PDA

View Full Version : Bearing replacement

outofsight
05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Im replacing the axle bearings on my ex right now. I got the inner axle locknut off but the outside locknut wont come off. What could i do to make it come off easier?

LTandRaptorider
05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by outofsight
Im replacing the axle bearings on my ex right now. I got the inner axle locknut off but the outside locknut wont come off. What could i do to make it come off easier?

I don't have an EX... but isn't the inner nut, the one against the hub, a left hand thread?:confused:

400exmom
05-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by outofsight
Im replacing the axle bearings on my ex right now. I got the inner axle locknut off but the outside locknut wont come off. What could i do to make it come off easier? you have to turn it in toward the brake rotor and take off the ring that holds it in then it will come off:)

SRH
05-18-2004, 03:41 PM
i think they have revere threads too, i remember i actually had to cut my stock axle nut off my 400ex it was so seized on...

jjthekj
05-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Remove the chain. On the brake side of the axle, remove the wheel & hub. Remove the caliper from the brake stay. Turn the locknut (about 3/8 thick nut between carrier & outer nut) lefty tighty (reverse thread) so that it screws in toward the carrier. Now do the same with the big nut (outer). Screwing these nuts toward the carrier will expose a retainer ring outside the outer nut. Remove it, and the c-clip that holds down the brake stay. I'm pretty sure the whole thing will slide right out from there. If it feels like it's hanging up on something, turn the carrier (as if adjusting the chain tension).
Once youve taken it apart you'll see that the retainer ring on the axle is just a stop for the nut (as you turn it righty loosey to reassemble) to pull the sprocket side into the carrier, and in turn hold both sides fast once the locknut is set.
Removing the bearings from the carrier is your next obstacle, good luck.

outofsight
05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the help yall