PDA

View Full Version : are extended swingarms worth it?

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 12:37 AM
i have been looking at a houser extended 1.25 swinger. i didn't know if they were really worth it or not. i mainly would like to keep the front on the ground a little better for the starts. i don't know much about houser or the quality either???

also, i know a new chain would be needed but i don't want to add a ton of extra weight or a chain much longer that would add to the rotating mass and slow me down for drag racing.

TC426EX
05-18-2004, 07:46 AM
I dont know how much motor work you have had done, but when I got my motor kit put in from Tom Carlson, adding the +1.25 swingarm was MANDATORY. If you do addd that it is good to run +! forward a-arms to keep the weight distribution even in the air. I was able to punch the throttle and stand the front end up in any gear and when I added the swingarm and a arms my bike stays WAY more planted on starts. and out of corners. As far as houser quality, they are right up there with everything else like laeger and LSR. I see alot of people running houser at the track and on race day and I know alot of people are happy with them. Houser is good quality stuff and you shouldnt have a prob with that swingarm.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 02:02 PM
it will go on a 11:1 426, stage 2 hotcam, fcr, x-6, etc.

i am thinking really hard on this one. :D

K_Fulk
05-18-2004, 03:10 PM
I knew I needed an extended swingarm after I got my first 440 done. Everytime I went in the woods a tree would jump in front of me. After i got my extended swingarm they quit jumping out in front of me as much.:confused: :D

Plus they work awesome if you like hillclimbing.

BeltSlipper
05-18-2004, 07:10 PM
It won't slow ya down in drag racing. I will actually help ya. If your running 300ex shocks up front and a strut in back. This will help you with weight transfer.

(And if you need a wheelie bar for your 400ex, I have one for sale)

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 09:48 PM
well i just tried to get the swingarm bolt off and it was a no-go. the nut came right off. i put the impact on the other side and with 60psi in the tank it wouldn't move. i decided to crank it up to 170. well that just shreaded the nut. so, i am not sure how to get this thing off with the tools i have.

Quadworks
05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a +4 Lone Star swingarm on my 400 and I love it. Quality is great. Price is about the same as the rest. Works awesome on hills!!

BeltSlipper
05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
spray some WD-40 on the bolt, using the same red tube that comes with the can. Then take a small brass punch and tap it out. If you have the Quad up on an ATV jack, with the swing arm held up off the ground. There will be no binding on the bolt. You should be able to tap it out with little effort.
Hope this helps.

redrunner
05-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
so, i am not sure how to get this thing off with the tools i have.

Youv've read enough posts about this, I think you know the story. Man am I glad i took mine off last year and greased it. It only takes like 10 min. Good Luck

cals400ex
05-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Youv've read enough posts about this, I think you know the story. Man am I glad i took mine off last year and greased it. It only takes like 10 min. Good Luck

yeah, i know the story.

glad it only took 10 minutes for you. i wish i knew about this 3 years ago.