PDA

View Full Version : Stock Air Screw Setting

03-20-2002, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know how many turns out the stock air screw should be. My bike was running entirely to rich so i tried to adjust it. Now I have it all fubar. the bike is completly stock except I removed the baffel out of the pipe. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 05:34 PM
2 AND A HALF turns out, but why is it rich? The airscrew only effects idle mixture,if it is rich above idle it is the pilot/needle or the main or both. What mods do you have other then the baffle? What has been done to the carb or airbox?
Oh yeah,it is a 400 ex right?

03-20-2002, 05:40 PM
yeah it's a 400 i have no idea why it is too rich. It's the biggest piece of crap i ever bought. The air screw is the one located behind the idle right. It's bone Stock. Nothing was evr done to the bike.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 05:45 PM
If it is bone stock and is running rich,you have an air restriction ala clogged air filter or overoiled air filter.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 05:46 PM
Also what symptoms lead you to think it is rich?

03-20-2002, 05:50 PM
i was having trouble with getting the thing started. It kept filin plugs. And after running the plg is black.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 05:54 PM
If you bought it used,clean the filter first,but if you bought it used ,pull the carb and see what jets are in it,should be a 38 pilot and 138-148 main. The main is the one inside the plug in the bottom of the carb.

03-20-2002, 05:58 PM
i bought it brand new. I never ride the thing becouse i usually can never get it to start. It's only like 8 months old. i've been readin other posts about guys putting a 40 pilot jet in and they start alot easier. i'm thinkin about trying it. I don't want to take this thing to the dealer again the will tell me just change the plus. after 4 trips there and that's all i get i'm about to get rid of the thing.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Nobody believes this but I will tell you how I start mine.DONT use the choke.Pump the gas 5 times,hit the button,as soon as it fires just crack the throttle,it should be running smooth just above idle,hold it there for 30 seconds and you are good. Try it! But I say clean your filter, it aint gotta be dirty,too much oil will do just as much as dirt to make the thing run crappy.

03-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Hey thanx For everything madcapex. I will put the air screw back. And give your method a try. can't hurt any.

SUPERFLY 400
03-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Are you sure your adjusting your air screw and not turning out your carb drain screw. Just asking because you said the air (pilot) screw was next to the idle screw. Its not. Your pilot adusting screw is under your carb. in the damnest spot. Because your starter is in the way while trying to turn the screw with a screwdriver. It sucks. Also how do you know its burning rich. you may have bad fuel or something with operator error, being your 400 is brand new.:devil