PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Ford diesel know-alls...

05-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi, just wondering which Powerstrokes are the best model years. I am looking at something in my price range of up to 12k. This will be my first truck (well, I have a 97 3/4 ton chevy, gas, which I will sell to get a good diesel) and I want a 4 door with a short bed. I won't be able to afford the latest crop of Powerstrokes, and I like the older body style better. I was wondering which was better:
7.3 'stroke or the 6.0. I am not sure which model year these things changed, I am more of a chevy man myself, so I don't know the history of ford. I just never did like the older chevy diesels. The Dmaxes are awesome, I love driving my moms, and the mileage is spectacular. I just want to know which years were the best, what to look for, what to watch out for, and fuel mileage numbers.

Any help will be appreciated, even if it is just reccommending a website or other resource to check out.

Thanks!

big-guy
05-20-2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Giz400ex
05-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Well, its gonna be hard finding a diesel for 12k!! For 12k your gonna get something 7-9 years old with over 100k miles on it. Are you also talking 4x4? Here in NY there asking 25k-30k for a 99 with almost 65k miles but it is a diesel but its still 65k on the body. Location could be different for pricing but thats the way it is here. The 6.0 was just released last year and I believe the 7.3 ps was introduced around 93, I know it wasn't in 91 because my father has one and its the basic 7.3. If I was you, I would save a little bit more $$$. The 6.0, I'm waiting for a couple years for them to work out the bugs. From our local Ford dealer, they've had some probs with them but are working them out. Good luck

Out_Sider
05-20-2004, 07:17 PM
my dad has the 6.0 and it rips!! lol. the ford place did somethign with the computer and made it run alot better, it was chuggin on start up, but now, its smooth and everything is working great.

05-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys, this is the beginning of a knowledgeable session.

Giz, I have found '95's for under 10K. Body was straight, ran good, had 4WD, PL, PL, ECLB, and was black :macho .
I do realize Diesel=$, but I can sell my existing truck for about 10K. I have a few in the bank, and two quads I can sell. Not bad for a 15 yr old eh? Plus, I will still have a Suzuki LT-250R laying around. Of course, I do not plan on putting all of my money into a truck, but I can see spending about 15K on a nice one. I plan to buy one this summer, if I can convince my parents. So far it is going well, and they really don't mind as long as it is my money.

Thanks again, keep the tips comin'!

SSracingNY
05-20-2004, 07:34 PM
my dad got his 02 Ford F-250 turbo powerstroke diesel. V8. grabbed it for like $26,000. i think its mint, hauls *** and can tow a lot. it hauls our 40ft enclosed trailer with no problem.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid117/p9069b6cbc6c343d332798f0f4ffb1375/f8a29a09.jpg

05-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey, that red Chevy looks about like mine! The Ford looks pretty nice, a 40ft trailer sounds mighty fine. I pull a 28ft horse trailer(gooseneck) with my truck and it seems to lack the balls! It is a 5 sp., with a 350. Kinda dinky.

PS, is a 5 speed a common tranny on a PS?

bulkdriverlp
05-20-2004, 09:05 PM
if you want a diesel get the 7.3
you wont find a newer one for less than 22g if you do your lucky. or it wont be 4x4
or just regular cab or somethin. the ford dealer in town had a 01 4x4 ext cab for 23.5. thats the goin rate.jmo ed:eek2:

sduncan
05-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Go to www.thedieselstop.com . You will learn more there about ford diesels than anywhere else. Go to the forum section and get to reading. There is seperate forums for all models,i.e., 6.9, 7.3IDI, early Powerstrokes,99-03 PSD and the new 6.0. There is also a "for sale "section you might want to check out. If you can, go for a 94-97 model. These were the first years of the Powerstroke and are nice motors. The earlier 7.3 was an IDI(in-direct injection) and had a different head and injection set up. 99-03 models are the later Powerstoke and have intercoolers and better turbos. They also make a little more power than the early motors. You should be able to find a nice 96-97 4x4 PSD for about 15k. After you get it, start saving your quarters for the mods that you'll want to make. With a few mods, they will get with the program. Rice burners,ect BEWARE!!!!:devil: :blah:

