PDA

View Full Version : 440 vs. 400

03-20-2002, 07:08 PM
My buddy has an 01' 440ex and I just bought a 02' 400 and it is about 2.5 bikes behind his, is that about right.

RAPTORAZ
03-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Assuming his only mod is a 440 kit. That's about right. Big bore kits don't add much by themselves. It takes a good camshaft to compliment them.

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 09:06 AM
Yeah it takes a good cam, port work, pipe, ETC ETC

400exRacerX
03-22-2002, 02:04 PM
It all depends on what you have. If yur gonna go big bore and high compression, then definatley get a good cam shaft. I can burn piped raptors with my 416 and xr400 cam.:p

RAPTORAZ
03-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
It all depends on what you have. If yur gonna go big bore and high compression, then definatley get a good cam shaft. I can burn piped raptors with my 416 and xr400 cam.:p

No flaming intended, but the piped Raptors you've burned have not been properly jetted. Because a properly tuned-piped Raptor would eat you for breakfast.

416EX = roughly 35 HP
Piped Raptor = roughly 45 HP

My slip-on piped Raptor kills my buddy's 440 XR cammed EX. And It's crushed many others similarly equipped. Like I said, no flaming intended as I absolutely LOVE my EX. If it were a 650EX, my Raptor would have been gone long ago.

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Sorry Rapazz your wrong. With my old 416 I was spanking every Raptor I lined up against. Drag Racing. You may be fond of a Craptor but it helps to know before you speak!

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Your buddies 440 must have been jetted wrong:D

DiceMan400
03-23-2002, 02:15 PM
A 416 done the right way will smoke a piped raptor no problem....... I have seen it more than a few times.....

ChadEXer
03-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by DiceMan400
A 416 done the right way will smoke a piped raptor no problem....... I have seen it more than a few times.....
AMEN:D I have DONE IT quite a few times!!!!!!!

03-23-2002, 05:33 PM
never raced a piped one, but mine 440 was mildly tuned and could whipp a stock one by a nice size margin

RAPTORAZ
03-23-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Sorry Rapazz your wrong. With my old 416 I was spanking every Raptor I lined up against. Drag Racing. You may be fond of a Craptor but it helps to know before you speak!

I wasn't trying to flame 400EX's. And as for knowing before I speak, I have done hundreds of drag races up Olds hill at Glamis. I have only been beat by one EX. And that was at the Four Stroke Wars. It was the Curtis Sparks bike that got me. Now if you are talking about 300 foot sand drags, then I could see your point. My 400EX would run right with my Raptor in that event. However in 300 foot sand drags, my Raptor just barely gets into 3rd gear. In longer drags where the Raptor can stretch its legs is where the EX's lose. Sorry EX guys those are the facts. Maybe you guys would like to meet at Glamis and prove me wrong. And as for Raptors being Craptors, mine is over a year old and has had ZERO problems.

DiceMan400
03-24-2002, 06:21 AM
Hey Raptoraz,
In the longer drags I can see what you mean, maybe....... But I have a buddy that has a 416 that smokes lots of raptors..... Not every time but more times than not....... And my 440, forget about it, I have not been beat by a raptor yet....... Dont get me wrong bro I love Raptors too...... No one can say they are crap but I just know what I have seen and done........ I dont know, maybe we got a different riding style out here on the east coast:D .......
I know even when my 400 was stock I was beating raptors on the track and that when winning counts to me........ I could care less about drag racing........ The real skills are needed on the MX...... J.M.O. I would love to come to Glaimes, not to prove you wrong but to ride with a fellow EXriders member And have a blast in those dunes...... Later

03-24-2002, 06:28 AM
well, il agree diceman, i wish i could go to the dunes and race wit all the exr's, or jus go on the turkey bay trip

ChadEXer
03-24-2002, 09:51 AM
I dont drag long runs like that so I dont know. I just know that for 660cc Raptors are SLOW

400exJOE
03-24-2002, 11:08 AM
well guys, i have a 10.5-1 compression 440, K&N, no airbox lid, supertrapp IDS2 slip-on and its jetted properly. It runs pretty strong, but how much difference would a cam make? Night and day? Is it worth the $150+ for one? Also, what cam? I want a drop in. I was thinking GT Thunder. I mostly play race and trail ride.

RAPTORAZ
03-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
well guys, i have a 10.5-1 compression 440, K&N, no airbox lid, supertrapp IDS2 slip-on and its jetted properly. It runs pretty strong, but how much difference would a cam make? Night and day? Is it worth the $150+ for one? Also, what cam? I want a drop in. I was thinking GT Thunder. I mostly play race and trail ride.

