PDA

View Full Version : Tornado WARNING!!! Were getting slammed...

400EX_Kid_03
05-20-2004, 10:56 PM
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... WASHTENAW COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN

* UNTIL 100 AM EDT

* AT 1159 PM EDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 6 MILES WEST OF CHELSEA... OR ABOUT 14 MILES EAST OF JACKSON... MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* THE TORNADO IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR... CHELSEA AROUND 1210 AM EDT 8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF DEXTER AROUND 1220 AM EDT 9 MILES SOUTHWEST OF ANN ARBOR AROUND 1235 AM EDT SALINE AROUND 1240 AM EDT

We are getting slammed...i am right outside of Ann Arbor...

Punk'd
05-20-2004, 10:57 PM
That sucks man! I love to go to sleep when theres a storm though im weird..:huh Hope everything for you is alright man!

JUSTINcredible
05-20-2004, 11:03 PM
dude your dumb, go in the basement. they dont give out tornado warnings just cuz they feel like it. dont fug around with that, i have seen first hand how quick it will come and go and do alot of damage

sly400ex
05-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah....my house already got slammed........:(

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 12:41 AM
:( How bad?????

DESDAK4
05-21-2004, 12:51 AM
How did you guys come out. I live here in ND and we get the major storms all the time. While I chase storms and stuff they do really mess some stuff up.

Jay
BS Racing

400EX_Kid_03
05-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
dude your dumb, go in the basement. they dont give out tornado warnings just cuz they feel like it. dont fug around with that, i have seen first hand how quick it will come and go and do alot of damage

Well since my room is in the basement, and my computer is in my room, i think I was ok... in the end, it turned out ok, alot of spot flooding in detroit (bout 45min from me), i havent been out yet this morning to see how we got it around here, im sure we will have a couple of downed trees around, ALOT of standing water... no tornado THANK GOD, it never touched down. But WOW, what an AMAZING lightning show, the skies were lit SOLID for at least 35 min.... all in all.. no tornado, everything turned out ok, but it got scary for a bit!

2000400EX
05-21-2004, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I heard about that tornado this morning on the news.....I live just west of Monroe. I was glad to hear that nothing came of it!:eek2:

Guy400
05-21-2004, 06:38 AM
I went to bed last night around 12:15 and I woke up to the storm around 2:00. Sounded pretty nasty but I didn't bother to get up and look at anything. While we're on the subject of tornado warnings I've got to say I'm a little fed up with the weather service. It used to be a "Tornado Watch" if the conditions were right for a tornado and then it was a "Tornado Warning" if one was actually spotted somewhere. Now they give out tornado warnings at the drop of a hat. Here in NE Ohio we get tornado warnings nearly everytime there's a thunderstorm. Seems like they've sensationalized weather predicting like everything else. It's just as bad in the winter. Everytime it snows they make it out to be like it's going to be the worst blizzard in 30 years.

Here's the weather map from last night's storm. Looks like we're in for a duplicate later this afternoon:eek:

xr50layke
05-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 400EX_Kid_03
Well since my room is in the basement, and my computer is in my room, i think I was ok... in the end, it turned out ok, alot of spot flooding in detroit (bout 45min from me), i havent been out yet this morning to see how we got it around here, im sure we will have a couple of downed trees around, ALOT of standing water... no tornado THANK GOD, it never touched down. But WOW, what an AMAZING lightning show, the skies were lit SOLID for at least 35 min.... all in all.. no tornado, everything turned out ok, but it got scary for a bit!

dude i live in southern ontario and i was watching the sky light up every 2 seconds there was lightning i was like holy cow i hope michigans okay! LOL!

even here, the rain was nutty :huh

PHAT400
05-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah man.. crazy storm last night.... I swear my yard was lit up as if it were the middle of the day. Lightning about every 3 seconds..

:eek2:

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Im glad you all were safe....;)
Guy~~ What is the weather like right now??? This is one nice thing about living in Idaho, we have a few torandos spotted here and there over a few years,but nothing big....Ever since I was a small kid I dream of dying in a tornado:eek2: .Im not sure why I do.......:o

Guy400
05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Right now it's a sun/cloud mix and about 80. We're in a severe thunderstorm watch right now up until midnight. Radar shows another storm like last night's moving in.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Right now it's a sun/cloud mix and about 80. We're in a severe thunderstorm watch right now up until midnight. Radar shows another storm like last night's moving in. Thats got to be scary with a new baby at home!!:eek2: Be safe.......

Guy400
05-21-2004, 12:42 PM
LOL...I think the old people that built our home were tornado-phobics. I live in an all brick home and rather than having wood-studded walls they used cement block from the basement floor all the way to the attic:eek2: So if you'd look at a cross section of one of my exterior walls in the house than you'd have the brick on the outside, cement block in the middle and then my wall plaster right on the block. My wife and I always joke that if our house burned down all you'd have to do is put a new roof on it and then repaint:D We certainly don't see tornadoes like Oklahoma or Kansas but we'll probably get about 2 a year in my county. I really don't think about them anymore to be honest.

rollie
05-21-2004, 01:14 PM
OO thats not good! I hope u can sleep tonight:blah:

JUSTINcredible
05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
While we're on the subject of tornado warnings I've got to say I'm a little fed up with the weather service. It used to be a "Tornado Watch" if the conditions were right for a tornado and then it was a "Tornado Warning" if one was actually spotted somewhere. Now they give out tornado warnings at the drop of a hat. Here in NE Ohio we get tornado warnings nearly everytime there's a thunderstorm. Seems like they've sensationalized weather predicting like everything else.

