PDA

View Full Version : jetting help!

greco400
05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I went to jet my qaud today well... i came out bad the boot is cracked well i tried jetting it anyways i put in a 160 main and i 155 and air screw in one turn idle fine expect when i gave i more gas it would supputer and the guy doing it said it was a waste of money because the pipes have no power gains(hetrick)

It was back firing really bad
what should i do?? i also brought the needle clip up one

thanks?!

greco400
05-20-2004, 07:42 PM
any body??

greco400
05-20-2004, 08:01 PM
bump??

any body know ?

greco400
05-21-2004, 01:21 PM
I really need help!?

cals400ex
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
go back and tell me what you said in the first post using periods. i can't seem to read it.

tell me your elevation, temperature outside and ALL the mods you have done to your bike (including air box lid on or off).

i will then try to help you out some. by the way, no pipe on a 400ex is going to add tons of power.

quadrider400
05-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
go back and tell me what you said in the first post using periods. i can't seem to read it.
I agree however if i am reading this right ;

1. If the boot is cracked I would not be running it either one is post filter and that means bad things going into your motor. Plus if it is after the carb you are going to be getting extra air causing a lean run not to mention screwing up the smooth flow of air.

2. If the "air" adjustment you are talking about is the one on the bottom it should be out 2.25 turns stock maybe 2.5 turns but one is not enough.

3.If you are talking about the one on the side that is a drain plug at least on mine.

4. Not knowing all your mods makes it hard to say read my sig knowing that I run a 172 but am heading down to a 170 I am just to rich.

5. If you have a custom piston you should to be running a mix of race fuel either 3 gallons of 106 octane and 2 gallons of premium or 2.5 gallons of 110 and 2.5 of premium for the best results. Stay away from AV gas it is cheaper but will really screw up your jetting issues.

Hope this gives you some of the answers you need....

Quad

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 12:01 AM
are you for real??? replace the cracked boot!!!! you're trying to put perfume on a pig. if the air leak is on the fuel side (after the carb) you are sucking air ( LEAN ) you can't possibly overcome this with jetting. i'm not trying to be harsh, maybe i didn't understand your question fully, but jetting it mega rich is just a band aid. if you have a leak fix it. half a turn on the pilot screw is way too little, who told you to do that? and yes, punctuation is helpful.

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 12:06 AM
i reread your post like 5 times:
1. tell the "guy doing it" he's a knucklehead
2. buy a jet kit and install it yourself or if you aren't comfortable doing it, have a REPUTABLE shop do it. the baseline settings should be close enough for you.
3. take your time, spell correctly and punctuate your posts if you need good clear answers. good luck