Mr.Offroad
05-20-2004, 10:54 PM
The 6.0 is brand new. It cranks out more ponies than the 7.3 stroker, but watch out for the first bunch out. They use a ceramic injector, and had a lot of problems in the early ones. If you're looking at early '90s, be aware they made 2 different 7.3s. They made a 7.3 turbo which was nothing more than a 7.3 idi with an ATS turbocharger, and the infamous powerstroke. You probably wouldn't be happy with the first. The powerstroke is a completely different engine, block and all. It is a lot more reliable (Although they all have some probs with the crank position sensor, or CPS) The earlier ones were a higher compression, indirect injection, no computer, but they had electrolosis probs in the liners if you don't keep additive in the coolant. For my money, I'd go for the mid 90's powerstroke.

worm
05-21-2004, 05:25 AM
dont worry if the truck has over 100k miles.. the engine should last to 350k... god luck

AFTERMARKET
05-21-2004, 10:51 AM
I’m not sure if this has been posted as I just skimmed across the post.
The old 6.9L is non turboed and is a slug. You can find a 6.9 with a banks kit for something in your price range.

The 7.3 is the old 6.9 with a factory turbo.

worm
05-21-2004, 11:16 AM
my favorite website is www.dieselcentral.com watch the videos.. my buddy just ogt a 97 w/ a 8" skyjacker lift 37" boggers dual 3" pipes extended cab for 15.5 im sure you can find somin decent

Mr.Offroad
05-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by AFTERMARKET

The 7.3 is the old 6.9 with a factory turbo. Huh?:huh I have a 7.3 in my '89 that doesn't even have a turbo. The early IDI 7.3's are the same block as the 6.9's, but punched out a little bigger. That's why they get the cavitation (electrolosis) problem, as the liners are a little on the thin side, and when you work 'em real hard, they heat up and boil the coolant on the backside of the liners, causing cavitation. And I said earlier, the 7.3 powerstroke is a completely different block, heads, everything.

diesel-mech
05-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Inside advice

powerstokes use a caterpillar HUEI injection system. What ever year you get don't go over 5,000 miles on oil changes (no matter what type oil you use) and change your fuel filter at least every other oil change. If you do this you won't put out a ton of $$ for new injectors and huei pump! but it is a good engine.

Also I don't trust the d max! GM is triing to milk to much power from it! I haven't heard of one coming apart yet but I know diesels and this engine won't last long. thats just my opinion. If you want details of why I think this is true let me know.

Shawn H
05-22-2004, 10:23 AM
The reason Diesel mech is telling you not to go over 5000 miles is becasue your oil will breakdown and the dirtier it gets the worse your truck will run.

The injectors are oil pressure operated. there are so many people that come into our shop with there truck running poorly you tell them to just change the oil and 1/2 of them look at you like your nutz but thats all it needed.

Stay away from the older 6.9 and 7.3 engines make sure its at least a powerstroke version (computer operated.)

Ask for maintence records

diesel-mech
05-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
The reason Diesel mech is telling you not to go over 5000 miles is becasue your oil will breakdown and the dirtier it gets the worse your truck will run.

The injectors are oil pressure operated. there are so many people that come into our shop with there truck running poorly you tell them to just change the oil and 1/2 of them look at you like your nutz but thats all it needed.

Stay away from the older 6.9 and 7.3 engines make sure its at least a powerstroke version (computer operated.)

This is true because of metal particles present in the oil (Iron, Chrome,aluminum) cover the Injection actuation control valve which is electronically controlled. the metal conducts electricity and shorts out the valve.

