PDA

View Full Version : How can you find out if you have jeted correctly??

400exBro
08-25-2001, 03:39 PM
I just installed a 160 main and 3rd grove with a WB pipe and K&N filter and every thing runs fine but i want to know how can you tell if its correct not that i amde a mistake nad don't notice it?????
Thanks
400exBro

knighttime
08-25-2001, 08:18 PM
Awesome freekin question. While I was searching the internet for a tachometer (which I haven't bought yet), I saw a device that you put by your exhaust exit hole. It analyzes the exhaust gases to tell you how lean or rich you are running. I hope to find out where to buy this cool tool.

08-25-2001, 08:37 PM
Let me know if you find out where to get this tool, plug checks are fierce
with how deep the plug sits in the motor. Some one said that a shop would have this device to check it for you. Has anyone ever used one before, and where at?
John

400exRacerX
08-25-2001, 10:03 PM
just snug the plug and check it, also you can tell by many things. like if its boggs its to rich. or if the engine is hotter then normal its lean, backfiring its lean. black smoke its rich, theres alot of things u can do

Leo
08-26-2001, 06:47 AM
you can pick up a single wire O2 sensor for around ~$10..

you can read it with a volt meter..

0V = High Oxygen (lean)
.9 - 1.0V = Low Oxygen (rich)

The tough part would be mounting it in the headpipe, as they don't work the greatest until they are up to 500 degrees or so...

Leo

MOFO
08-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Ok, Leo...you just gave me an idea.

If I were to make a circuit that boosted those voltage levels so they would light up leds....(which would not be hard at all), then we could have a "real time" air/fuel gauge.....Hmmmm :)

Eric

400exBro
08-27-2001, 03:13 PM
How can you tell if your enigne is running coller than stock????

MOFO
08-27-2001, 03:17 PM
Ok, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can just tell by looking at your head pipe (as long as it is clean :) ) If it is dark blue, its running hot (lean)...if it is dark brown you are running cooler (rich). If its a nice shade of golden brown, its running good.

Anyone else here of this? A guy I ride with that used to race ALOT when he was younger said this is what alot of the racers did back in the day...(mid 80's).

The other way of finding out is to do the plug check...warm the bike up until you are off the choke circuit then pull the plug for each throttle range. If it is white or very light in color, you are lean (hot) and if its black and wet you are rich (cooler)....again, look for a nice shade of golden brown...

Eric

knighttime
08-28-2001, 07:16 AM
Yeah, checking the pipe is a great well to see how you are jetted. I did hear that gasoline additives have made plug reading less reliable.:huh

08-28-2001, 07:25 AM
Correct jetting is a hard thing to master.. My bike runs great,,no backfiring, no bogging ,starts great, but my header pipe over 8 months of riding is starting to slightly turn blue,,I don't know if I should just leave well enough alone, or If I should start making changes to the jetting.. I'll probably leave it alone until I put a new cam and piston in it and then fool with it.. what would you guys do???

knighttime
08-28-2001, 07:39 AM
I would up your pilot and main jet. It sounds like your quad runs awesome, but maybe just a hair hot. Up the jets and cool that mofo down a little.

MOFO
08-28-2001, 09:18 AM
Yea I would try a very small increase in your jet sizes. When I was talking about the head pipe turning colors, if its really bad either way, it should change that color in one race/ride. If it took 8 months to turn that color, I wouldnt worry too much about it. A bike that is running slightly lean does run very well compared to a bike that is running rich (performance).

Either way, if that is your only sign, try the jets but dont loose too much sleep over it ;) I would also wait until you mod your engine because you will have to tweak your jets after the cam and piston anyways...

Eric

08-28-2001, 09:34 AM
Boy yous guys is swell..:D :D :D

400exBro
08-28-2001, 03:03 PM
hey guys thanks for your help, but Rico what do you mean by the bike starts well (need to pull choke, press starter botton a couple of times etc..) right now the bike starts way better than it did before(all stock) and was wondering if you can just hit the botton and she fires up????
Also can you tell the diff between the poping(back firing) and the sucktion of the pipe on declaration???
Thanks guys