PDA

View Full Version : Please help, my 300ex wont start!!!

mc1984
05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Ok heres the deal. Last night my 300ex wouldnt start. I managed to get it push started and I figured the battery was dead from sitting. Well tonight it wouldnt start again! The starter solenoid would just click/buzz. I charged up the battery and according to my volt meter had plenty of volts. I went to start it and the same thing, the solenoid would just click/ buzz. I tried the starter button a couple of times. Sometimes it would turn over and then all of a sudden it would jsut cut out and the solenoid would buzz/click. I am not sure what my problem is. If I could get it started I could see if it was charging or not. Do you think the solenoid is bad, bad ground, what do you think? There could be many different possibilities. I am just not sure which one is right. Thanks in advance for your time. I appreciate it!
Mike

roostin_dale
05-18-2004, 09:28 PM
did you check your main fuse? Look in your owners manual to locate it...

hondarider2006
05-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Check all of your connections, sounds like you have a bad ground;)

TeamTaylorRace
05-19-2004, 07:08 AM
check the connections on your battery

dirtmomma
05-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Mine did the same thing & I had my battery tested it tested good BUT I bought another one & it fired RIGHT up :D mihgt wanna try that!! Battery just might not have enough juice to turn it all the way over!

TeamTaylorRace
05-19-2004, 09:07 AM
I had the same thing happen to me as what happened to dirtmamma.

jjthekj
05-19-2004, 10:35 AM
I was surprized to find a replacement battery in the automotive section of my local Wal Mart for around $50. You may want to bring your stock one with you for a core return and to eyeball it's compatability. The new battery should come with new fasteners, but save your old ones for back up. That little bolt and nut combo are tricky to duplicate, if you lose the stock ones. The new battery must also be charged up prior to install.
I believe there is only one fuse on the entire machine and I don't think your quad would run at all if it was blown. If your motor runs and lghts work while it's running, youve got spark from the stator. Which points me towards the battery / starter, or poor connection between the 2.
Cleaning & checking your connections is free, so start there.
Let us know how it turns out.

Del-rider
05-20-2004, 07:46 AM
This happened to me to. For me it was my battery. WHen it buzzes ur electrical connections should be in tack. IF the battery is good then check your fuse. It is located under ur seet. Take it out and if the metal is not connected then u have a bad fuse and you need to replace it. Most quads come with spares

dirtmomma
05-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by jjthekj
I was surprized to find a replacement battery in the automotive section of my local Wal Mart for around $50. You may want to bring your stock one with you for a core return and to eyeball it's compatability. The new battery should come with new fasteners, but save your old ones for back up. That little bolt and nut combo are tricky to duplicate, if you lose the stock ones. The new battery must also be charged up prior to install.
I believe there is only one fuse on the entire machine and I don't think your quad would run at all if it was blown. If your motor runs and lghts work while it's running, youve got spark from the stator. Which points me towards the battery / starter, or poor connection between the 2.
Cleaning & checking your connections is free, so start there.
Let us know how it turns out.
I haven't heard good things about the WalMart batteries :( I would find a battery store ie. Pacific Power or something like that, they are usually cheaper than $50 there also ;) but if ya dont' have one I guess do what ya gotta do to get it back up & running!!

rooster300ex
05-20-2004, 04:31 PM
if the fuse is blown it won't do nothing at all. its just a bad connection or bad selonoid

mc1984
05-20-2004, 10:38 PM
I think I got it guys, I'll have to wait to find out though. I cleaned the battery connections and charged the battery. I checked it with a voltmeter and it is definitely charging. I had like 14 volts at idle! I have also been checking it with a voltmeter to see if it is losing its charge. I'll have to see if it starts after a couple of days of sitting.
Thanks alot guys!!!!

rooster300ex
05-21-2004, 05:06 PM
hell yea. the ex is alive again.lol

PF300ex
05-29-2004, 04:29 PM
I just had the same problem today. All I had to do was disconnect the cables and clean the connections and it fired right up.