The weather service will not issue tornado warnings just at the drop of a hat, and 95% of the time there is no tornado on the ground when a tornado warning is issued, a tornado warning is issued when either the NWS radar is seeing rotation in a thunderstorm or spotters on the ground see characteristics favorable for sudden tornado development. I have video of a tornado that hit Glenville MN in June of 01, spotters were watching that storm that had a non-rotating wall cloud (not dangerous) and litterly within about 25 seconds strong inflow winds went into it and it created a up draft and a tornado spun down right on top of Glenville doing major damage, and because the storm went from relitivly non tornadic to an F3 tornado in seconds nobody was properly warned. So if your county is in a Tornado warning they are not playing around and they have reason to belive a tornado could come down at any second, Just hopefully your city wont be like Glenville:(

400exBro
05-21-2004, 03:09 PM
with all this bad weahter does anyone know if the race at Red Bud is still on??? and what will happen if it beggins to rain again..

i don t want to drive 5 hours to red bud and end up having it cancelled due to bad weather!!!!

05-21-2004, 05:25 PM
must not of been too bad of a storm since power didnt go out and u was still on here, but try again when a real storm rips thru ur house, then tell us about it

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by DRichitty
must not of been too bad of a storm since power didnt go out and u was still on here, but try again when a real storm rips thru ur house, then tell us about it Why did you have to even be a smartAzz like that????!!:mad:

05-21-2004, 08:44 PM
ya..i was in school about to elave..when we got the announcement saying to go into the tornado drill...had to stay an extra hour. the funny thing is we were playing tennis for gym, it was a nice sunny day..i go in for the shower..come out..look out the window its pitch black and looks like midnight...

sly400ex
05-21-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't know how many of you heard about the Joliet Tornado a few weeks ago, but my house was at the tail end of it's path. It blew over a big tree in my front yard, and took off parts of the roof. Thankfully it was only an F1, with wind speeds around 110mph. A few blocks away, it damged some homes substantially. Roofs blown off, all windows blown out, campers blown over, garages blown down......

Here is a neat link I just found of the aftermath, dial-up users beware!!!:eek2:

http://www.cityofjoliet.org/twistedhouses.htm

05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Why did you have to even be a smartAzz like that????!!:mad:

give it up tina, quit being a (#$*$% to me about everything i say. ARF

05-21-2004, 09:42 PM

just because what i type you take personally doesnt mean you have to extinguish your feelings on the internet, cmon now. its pretty damn annoying.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
just because what i type you take personally doesnt mean you have to extinguish your feelings on the internet, cmon now. its pretty damn annoying. Whos annoying here.....:huh
Considering I dont know you I cant take it personally.........Also if I was.......

I would have booted you a LONG time ago......But then again.... its still not too late.....Watch your mouth. I wont take your $hit here pal.........:grr: And Im not going to close Guys Thread over a smart***** Punk.........

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 09:56 PM
BTW.... I call it the way I see it........

Dont flatter yourself into thinking your special enough that I dont make comments to others who post rude comments......:rolleyes:

LTandRaptorider
05-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
BTW.... I call it the way I see it........

Dont flatter yourself into thinking your special enough that I dont make comments to others who post rude comments......:rolleyes:

Yeah... you're on my *** all the time... and I like it!:devil:

Now where's that feather duster?

Would this be a bad time to bring up your typos...:confused: :eek: :D

wilkin250r
05-21-2004, 10:56 PM

Easy, there Cowboy. Tina is beloved on this site, comments like that will have this whole place up in arms... ;)

QuadJunkies
05-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Yeah... you're on my *** all the time... and I like it!:devil:

Now where's that feather duster?

Would this be a bad time to bring up your typos...:confused: :eek: :D LMAO!!!!!:p I believe it was a feather whip..not a duster...........:devil:

Guy400
05-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Pretty good storm yesterday evening but we kept power;) Come to think of it when a tornado touched down just a mile or two from my house I had power the whole time. I couldn't help but watch the weather radar (it was on every damn network station) yesterday. North Canton had a 99mph wind gust. Cleveland had a gust of wind that ripped a roof off a building and threw it into the highway. Last I heard we didn't have a tornado touch down anywhere. DR****ty, here are some pics of a tornado and we kept power. This was an F2...

http://www.lawrencefire.com/tornado/images/image06.jpg

This went right through someone's barn:eek2:

http://www.lawrencefire.com/tornado/images/image22.jpg

Mxjunkie
05-22-2004, 07:07 AM
that barn got killed:eek2: , i hate tornados allways been scared of them since i was a kid

ShiftFMX
05-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Friday was crazy. I was at school, and we were about to leave when we went into tornado procedures. The sky was black, then that went away and it turned light green. One of my teachers was like, "A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN OUR AREA, AND ITS HEADED RIGHT FOR US!!" we had to sit out in the hall for awhile, and it was starting to get boring, and since there hasnt been a tornado here for at least the 16 years that ive been alive, i didn really think too much of it! I was starting to get the attitude of, "man this is really boring" I got up and asked my teacher if my and my girlfriend could just leave, but we couldnt :mad: .

But it was all good, Afterwards my g/f was a little scared, so i needed to comfort her, me and her drove back to my house ;)