PDA

View Full Version : Air Screw Setting Question

mascman
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Guys!

I installed the 2" exhaust insert that is selling on Ebay. You basically remove the stock baffle and insert this piece...it's a flange with a 2" diameter pipe. Should be the same jetting requirements as someone with no baffle, so if you removed yours, what is your jetting?

I removed the cut-out on the stock air box lid so it's like the HRC.

I installed a 180 main and a 50 pilot. The needle is on the first position from the tip...raising the needle from stock.

I am not sure where to set the air screw. The quad runs good, but it is running rich. If I let it idle and then blip the throtle it will blow a little black smoke leading me to believe it's loading up. I think I have the air screw a little less than 1.5 turns out. Is that likely the cause?

How does the air screw work? Turn out to lean it or turn in to lean? I wasn't sure of this and i ran out of time to play with it.

Also, where do each of the jets come into play?
Pilot at 1/4 throttle...main at mid, etc?
Thanks!

onebad450r
05-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Turn it in to lean it out....Pilot jet----idle to 1/4 throttle.....Needle clip----1/4 to 3/4 throttle.....Main jet-----3/4 to full throttle

Just because you have black smoke when you blip the throttle does not mean that you are lean on the pilot circuit. I recomend that you do a full throttle plug chop to confirm the main jet size. Then work with the needle clip position, whichever clip position gives you the best results. Finally adjust the fuel screw, If it idles good, starts good when hot or cold and does not pop on deacceleration ( usually a sign that your lean) your close. Fine tuning the fuel screw will give you good throttle response from an idle to 1/4 throttle

29FTEX
05-20-2004, 06:42 PM
I thought turning it out leaned it??? Just like most other carbs, out is to lean, in is to richen.

roughrider01
05-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 29FTEX
I thought turning it out leaned it??? Just like most other carbs, out is to lean, in is to richen.

On two strokes turning out the screw leans it out, maybe your thinking of that.

mascman
05-21-2004, 02:17 AM
If I have to turn the air screw in less than one turn, does that mean my pilot is too big?

Is that necessarily a bad thing if it runs good even thought the screw is turned in?

thanks for all the help!

mascman
05-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, I just got back from messing with the air screw.

It is turned all the way in. Does this mean I need a smaller pilot?

Will moving the needle give me more adjustment in the air screw or does that have nothing to do with it?

This won't harm anything untill I can get the proper pilot will it? The idles is better and the black smoke is gone when I blip the throttle...it no longer seems like the carb is loading up.

mascman
05-21-2004, 09:33 PM
:confused:

lukester720
05-21-2004, 11:06 PM
The stock one is a 48, what did you do with it?

lukester720
05-21-2004, 11:08 PM
The stock one is a 48, what did you do with it? It should be fine to ride on just as long as its not too lean.

mascman
05-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Well, I actually drilled out the stock one to a 50. It looks like I'll have to get another stocker and try that.

The reason I drilled it out was because the shop didn't have any to fit the TRX carb.