PDA

View Full Version : My worst accident and THANKS

perry44
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi there:
Well I guess I should post my story too, since it has lesson and a kudos and a happy? ending i guess. I bought my 400ex back in october and was haveing a great time wadering around southeast washington exploring some of the better place to ride in our great state. I live in the tri-cities (Pasco, Richland, Kennwick, washington) and there are some great places out here consisting of a MX course, a juniper dunes orv park, spokane,wash. great orv park at the spokane river. Every weekend I was off enjouying a great ride somewhere, Since october i have crashed 4 or 5 times. Typical stuff i am sure. A rollover on the side of a sand hill, (twice:( ) bending the handle bars but not much lasting damage expect to my pride. Bouncing over the heavy sand ruts at the mx course and being bounce off and getting ran over by the back tire. Again no damage expect to my leg.. I limped for 4 days on that one, But my best?? one came as i was looking for something different and decided to go up to the Moses Lake ORV, Its about 70 miles away so i loaded up and took off. Beautiful spring day it was a sunday and life was good:) I found the orv park and was very impressed with the look of the place and couldnt wait to get out there. Well I was riding in the sand trail and really enjoying myself when i took this blind trail over this drop off. Usually this meant following a trail down but this time there was no trail as the blind spot hide the fact that it was a 8 foot veritical drop and my Quad went nose first into the ground. It happened so fast but what i could put together was i was hanging on and went flying into the handle bars and then flipped over landing down a sand revine . The fall alone stunned me but i took a little inventroy and decided my wrists hurt and my thigh hurt but i could move so i got up. I looked at my wrists and the left one was VERY misshapen and the right one was swelling fast. Through my jeans i could see i was bleeding from a place high on my thigh . My poor 400 was laying upside down:(. So there I was. All alone in the middle of this very big orv with bum wrists and hurt legs and my quad upside down. I give thanks to god always there were some other people rideing the orv that day and luckly one rider came close to me and i was lucky enough to flag her down. A very nice young lady about 20-30 range rideing a yellow sportrax. Well long story short. She and her friends help me get to the hospital and my quad into the back of my pickup and to the hospital too. For this I should forever be sooo gratefull to those great people. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Anyway I came out of it with two broken wrists and a deep gash in my thigh. Even now i have my casts on my wrists and suppose to be out for another month or so:((( My quad. No damage:)
Well I guess This is where i should warn people about rideing alone but you know something. As soon as I am able to ride again i will go out hopefully with a friend but if not i will go alone.:)

redrunner
05-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a horrific situation if no help would have been around. Man my last stupid wreck i am sooo glad I was with friends, bent my knee back trying to stop the quad from flipping on a small hill climb. They grabbed the quad but i could hardly move from pain. Acouple more weeks on crutches for me. Glad to hear you had help could have been like a Stephen King book or that dude that sawed off his arm hiking!:eek2:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I have 1 cast right now but two :eek: there is now way I could function with 2 casts :eek2: I am glad you were able to get help good luck with the recovery

Mr.Offroad
05-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Man, isn't that hair-raising? I had that happen at the Florence dunes to me and a buddy. We were playing a little cat-and-mouse in the foredunes near the beach. Same thing: tearing blindly through a trail with my buddy chasing me, came out of the trail, and about an 8 ft. dropoff to the beach. We were going too fast to stop, so I nailed the throttle and flew straight off it to the beach, making a safe, but hard, landing. I quickly looked over my shoulder at my buddy just in time to yell at him to do the same. He did, and also landed safely. Scared the CRAP out of both of us. Nice to see another Washington rider on here!