PDA

View Full Version : removing swingarm

cals400ex
05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
alright well i already know how much of a pita this is. i beat on it a little bit and didn't get anywhere. i decided to beat on it a little more and surprisingly the bolt is moving. it isn't hung up in the back of the engine or the swingarm itself. however, the bolt isn't coming out of the right side of the frame. i don't know if it usually gets caught there too or what. i can clearly see the bolt moving a couple mm's but it isn't coming out of the right side of the frame. i assume that is the only way it could come out unless i cut it. any suggestions here?

speedy400
05-19-2004, 04:50 PM
unless the thing your beating to hit the swinger bolt(assuming your talking about the swing arm bolt) is cought up on something, you shouldnt be having any problem, I cant think why it would come loose a little bit, then stop... yes the only other way is to cut it out (PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!!). Maybe spray some wd-40 in there and see if that helps. good luck-darren

Rescueme
05-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Had the same situation just a month ago. Tried everything, WD40, PB, Sledge. I too, was commited to getting that dern thing outta there. Finally resorted to this:
1. Put quad on side.
2. Rent a 60 LBS. electric jack hammer.
3. Go at it.

This worked for me. Within a minute it started to drive the bolt through. As soon as the pivot bolt is flush with the frame you will need to get another bolt (slightly less in diameter than the pivot bolt), drill a starter hole in the head so you can put the point of the jack hammer in it, and continue to drive it through.If this doesn't work the next step is to cut it off. The only problem with that is you still have all the pieces that are stuck still in the swing arm. Good luck!

cals400ex
05-20-2004, 01:42 AM
well, i have been using pb on it. the swing arm bolt seems to be moving thru the swingarm and rear of the engine fine. i still think it is getting caught or hung up on the right side of the frame. who knows. i will beat on it more tomorrow unless i can think of something else.

05-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the swing arm bolt seems to be moving thru the swingarm and rear of the engine fine.

Do you mean turning or actually coming out??

If there siezed they'll turn just fine it's the removing it that is the problem.

y2k400ex
05-20-2004, 09:45 AM
most likely its seized inside the bushing. when you are hitting the bolt its just moving until the bushing hits the frame. I could turn my bolt with a 3/8 ratchet, I had to cut mine out...

Heres where is probably seized this will give you a better idea of what your working with.

cals400ex
05-20-2004, 07:31 PM
well its not coming out. i know it is turning though. i have a feeling it is the bushing. well crap. thats not what i wanted to hear. :grr:

4wheelboy
05-20-2004, 07:49 PM
maby u could try heating the swingarm with a tourch then beating the shat out of the bolt?:confused:

IL400EX
05-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Lots of info on the thread "Can't get Swingarm off 400EX"