PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Protege MP3

Smokin 440
05-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know anything about them, or proteges in general?
Im currently looking at buying one heres what it is

Its an mp3 so it has racing beat suspension including better tokiko struts and springs, heavier sway bars, and strut tower bars and also a different head unit and kenwood speakers from the factory... the extras include 18" rims, intercooled turbo kit(3 weeks old) a new exhaust, stage I clutch, and a different cam.

The car is a 2001 in excellent condition and only has 35,000 miles, and it has never seen winter. The guy wants $12,000 for it which is pretty close to blue book, but since he's my second cousin i could get it for $11,500 or maybe less, does it sound like a good deal or not?

I know it may be a little ricey or whatever, but i want a car for summer and well its fast and handles like its on rails, but any input is appreciated.. thanks

here are some pics of one, not the one im looking at but kinda similiar

MP3 (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/593390)

05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
even thoe it is ricey go for it;)

Bretmd94
05-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Those cars handle extremely well stock for the price of it. Screw people if they call it rice. That car is a very decent race car. It races in the same class as the M5 bmw and other much more expencive cars in a Touring series i watched on Speed.

As long as the motor is ready for that turbo charger I would get it. Is it the Mazdaspeed turbo kit, or after market? Just make sure the motor is made to handle the pressure. Otherwise its not going to last long.

Smokin 440
05-19-2004, 06:45 PM
The turbo is a t25 (the same as the mazdaspeed, but the piping and intercooling setup is better, as for boost its set at 4psi which should keep it pretty reliable...

jay's 300
05-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Go for it! They're pretty nice cars IMO. :D

rollie
05-19-2004, 07:30 PM
my sister just got a mazda 3.....pretty sweet

:)

Smokin 440
05-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Does anybody know anything about electronic boost controls, turbo timers, or piggyback ecu's for turbo setups? If you do could you tell me how some of the stuff works and which setups would work best, i have a general idea, but i always wanna learn more... Thanks

Smokin 440
05-21-2004, 07:35 AM
ttt

I drove the car and it was pretty awesome, but my dad didn't like it because it still need some minor work that would be done before i buy it. My dad's main point is the tanny shifts a lil hard(because of heavier forks or sincros that we put in it, and because of the clutch), but my dad doesn't think it will be a realiable car, even though there is nothing wrong with it.

He told me he would rather see me buy a new focus or something instead, which would be fine except it would cost me more, wouldn't be near as fun, i would want to modify it, and it holds the resale alot worse... And my main thing is there are alot more out there and they are just tooo common, where as there is only 1 car somewhat like the mp3 within 20 miles of my town...

What do u guys think i should do, i obviously still want the mp3, how can i prove it is going to be a reliable car?

MOFO
05-21-2004, 03:42 PM
you cannot prove its going to be a reliable car. Any car, especially imports, that are designed for lower power applications need MAJOR work to be a reliable car when you increase the power output... and even when all the proper work is done, you'll still probably run into problems down the road.

Your fathers point of a new focus is the fact that it is stock and doing what its designed to do from the factory, which "should" be more reliable...plus the fact it has a factory warrenty.... probably the biggest plus in his eyes.

You have to understand that your dad does not want you do buy this car then have the motor go or the tranny go...then you guys are stuck with the bill....its bad enough that a stock used car can be a risky buy...let alone a car that is fairly modified and the odds of something breaking due to excessive power are much greater.

Smokin 440
05-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Well i think the same tranny internals are also used in higher powered cars and he also had the tranny beefed up... and as far as reliability i know the risk is higher on a used car, but i know the owner and he has had zero problems with it, and i had been in the car multiple times while he had it so i just dont know what to tell my dad...

RMX500
05-21-2004, 04:01 PM
i say wait on the turbo setup and pop a T03 turbine in there rather than the T25.