do I just need to replace that spring? I find it odd, because it never did that before I changed the pads.

The front brakes work great only after I pump the lever a couple times. If I just pull the front brakes once, it won't stop at all. I need to pump it a couple times, build up pressure I guess, and then it will stop. Do I still have air in the lines??? I bled them like 3 times and nothing but solid fluid is coming out of my "fish pump" hose. And the lever is still not firm at all. What gives?

Toadz400
05-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Something similar happened to me on my 400ex. Take out your brake lever and clean off the part that inserts into the frame, and also stick a rag on a stick or something and clean out the inside where the petal inserts into. It's most likely just dirty in there, and make sure to put anti-seize on the brake petal when you put it back in. If that's not it...then the spring is probably bad.

Can't help you with the front brakes, I'm not good with the whole bleeding crap.

Doibugu2
05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Pump the brakes a bunch of times then let them sit over night. It seems to push the air up better. That should take care of the front.

Not sure about the rear, but sounds like they need to be bleed a little more too.

JOEX
05-21-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm with Toadz400 on the rear pedal. Mine seized and toasted brand new pads.

I'd say the fronts probably have an air bubble stuck, Doibugu2's idea sounds good.