Yes a cam would be a night and day difference. My buddy has a GT Thunder cam in his 440. He loves it. It has lots of mid-top power.

03-24-2002, 02:40 PM
hey im not trying to rag on the 400 at all cause its a great machine but it does only do about 26 hp stock and if you look in the dirtwheels raptor pipe shootout they did recently, youll see that a piped raptor can at the most do almost 50 hp.

DiceMan400
03-24-2002, 09:03 PM
A stock Raptor puts out about 42 HP.......... You mean to tell me that just putting a pipe on a Raptor will put out 8 HP....... Cant happen...... Like I said the track is where you separate the men from the boys...... (or at the dunes) A Raptor is not nearly as nimble on the track as an EX...... If you put the right rider on a stock EX he or she will hurt a Raptor riders feelings...... Like I said I love Raptors allmost as much as I love Exs but they are lacking in the handling area and 660ccs aint makin up for it....... The 400 may not have the CCs but the handling is way better and remember its alot cheaper to mod an engine than it is to extend swing arms A arms and get top of the line supention to improve handling......

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 07:28 AM
Horsepower dont nessisarily matter either. I know of 4 cylinder than will smoke the he!! out of a v-8 with twice as much horses. My 416 I used to have (probably roughly 32-35 horses) would SMOKE a piped and jetted Raptor. On a drag strip(not a track) A STOCK Raptor has more horses than a 400 with a 416 kit. Power to weight ratio and handling are the number 1 things.

03-25-2002, 09:34 AM
SURELY YOU ARE NOT RUNNING THAT BIG BORE KIT WITH A QUIET CORE INSERT IN THE SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST. BUY A RACE CORE AND REALLY EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE. AND I JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

RAPTORAZ
03-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Horsepower dont nessisarily matter either. I know of 4 cylinder than will smoke the he!! out of a v-8 with twice as much horses. My 416 I used to have (probably roughly 32-35 horses) would SMOKE a piped and jetted Raptor. On a drag strip(not a track) A STOCK Raptor has more horses than a 400 with a 416 kit. Power to weight ratio and handling are the number 1 things.

Well, you are correct about one thing. Horsepower is not everthing. Torque is everything. That is why a larger cubic inch engine, given the same weight and traction, will beat a smaller cubic inch engine every time. That is also why a boosted engine, either mechanically(turbo,supercharger) or chemically(nitrous oxide), will beat a naturally aspirated engine with the same power. A boosted engine will make more power throughout the R.P.M. band than a naturally aspirated engine will. Kinda blows your whole 4 cylinder versus V8 theory right out of the water.

ChadEXer
03-26-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ

Well, you are correct about one thing. Horsepower is not everthing. Torque is everything. That is why a larger cubic inch engine, given the same weight and traction, will beat a smaller cubic inch engine every time. That is also why a boosted engine, either mechanically(turbo,supercharger) or chemically(nitrous oxide), will beat a naturally aspirated engine with the same power. A boosted engine will make more power throughout the R.P.M. band than a naturally aspirated engine will. Kinda blows your whole 4 cylinder versus V8 theory right out of the water.
If I was smart as you I would get my dumb *** off these forums and get a job making more than my lousy $2000 a week:D

trx400ex
03-26-2002, 08:27 AM
are you sure a raptor puts out 42HP stock? i was thinking the true readings were coming out at about 35 to 37.............

RAPTORAZ
03-26-2002, 07:27 PM

If I was smart as you I would get my dumb *** off these forums and get a job making more than my lousy $2000 a week:D

Congratulations, you just put a price on ignorance.:p

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ

Congratulations, you just put a price on ignorance.:p
Im rolling in the floor:rolleyes: Im ignorant thats why I was a straight A student in school and make more $$ in a week then you make in a month right???

03-27-2002, 08:05 AM
Play nice guys...:devil

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Fuggin smart arse bishes:D

03-27-2002, 01:02 PM
the 42hp number for the stock raptor is wrong. The pipe shootout in dirt wheels shows about roughy 35 horses, and with the ct sonic pipe the raptor did like 48.9 horses. I know that power isnt everything but compared to the 26 on the stock ex that is a big increase. Also, if you look in the recent high-perf shootout, they did track testing, and the 400s times were all above the raptors.