I was referring to the tolerances in the pump and injectors though. in order to build 15,000psi injection pressure(oil) the tolerances most be perfect. Soot (what turns oil black) builds up in the oil, the oil is designed to brake up and disperse the soot. tHIS IS WHY YOU CAN CHANGE THE OIL IN A DIESEL, DRIVE 20 MILES AND ITS BLACK AGAIN. its suposed to turn black. but the oil can only handle so much soot before it becomes abrassive. at that point it acts like sand paper to the injectors and pump. most diesel engines can handle a lot of soot before wear starts but most diesel engines don't use a huei injection system. It is a very High performance injection system but it most be maintained very well to make it last. The injectors are close to $400 a peice. Do you want them to fail???

diesel-mech
05-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm

This is true because of metal particles present in the oil (Iron, Chrome,aluminum) cover the Injection actuation control valve which is electronically controlled. the metal conducts electricity and shorts out the valve.

I was referring to the tolerances in the pump and injectors though. in order to build 15,000psi injection pressure(oil) the tolerances most be perfect. Soot (what turns oil black) builds up in the oil, the oil is designed to brake up and disperse the soot. tHIS IS WHY YOU CAN CHANGE THE OIL IN A DIESEL, DRIVE 20 MILES AND ITS BLACK AGAIN. its suposed to turn black. but the oil can only handle so much soot before it becomes abrassive. at that point it acts like sand paper to the injectors and pump. most diesel engines can handle a lot of soot before wear starts but most diesel engines don't use a huei injection system. Oil level is very important too. High or low oil levels can airiate the oil, air compresses so you can't build the required pressure to inject the fuel. It is a very High performance injection system but it most be maintained very well to make it last. The injectors are close to $400 a peice. Do you want them to fail???

also oil never really brakes down. oil is oil and will stay oil. What happens is an additive package is add to the oil. different stuff is added for different applications. the additives only last so long. when the addivtives are used up you start burning oil. So the additives are what is "braking down" if you want to call it that.
...Just a little helpfull info if your interested:cool:

250rpilot
05-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Offroad
Huh?:huh I have a 7.3 in my '89 that doesn't even have a turbo. The early IDI 7.3's are the same block as the 6.9's, but punched out a little bigger. That's why they get the cavitation (electrolosis) problem, as the liners are a little on the thin side, and when you work 'em real hard, they heat up and boil the coolant on the backside of the liners, causing cavitation. And I said earlier, the 7.3 powerstroke is a completely different block, heads, everything.

there was ONE year (92?) that ford made a 7.3 IDI turbo, as an option. it was a complete POS. the next year the powerstrokes came out.

the old 6.9 and 7.3 were good motors, reliable too, just didnt have any power. the powerstroke is the way to go if you want a mid 90's diesel. the 6.2 chev's were slugs in that era.

another thing to watch out for, since you want a 5 speed, is the flywheel on the older powerstrokes. the springs would break in them, and the motor would shake like a mofo for no reason other than the 2 sections of the flywheel were vibrating back and forth. if it shakes alot, it probably needs a flywheel. if it let go too long, it can wipe out the thrust washers on the crank, and create knocking problems.

also, if the older (early-mid 90's) powerstrokes sat around and idled all day (jobsite trucks) the injectors would coke up from the oil being too cold, and the only way to fix that is to buy new injectors. that is why the newer PSD's will idle themselves up if the engine oil and/or ambient air temp is too cold.;)

05-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks a lot for all of the helpful advice and awesome websites. I have a lot of reading to do! From what I have read, I don't want to go older than 1994.5.

Diesel-mech, about the oil thing, 5K is where I change all of our vehicles. Gas or diesel. We also have an '04 D-max. I really like it, but I have heard bad things about it. I heard the earlier ones had problems with the aluminum heads, cracking and warping and such. Thanks for the pointers!

Much appreciated,
#77:macho

HoNdAdude48
05-24-2004, 05:04 PM
my 6.0's a piece of ****, its an 03'. i shouldve waited a couple of years before i got one. its an 03 fx4 f-250. the other day i was about 200 miles from home and the damn thing quit runnin, the fuel pump went out. its got more problems than that, it'll just be sittin there idling and it'll rev up by itself. yea, lol it'll go to like 3500 rpm. i took it to ford a while back & they tried to blame it on the lift & tires i have on it. yea i was pissed, so i took it to anouther ford dealership & they "fixed" the chip problem supposedly, but it still does it. its a peice of $hit.

so if anyone wants an 03 f250 fx4 with a 4 inch lift, pro comp 35's dual procomp shocks up front and procomp shocks out back than you can have it for 20,000 oh yea 150,000 miles.

diesel-mech
05-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by HoNdAdude48
my 6.0's a piece of ****, its an 03'. i shouldve waited a couple of years before i got one. its an 03 fx4 f-250. the other day i was about 200 miles from home and the damn thing quit runnin, the fuel pump went out. its got more problems than that, it'll just be sittin there idling and it'll rev up by itself. yea, lol it'll go to like 3500 rpm. i took it to ford a while back & they tried to blame it on the lift & tires i have on it. yea i was pissed, so i took it to anouther ford dealership & they "fixed" the chip problem supposedly, but it still does it. its a peice of $hit.

so if anyone wants an 03 f250 fx4 with a 4 inch lift, pro comp 35's dual procomp shocks up front and procomp shocks out back than you can have it for 20,000 oh yea 150,000 miles.

Go to an international truck dealer (case IH navistar) it is considered a navistar engine. Not many ford dealers have mech's with any experiance on this engine. the international truck dealers see it all the time in heavier model trucks but its the same engine. They will be of more help to you. Don't get to upset if they have trouble finding it. I run into problems with cats all the time that I really have to think about before I find the real problem. All I work on is the engines so I have a lot of experiance. I still get stumped
Good luck

TheWolf
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Spending around $12-15K then I would look for a 95-97 dodge cummins if you want a 5 speed. A non-computerized engine that you can build to whatever kind of power you want.
a very reliable engine just get the dowel pin killed before it gets you.(12v engines).
Looking for auto tranny then maybe stick with your ford, but a little more maintainance and harder to work on with the v8 engines in the fords.

cdalejef
05-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Powerstrokes came out in 94 and a half. I have a 97 F350 4x4 Powerstroke single axle. It is an awesome truck, we pull a 32' gooseneck to all the GNCC's and it pulls like a champ. It has 127,000 on the ticker and still running like new. I put a BullyDog 4 stage chip in and now it really rips.
Look to spend 12k to 17k on a nice 94.5 to 97 Powerstroke. You maybe able to find one cheaper in rough shape.

HoNdAdude48
05-27-2004, 03:33 PM
...or my 03 f-250 fx4 for $20,000. 4 inch lift & more...pm me

diesel-mech
05-27-2004, 05:42 PM
just for kicks...

I'm a dodge man myself but last year at the local fair grounds they were having vintage tractor pulls. that only lasted an hour so they let anyone with a 3/4 ton or larger pull if they wanted. Now sence it was mostly farmers there most of the trucks were stock powerstokes or cummins dodges. no big suprise that all the powerstokes pulled within a few feet of each other as with the dodges. there were also a couple 460 fords, a 360 dodge, a couple 350 gm, and one very bad 454 bow tie (I'm no gm fan either)
all the powerstrokes pulled about 280-285 feet
the cummins pulled about 210 to 220 feet
360 dodge 190 feet
350 gm 180-185 feet
one cummins with a banks kit and the fuel cranked pulled 285 feet
both 460 fords DNF (broken driveshaft and a major engine failer)
winner of the day was the 454 chevy at 300 feet and thats because they stopped him, he could have driven home!!!! He was impressive at 300 ft he was pulling as strong as he was at 150ft! no joke

I like the cummins engine but that was proof to me that a modified cummins is still only as strong as a stock powerstroke. It was a pretty fair compitition also, Most of them had all terrain tires, 4x4, same weight, same time of day (with in a couple hours)

just something to think about, I'm not triing to start an arguement, thats just how it turned out that day.:cool: