PDA

View Full Version : Please help, my 300ex wont start

mc1984
05-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Ok hers the deal. Last night my 300ex wouldnt start. I managed to get it push started and I figured the battery was dead from sitting. Well tonight it wouldnt start again! The starter solenoid would just click/buzz. I charged up the battery and according to my volt meter had plenty of volts. I went to start it and the same thing, the solenoid would just click/ buzz. I tried the starter button a couple of times. Sometimes it would turn over and then all of a sudden it would jsut cut out and the solenoid would buzz/click. I am not sure what my problem is. If I could get it started I could see if it was charging or not. Do you think the solenoid is bad, bad ground, what do you think? There could be many different possibilities. I am just not sure which one is right. Thanks in advance for your time. I appreciate it!
Mike

exkid04
05-21-2004, 12:25 AM
get a little hammer and tap on the starter then try starting it again because the brushes are sticking and if that doesnt work your starter is bad

sbexrider4life
05-21-2004, 08:01 AM
i think your battery stilldoesnt have enough charge even though ur charger says it does
try hooking the charger up to the battery on the quad and then starting it if that doesnt work then it is probably ur brushes stickin

haywire4130
05-23-2004, 12:54 AM
it's not either of these things. disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery and the solenoid. take a small wire brush or some scotch brite and clean all the crud off the terminals. now take a little dielectric grease (available at auto parts stores, they use it for spark plug caps) and smear a thin coating on the terminal on the solenoid and battery and bolt it back together. do the same for the ground cable where it attaches to the frame, you may have to sand off a little rust. also be sure to inspect the ground cable itself, they have been known to corrode away. if it's not this, push start the machine and let it idle in neutral. take the volt meter and connect it to the battery. watch the reading while revving it up. it should go up to about 13.9 or so, if not, you have a charging problem. p.m. me and let me know if this fixes it- good luck