03-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Yeah there's already been a debate about the raptor pipe shoot-out and most all people aren't buyin the 13 or 15 HP power increase with a pipe and airbox mod,,,I'm not believing until I see it..I love dirtwheels mag but sometimes I think they add a little exry to there reviews,,when cerain people throw more money there way,,,cough cough,,,ct racing, Cuz I do beleive all those test were done at CT racing's shop, and for some odd reason CT racing got the best review,,,,hmmmm,,makes ya wonder huh..:huh

RAPTORAZ
03-27-2002, 08:20 PM

Im rolling in the floor:rolleyes: Im ignorant thats why I was a straight A student in school and make more $$ in a week then you make in a month right???

What I make is none of your business. However it's a helluva lot more than you think. The toy list in my signature (and I didn't list them all) should probably give you a clue. Oops, I forgot, you have no clue.:D

03-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Hmm. Maybe the gearing of the two bikes has somehting to do with it?
Just my two cents.

kaneman23
03-27-2002, 08:59 PM

ChadEXer
03-28-2002, 08:30 AM
You are right and I am sorry. Rapazz started pissin me off and I started to get crazy on him. I will just ignore ignorance
Sorry
Chad

kaneman23
03-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Thats cool man, I just don't want you getting pissed at me for saying something like that to you and I should have PM'ed you instead of putting it on the board. Thanks for being cool man... Justin

BTW, I took it off the board, it shouldn't have been put on here..

ChadEXer
03-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Thats OK and I totally understand your point. I shouldnt be doing that. its just that Im kind of proud being the way that I was raised and all, and being able to do something with my life and even help my mom out who has struggled her whole life to to keep a roof over all the kids heads. Sorry
Chad

RAPTORAZ
03-28-2002, 07:42 PM
You are right and I am sorry. Rapazz started pissin me off and I started to get crazy on him. I will just ignore ignorance
Sorry
Chad

Just had to get in one last jab didn't ya? That's okay. I'll let this banter die from here. Since I obviously have you out-matched in intelligence.
RAPTORAZ

kaneman23
03-28-2002, 09:45 PM
Hey man, I am glad your are making it great in life as well. I love it when people go out and bust their *** to improve the way they live. Most others would have layed down, stayed poor, and made excuses in your shoes. I am the first person to go to college in my family and I have a great job as well. Not as great as yours...lol.. But its very good... I work in the Pentagon as a System Engineer supporting OSD(offices of the secretary of defense). I actually feel proud to work there because I am serving my country in a way. Well man, I will talk to you later,
Justin

JOEX
03-28-2002, 10:13 PM
After reading this thread I see everyone talking about horsepower, torque, cc's,...this quad beat that quad etc....

The other major factor that hasn't been mentioned is the RIDER. All that HP and torque doesn't do much good if you don't know how to use it. Not that i'm any good...i'm still a rookie rider:p

Joe

ChadEXer
03-29-2002, 07:19 AM
It sounds like you have a pretty cool job too! I was the first in my family to make it past the 9th grade!!! Were you in the pentagon when that plane hit it??

kaneman23
03-29-2002, 10:42 AM
I was supposed to have been here when the plane hit but I over slept, and I was a couple of miles away when it happened. My wife usually works across the street from the Pentagon in Crystal City but she was in meeting out in Reston that day. She called me up and told me a plane had hit and not to go to work, so I turned around and called everyone at work to make sure they were safe. Everyone in my company (only 24) made it out safe. But the plane hit less then 100yds from our office. Scary as ****. I almost left this job for another one because of it...
but I decided, I was going to let them *******s chase me away from my job. God, was definately with my family and coworkers that day.

ChadEXer
03-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Man thats just crazy!! im glad you werent there!!

velociraptor
03-30-2002, 07:29 AM
Be honest you really can't think that your 416 would beat a STOCK RAPTOR!!!! The only way was you could of would have to be driver experiance---- I raced a 440 when my Raptor was completely stock and yes the guy beat me only And I say ONLY because I wheelied in 1st and 2nd but I still caught him at the 200 foot mark like he was standing still. I will have to admit that the 440 is agreat improvement over the 400 but I still have a hard time believeing that. Raptorraz can you believe this? I'm not knocking on the 400 they are great bikes from the start, they handle great are extremey reliable and run great to but come on man there is no comparison in a drag race. I could see on a mx track or inthe woods but then again that would come down to riders. :devil :devil NO hard feelings but this is just what I believe

ChadEXer
04-02-2002, 08:19 AM
Do you even have a quad:rolleyes: