PDA

View Full Version : 99? Ford mustang brakes.

Ralph
05-18-2004, 06:58 PM
my sisters mustangf has horribly screaching brakes. it drives her nutz and then she drives me nutz.

She thinks that after she pumps the pedal a few times the schreeching goes away.

i dont make much sense out of her theory and she has had a guy do them 3 times to fix it but the douche never got it. Do u think expensive breakpads would do the trick? how hard are they to change. anything lkike a ranger because rangers pads are easy to change.

also is there any sense in what she thinks? maybe she needs new brakefluid nut that doesnt make sense to me/...

anyone???

marksuttonjr
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Mustangs were bad about break noise, so if it's only doing it when you hit the breaks and the pads look go just ignore the noise.

If you think that you have to mess with them. here are a few ideas.

Do not use aftermarket pads!!
Use only Motorcraft pads. they were the quietest pads on these cars.

Turn the rotors.
Usualy if you turn the rotors when you put new pads on the noise isn't too bad. Maybe this guy didn't turn them.

Ralph
05-19-2004, 05:01 AM
thx

Shawn H
05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
A lot of times brakes screech because your caliper slides are hanging up.

make sure they are well lubed and get the quite disc lube chit for the pads if they dont have the plastic or some sort of slippery surface on the backs where pad contacts the calipers and mounts. Dont use never seize either it swells the rubber.

I work at a Ford dealership and do brakes almost everyday they should not squeal.

Ralph
05-19-2004, 12:52 PM
any details on the lubes, im not too experienced but i can figure out just about anything

MOFO
05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
well I can tell ya, DONT GET BENDIX pads. I just did rotors and pads on my 99 Silverado.... damn pads are noisy!!

After I put them on, I found out from other guys they are known to be noisy.... they might be coming back off very soon...I cant stand it!

MOFO
05-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
any details on the lubes, im not too experienced but i can figure out just about anything

when you take the pads off, you'll see the "slides" where they mount on the caliper...they will slide back and forth. Make sure you get some good lube from the store for doing breaks (its silicon based I think)....then lube the crap out of those slides when putting the pads on.

Ralph
05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
thx mofo