PDA

View Full Version : 250r fuel mixture

papaplayedbase
05-19-2004, 04:34 PM
hi i recently traded for a 86 honda 250r. i'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the stock carb on it. not sure of the jet size either. It has no air box lid. I was wondering what i should start out as a fuel mixture and be on the safe side. I have klotz oil it says 32:1. Is this safe and how lean can i go with the klotz ans be safe with the engine. also pretty sure the engine is not stock bore. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

310Rduner
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by papaplayedbase
hi i recently traded for a 86 honda 250r. i'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the stock carb on it. not sure of the jet size either. It has no air box lid. I was wondering what i should start out as a fuel mixture and be on the safe side. I have klotz oil it says 32:1. Is this safe and how lean can i go with the klotz ans be safe with the engine. also pretty sure the engine is not stock bore. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

You'll be fine at 32:1, that's what tons of people mix at. You can go to 40:1 without problem as long as it doesn't start to show lean. To find out what size the engine bore is, drain the radiator fluid and pop off the head. You may have to scratch off some carbon very carefully (don't go deep and scratch the actual metal of the piston) but you should be able to see a piston size on the top of the piston.

wilkin250r
05-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Many people I know go up to 50:1.

Less oil will actually richen your jetting. Not much, just a tad. Less oil means the gas is lighter, so it get's pulled through the carb easier, resulting in more fuel in your intake. More oil, gas is heavier, your jetting runs lean.

310Rduner
05-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Many people I know go up to 50:1.

Less oil will actually richen your jetting. Not much, just a tad. Less oil means the gas is lighter, so it get's pulled through the carb easier, resulting in more fuel in your intake. More oil, gas is heavier, your jetting runs lean.

What difference does there have to be before you see an effect though, and how dramatic an effect on the plug from 32:1, to 40:1? I've never known this, so im interested to see how I can further tune my mixing..

Most of the people I know stick to no less than 40:1 with klotz supertechniplate, but you can easily go less with amsoil because of how well it lubricates.

papaplayedbase, don't try going automatically to 50:1 though with normal premix.. try 32:1 to start and see how it runs, then if its not perfect try 40:1. The oil is designed to lubricate the motor, so if you go with too little oil you can overheat and fry/blow your motor.

papaplayedbase
05-19-2004, 07:25 PM
thanks so much guys all your input has taught me alot. i don't really know a lot about 2 strokes ...all i've ever riddend is 4. all i know is that that throttle response and power is something that i'm gonna like getting used to. Also should i look for an air box lid. My thought is the k&n with outterwear is fine. Any thoughts?????? Thanks

310Rduner
05-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by papaplayedbase
thanks so much guys all your input has taught me alot. i don't really know a lot about 2 strokes ...all i've ever riddend is 4. all i know is that that throttle response and power is something that i'm gonna like getting used to. Also should i look for an air box lid. My thought is the k&n with outterwear is fine. Any thoughts?????? Thanks

Unless you ride in constant dust and extremely fine silt or something you'll be fine with k&n w/outerwears. Just clean them VERY regularly, and oil the filter and outerwear really well. A couple bucks for oil to keep them well covered will go a long way to a healthier engine