PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coating

keepitpinned
05-17-2004, 09:53 PM
im getting the sparks x-6 exhaust. i want to get ceramic but, i dont want it to chip with a power washer. will the exhaust chip?

K_Fulk
05-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I would be more worried about it rusting than chiping. Mines at least a couple years old and still looks pretty decent being ceramic.

quadmx7
05-17-2004, 10:43 PM
i just bought the x-6 stainless steel because i was worried about it rusting and chipping. my ceremic CT is chipping and my cosuin's CT ceremic rotted out and i think another guy on here who had a ceremic sparks had trouble with it rusting or rotting i cant remeber which. so i bought a stainless steel from c&d racing for $480 which is less than what sparks wants for the cermeic.

K_Fulk
05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
If I got another one I would buy the stainless and get it ceramic coated. You would have the best of both worlds then.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
If I got another one I would buy the stainless and get it ceramic coated. You would have the best of both worlds then.

yes, this is what i am going to do. i have the stainless right now and i plan on getting it coated.

my friend has the ceramic and it rusts pretty bad and he isn't that hard on his stuff. by the way, his pipe is less than a 1/2 year old.

K_Fulk
05-18-2004, 11:58 AM
There coating must not be very consistant. Mine is a couple years old and still looks pretty good. I'm just gonna run it till its shot. Then go the route your going.

keepitpinned
05-19-2004, 02:03 PM
where could i get ceramic coating done? should i do the whole exhaust? can it be done inside the exhaust?

outofsight
05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Biggun has it inside their exhaust.

cals400ex
05-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by keepitpinned
where could i get ceramic coating done? should i do the whole exhaust? can it be done inside the exhaust?

i would send it to jet hot coating. they can do inside and out. sometimes they can't do it on the inside of the silencers if the aluminum is too thin. i believe they let it bake at 500 or 600 degrees and that is too much for thin aluminum. i know hpcoating also does it. i am going with jet hot though.

Woodsrider
05-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Send it here performance coatings (http://www.performancecoatings.com/) I suggest the chromex. Youll love it and it cleans up super easy. I dont think you have to worry about it chipping if its done right. I have seen alot of their headers on sand rails and they really can take a beating.

As soon as I finish modifying my WB head pipe to accept my stock heat shield, its going there;)

keepitpinned
05-19-2004, 08:37 PM
thanks soggyrider that looks like a good place. im going to get the exhaust done their. what does coating the exhaust ports do? is the exhaust ports on the actual engine or exhaust. do they do interanl coating on the exhaust too? i know the ceramic coating helps with heat, but does it do anything else? will the pipe still get hot?

Woodsrider
05-19-2004, 09:53 PM
If you call them they can answer all of your questions. They are super people to deal with. They can explain it all better than me.